Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pull a Trailer - Porsche Road Trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
I'll soon be trailering our 356 chassis to my home garage so that I can work on it in earnest. Our route will be from Missouri to California, mainly along interstate 40. We'll be stopping at Ollies and California Motorsports (CMS) in Lake Havasu City to drop off our 914-6 engine and transmission.

Any Porsche stops, or even general cool car stuff, along the way we should make a point to see? I guess we'll go right by Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. That's about all I'm seeing that isn't a major detour. Our route doesn't take us through LA (i.e. Petersen Automotive Museum).

Any safety or sanity suggestions for driving a box truck and trailer half way across the country welcome as well. Done it a couple times. Can't say it's ever been what I'd call fun. Will have a good co-pilot, so that will help.
Click to view attachment

"Pull a Trailer" and PaT are trademarks of DennisV. All rights reserved. happy11.gif
NARP74
You can do some Route 66 stuff in some areas of your travels.
tygaboy
Safe travels! And say hi to Roger at CMS for me! They do great work.
silverg
Besides "Standing on the corner in Winslow Az", the historic La Posada Hotel and it's very good food is well worth the Interstate exit.
930cabman
Great trip planned. My wife and I travelled along Rt 40 almost exclusively across the country a couple years ago, in an RV. And had a great time, with the exception of Cadillac Ranch. Huge disappointment for both of us. Meteor Crater in AZ was much better. Safe travels
snakemain
Not Porsche related, but we always enjoyed stopping by Siegi's Sausage Factory and German restaurant when going through Tulsa. There's a couple good places to stop and eat in OKC (where we lived). We usually stopped in Amarillo for the night. Drury Inn was always decent with good parking for a trailer. The big steak house there is decent but overpriced. There's the Blue Hole when you get into NM. It's just a super deep spring where you can swim and dive or take a few pics and some random diners and tourist attractions. Not a lot in AZ unless you're going down to Phoenix besides the meteor crater.
TheCabinetmaker
If C is a night in Tulsa, I'll meet you for dinner. Lots of rt66 stuff here.
Krieger
Make sure the trucks AC works well. I had a Uhaul in Phoenix this summer that had some problems... Look forward to meeting up sometime.
DennisV
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 14 2022, 02:34 PM) *

If C is a night in Tulsa, I'll meet you for dinner. Lots of rt66 stuff here.

Thanks for the offer. I'm only stopping in Tulsa long enough to pick up my co-pilot. I'm hoping to make it to make it to Oklahoma City by the end of day 1.
bkrantz
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 14 2022, 08:43 AM) *

Safe travels! And say hi to Roger at CMS for me! They do great work.

Another upvote for CMS.
bkrantz
Not car stuff, but in Flagstaff the Lowell observatory has the telescope used to find Pluto, and the bigger scope that Lowell used to map the "canals" on Mars. And in ABQ, the National Museum of Nuclear science tells the story of the A-bomb and much more.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 14 2022, 07:32 AM) *
Any Porsche stops, or even general cool car stuff, along the way we should make a point to see?

Hooters in Amarillo, right off 40. Stopped there a few times for breakfast ...
biggrin.gif

kerensky
This little gem is in Sapulpa, outside of Tulsa... https://www.heartofroute66.org/

If you're up for the 'slow road', the original Route 66 is still a state highway between Tulsa and OKC. Takes about an hour longer than driving on I-44, but no tolls, and you can stop at Sonic in Chandler for a coke. wink.gif

The 21C Hotel in Oklahoma City is a neat bit of auto-related history, as it is in a historic building that was originally a Ford assembly plant that built Model Ts. Bit pricey but nice hotel that doubles as an art museum. Let me know if you stay - the architecture firm I work for offices in the west end of the building. https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/oklahomacity/
930cabman
You may be in the mood for a good steak, don't miss the Big Texan, steak dinner is free, but you must finish the meal, complete with a 72 oz steak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.