Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Florida 914 Community
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
It's hard to believe that there is not a more vibrant 914 community here in the Sunshine State. No, we don't have the best roads to exercise a 914 but we do have incredible driving weather for six months out of the year. So why is it so dull down here as far as 914 events? Actually, they are non-existent. It is my suspicion that there are a lot more 914s in Florida than what appears on 914World. What can be done to get them out of the woodwork and get some events planned and executed? Hey, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy this car as I did with my 928 and 356 of the past.

Ansbacher
fixer34
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 15 2022, 07:17 PM) *

It's hard to believe that there is not a more vibrant 914 community here in the Sunshine State. No, we don't have the best roads to exercise a 914 but we do have incredible driving weather for six months out of the year. So why is it so dull down here as far as 914 events? Actually, they are non-existent. It is my suspicion that there are a lot more 914s in Florida than what appears on 914World. What can be done to get them out of the woodwork and get some events planned and executed? Hey, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy this car as I did with my 928 and 356 of the past.

Ansbacher

Next time I'm in Tampa (my sister lives there) I'll look you up. A bit far to drive mine down, but at least you can show yours off...
seanpaulmc
I live in Orlando and am working on saving a 914.
I grew up in Tampa.
In the last 20 years I’ve seen maybe 5 teeners in the wild.

At the time of writing this I’m at Okteenerfest in TN.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

Sean
siverson
Have you tried to organize an event?
Literati914
I’m wanting/trying to move back there soo bad!

I know there’s a member or two around the Panama City area.. so yea I would search “Florida” and see who’s posted what, then reach out to them. Also, maybe reach out to the local chapter of the PCOA - if they don’t have a list of 914s you could at least join them @ get together and drives. I plan on at least doing some trips down that way at some point soon, and would love to meet up with other teeners beerchug.gif
Good luck!

carr914
We used to be pretty active and got together once a month or so.

But, URY914 moved, ThePaintedMan is about to, I don't have a 914 anymore etc
racer914
I'm in North Central Florida (Keystone Heights). Mine ('74) is in the conversion process...hoping for paint before year end. My son lives in St. Johns and his is in about the same stage. There are several in Jacksonville too.
I have other P cars though so always up for a gathering
914 Ranch
Check it out, this is my smiley. jsharp.gif I earned it by having 914 gatherings at my home in Huntington Beach. We used to gather about once a month back then. TC and the boys where having breakfast about once a month back then also. But now I live in what's called central Florida. There is nothing central about where I live and it's not close to anything. We have friends in both ends of the state. Over 8 hours in both directions. All that said, it would be an honor to host 914 events here at the New Team NARP Headquarters.
I thought about gathering twice a year. In the spring and the fall.
Fallis almost here and I don't think we have the time to plan an event.
The Mid Florida Mid Spring Madness.
Mid, Mid, Mid, Mad!!!!!
My Ribs are BADASS.
There it is, let's try it and see what happens.

Click to view attachment
jdamiano
There are a few of us here in NE Florida that get together. We had about 9 at a PCA event maybe a year ago. We want to try and do something when the weather cools down. Racer914 has offered to show us his shop in Keystone so we just talked about making that a destination if he’s still down.

We also do a drive every New Year’s Day. It’s air cooled so we get 911s and a few other Porsche models that join.

Here is a link to our Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/groups/173500443282124/
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 15 2022, 04:17 PM) *

Ansbacher

Typically they bus the 914s to Martha’s Vineyard when they want to have a party
rick 918-S
You all need to take Joe up on his offer. I have been to one of his events in Hunting. He is an awesome host! chowtime.gif party.gif jsharp.gif
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 17 2022, 08:19 AM) *

Typically they bus the 914s to Martha’s Vineyard when they want to have a party

Didn't they try that once, but they were all towed away before the charcoal was even lit?
sholman5
I get together with James and 2 others in Jax. We have 5 914 owners in the Daytona Beach area. I've met Joe at a few KKs in New Smyrna.
I'm always up for a drive and yes the roads are not the greatest, but for me it doesn't matter as long as I'm driving my 914. It's hard when people are 2 or 3 hours away. We need to find a central location that would work for all.
MCShack
I know in Pensacola area it seems to be the "Air-Cooled" Car Clubs that include VWs and the like that have the most active members.
Bullethead
There are terrific roads in Florida, you guys in Jax, Orlando and Tampa are surrounded by them! For those of us from Miami to WPB, it sucks. But there are events to participate in, FOG for us 356 owners, and recently an inexpensive fun rally in February called the Gator Crawl. Mainly old 911s with other vintage stuff included, routes start in the Mt. Dora area. Daily runs around 150 miles +/-, about 450 miles total over three days. Mike Dileo brought his '72 914 a couple of years ago, let's see some more! Will need to get 2023 details but stay tuned.

