Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OE (I think) voltage regulators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
I bought the last solid state regulator Mark had hoping to solve my charging issues or at least eliminate it as the problem (can't get more than about 13v while running). I have 3 regulators that have been in the car over the years, but the last/newest one has been there for at least 20 yrs. I don't know if these are bad, good, or somewhere in between and I have no way of testing them. So no idea what they may be worth, if anything. Opinions?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 13 2022, 11:50 AM) *

I bought the last solid state regulator Mark had hoping to solve my charging issues or at least eliminate it as the problem (can't get more than about 13v while running). I have 3 regulators that have been in the car over the years, but the last/newest one has been there for at least 20 yrs. I don't know if these are bad, good, or somewhere in between and I have no way of testing them. So no idea what they may be worth, if anything. Opinions?

Damn, You get 13v when running? Wish i had that!

No idea on bench testing.

Havent installed it yet but i picked up one of these adjustable regulators a few months ago just to see what it will do. I run AGM Odyssey batteries in all my 914s and they tend to like a little higher voltage than 914 provide stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291674432232?fits=...%3ABFBMnOKWh-dg
emerygt350
I have a couple as well. Went to the hella solid state, 13.8 all day.
Geezer914
you can adjust these by bending the arm slightly. I have one that puts out 13.8 volts.
lesorubcheek
Here's a kinda neat setup for testing voltage regulators. Need a variable voltage DC supply that can exceed 14V and 12V light for an indicator, or you could substitute with another load meant to handle 12V and use a meter to measure the cutoff voltage.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_pag...?pic_id=1245795

Dan
fixer34
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Sep 13 2022, 06:41 PM) *

Here's a kinda neat setup for testing voltage regulators. Need a variable voltage DC supply that can exceed 14V and 12V light for an indicator, or you could substitute with another load meant to handle 12V and use a meter to measure the cutoff voltage.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_pag...?pic_id=1245795

Dan

I'll have to try that on the ones I have. Will see how a 12v test lamp does, some other threads I found say the DF voltage is only 5 to 8/10v
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 13 2022, 07:27 PM) *

I'll have to try that on the ones I have. Will see how a 12v test lamp does, some other threads I found say the DF voltage is only 5 to 8/10v

It'll be interesting to hear how it works out. I've never dug into understanding charging circuitry beyond diodes in an alternator since that's about all I've ever had to repair.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.