Alternatively, picking a start spot in the general area north of Orlando to meet works for me, December to March preferred. Loosely organized is fine, although hotels pre-booked helps. So many great county roads, open Google maps and wander... you'll be surprised.
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Sep 16 2022, 01:08 PM) *

Check it out, this is my smiley. jsharp.gif I earned it by having 914 gatherings at my home in Huntington Beach. We used to gather about once a month back then. TC and the boys where having breakfast about once a month back then also. But now I live in what's called central Florida. There is nothing central about where I live and it's not close to anything. We have friends in both ends of the state. Over 8 hours in both directions. All that said, it would be an honor to host 914 events here at the New Team NARP Headquarters.
I thought about gathering twice a year. In the spring and the fall.
Fallis almost here and I don't think we have the time to plan an event.
The Mid Florida Mid Spring Madness.
Mid, Mid, Mid, Mad!!!!!
My Ribs are BADASS.
There it is, let's try it and see what happens.

Click to view attachment

This is tempting me to move to Florida just for Joe’s bbq’s.

windforfun
A pic of the barbeque grill? Come on, how about a pic of your car?
914 Ranch
Thanks goes out to Rick and Ravi. I have had people from all over the world. The farthest one was Ming from Singapore, from stateside Ed and Jen Morrow from Connecticut and 1 visitor from Florida. All to my house in Huntington Beach Ca. (the old Team NARP Headquarters). That's where I perfected my Ribs. At the last gathering there Mike Wills @quickmove asked me how I got my Ribs so tender and juicy. I told him it's all I the time. It can take more than 6.5 hours at 225°. I have fed TC at an event here years ago.
The cars, I have 2 914's. NICE 914 a car of the month winner and a race car project currently called AR 14. I am also the proud owner of a Cayman GT4.
The race car.

Click to view attachment

She weighs in at just over 1600 pounds.
914 Ranch
My other car is a Porsche.

Click to view attachment

At the Avenues in Redondo Beach Ca where I learned to body surf as a child.
I live on a lake and my back yard is an Acer of grass so not only is there camping but we have 3 kinds of Bass. The Bigmouth go well over 20" and I have no idea how big the catfish get.
At the old Headquarters I had 86 people, here I have had over 100 3 times.
I am not intimidated by feeding a crowd. I will make my events worth your drive with flavor alone. My Ribs are served like I like my women, "Hot and Naked" . I use only Applewood for smoking, no marinade, rub or seasoning. I cook them until they have at least 1/4 inch pull back of meat from the bones. At that point the bones will pull out.

They call this Central Florida but being only 30 miles from the cost I'm not central to anything.
43727 Bear Lake Blvd
DeLand
Google it.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Sep 18 2022, 09:38 PM) *

There are terrific roads in Florida, you guys in Jax, Orlando and Tampa are surrounded by them! For those of us from Miami to WPB, it sucks. But there are events to participate in, FOG for us 356 owners, and recently an inexpensive fun rally in February called the Gator Crawl. Mainly old 911s with other vintage stuff included, routes start in the Mt. Dora area. Daily runs around 150 miles +/-, about 450 miles total over three days. Mike Dileo brought his '72 914 a couple of years ago, let's see some more! Will need to get 2023 details but stay tuned.

There are a few nice roads in Florida, I'll give you that, but when you live in Pinellas County and have to weather an hour and a half drive to just get out of the clutter and red lights, it's just not at all convenient or enjoyable.

Ansbacher
jdamiano
We should plan a drive around this. I have gone the last few years and it’s a great event. Let me know if you’re interested and me and Chris can map out a drive.
sholman5
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Sep 19 2022, 05:42 PM) *

We should plan a drive around this. I have gone the last few years and it’s a great event. Let me know if you’re interested and me and Chris can map out a drive.

I have a few ideas for a drive. Maybe the loop thru Tomoka state park and A1A along the coast North toward St. Augustine.
Bullethead
agree.gif Daytona works, great event... or Sebring a month later. There's a fun loop of smooth county roads southwest towards Arcadia, and I've done the backwoods route from Amelia a couple of times. Lovely drives, and the weather should be perfect.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Sep 19 2022, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Sep 19 2022, 05:42 PM) *

I have a few ideas for a drive. Maybe the loop thru Tomoka state park and A1A along the coast North toward St. Augustine.
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Sep 19 2022, 07:51 PM) *

agree.gif Daytona works, great event... or Sebring a month later. There's a fun loop of smooth county roads southwest towards Arcadia, and I've done the backwoods route from Amelia a couple of times. Lovely drives, and the weather should be perfect.

Click to view attachment

i would come down for the HSR Sebring possibly at end f November but the 4-5th is Hilton Head Island Concours, and the Car Club Showcase/C&C in HHI, which my car is part of, so no-can-do for Daytona .

Phil
seanpaulmc
Wrapped up for Ian.

Click to view attachment

Even with the power out I think all 914 lovers / owners are optimistic.

Click to view attachment

Hope you all make it through safely and without incident.
Looking forward to a Florida 914 gathering!

Stay safe!
Literati914
Thoughts and Prayer are with y'all !!

SO.O.C914er
Stay safe Fla914 people look forward to hearing from you on the backside of this! sad.gif Would it be better to take that car off the jacks so it doesn’t get lifted into the air from the wind getting underneath it?
URY914
Today while home thanks to Ian I was able to pull my engine out.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 29 2022, 09:38 PM) *

Today while home thanks to Ian I was able to pull my engine out.
IPB Image

Out of what? There is not much of a 914 left there. poke.gif

I love the way you made a bolt on wheel for the back of the transmission. What did you do to the front to be able to roll it around????
930cabman
Hope all the good folks in FLA made it through ok. The media shows a sad picture sad.gif
racer914
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Sep 17 2022, 06:30 AM) *

There are a few of us here in NE Florida that get together. We had about 9 at a PCA event maybe a year ago. We want to try and do something when the weather cools down. Racer914 has offered to show us his shop in Keystone so we just talked about making that a destination if he’s still down.

We also do a drive every New Year’s Day. It’s air cooled so we get 911s and a few other Porsche models that join.

Here is a link to our Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/groups/173500443282124/

I'm up for it! Let's plan something

Dave
URY914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2022, 06:27 AM) *

I love the way you made a bolt on wheel for the back of the transmission. What did you do to the front to be able to roll it around????

Clay, I made up these little casters that are mounted on a base and welded to an angle then bolted to the engine bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
This was a few storms ago, but this guy had the right idea.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 30 2022, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2022, 06:27 AM) *

Clay, I made up these little casters that are mounted on a base and welded to an angle then bolted to the engine bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That is a very cool idea! Makes aligning the motor easier when putting it back in and they are small so they don't take up a lot of space when not in use.

Mind if I copy the idea and adapt it to my six?

Clay
URY914
Clay,

It's not patented. beerchug.gif

I have 2 little bottle jacks and I put them under the engine bar and jack it up and use my floor jack under the tranny. This way I can jack it up and keep it level as it goes up.

Not rocket science, but effective.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 1 2022, 07:27 PM) *

Clay,

I have 2 little bottle jacks and I put them under the engine bar and jack it up and use my floor jack under the tranny. This way I can jack it up and keep it level as it goes up.

It is a hell of a good idea. I wish I had thought of it

Up until now I have just been setting the engine on a set of jackstands and not moving it while it is out. This would be much easier.

I have some casters laying around that I can use for mine, and I have a welder.

Now how do I attach the casters to the front of a six??

930cabman
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 30 2022, 07:55 PM) *

This was a few storms ago, but this guy had the right idea.

It's all about priorities.
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 2 2022, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 1 2022, 07:27 PM) *

Clay,

It is a hell of a good idea. I wish I had thought of it

Up until now I have just been setting the engine on a set of jackstands and not moving it while it is out. This would be much easier.

I have some casters laying around that I can use for mine, and I have a welder.

Now how do I attach the casters to the front of a six??

Just make a plate that duplicates the bulkhead mount. Not exactly because it doesn’t have to weld to the car. Just enough to bolt onto the other stuff de of the engine mount and receive on or two castors. One might be enough of there are two out back mounted on the transmission mounts.
Jared did something similar to move my 912 around. Why make a whole frame when someone me adaptors will accomplish the same thing.

jesiv
I just moved from SF Bay Area to Pensacola/Milton. I haven’t found any curvy road other than some exits… I am resurrecting my 1975 1.8. Actually going to try and spin up the engine today. Looking to find a 914 community as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.