Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front spoiler suggestions - V8 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
I need a front spoiler to direct air into the radiator cut out of the front bumper on my 1974 914 V8 conversion (narrow body).

I far prefer the OEM front valance to any front spoiler but I definitely need some kind of air dam.

Unfortunately at the moment budget is a big factor, so I was hoping to get a used LE front spoiler - but I haven’t seen one in quite a while so that seems unlikely.

Can you please share any thoughts, suggestions and/or experiences regarding the American International Racing (AIR) version versus 914Rubber (the only ones I found online so far)?

Years ago I read here how poorly all of the fiberglass versions fit .

I bought a fiberglass version of the OEM style here last year and since it has tabs but no pre-drilled holes I am wondering how difficult it is to Mark and drill holes that will allow for the best possible alignment .

For reference the cut out on my front bumper is 650 mm (25-5/8”).

Click to view attachment
Robarabian
You are welcome to the spoiler on my green car. Has a small chip on one side that is fixable. Price is right.. free...Click to view attachment
jcd914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Sep 27 2022, 08:11 PM) *

I bought a fiberglass version of the OEM style here last year and since it has tabs but no pre-drilled holes I am wondering how difficult it is to Mark and drill holes that will allow for the best possible alignment .

I did this recently with an LE replica from 914rubber.
Held the spoiler in place with blue painter tape (a lot) and then marked it, took it off to drill it and I think it fits ok.

Jim
Montreal914

...For reference the cut out on my front bumper is 650 mm (25-5/8”).

Marcus, what bumper? poke.gif

Sounds like Rob has solved your problems all together! smile.gif
Steve
Check out Renegade hybrids
https://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/914valance.html
They have several designed for v8 conversions.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 28 2022, 04:28 AM) *

Just checked out their wall of shame barf.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 28 2022, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 28 2022, 04:28 AM) *

Just checked out their wall of shame barf.gif

Yeah those are pretty bad. It doesn't take much to get it wrong. Lot of sharp edges on those!

I have the renegade valance and it fits great. Pushes a lot of air through for sure.
MM1
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 27 2022, 10:58 PM) *

You are welcome to the spoiler on my green car. Has a small chip on one side that is fixable. Price is right.. free...Click to view attachment

Wow, Rob-many thanks, Sir! I’ll take it!!

Let’s just put this on the list - must be at least a half-dozen proper steak dinners I owe you . . .
MM1
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 28 2022, 02:13 AM) *

...For reference the cut out on my front bumper is 650 mm (25-5/8”).

Marcus, what bumper? poke.gif

Sounds like Rob has solved your problems all together! smile.gif

I know, right?
MM1
I spoke to someone at Renegade - off the record, I was told that the design is a bit off center.
tygaboy
If you get a regular fiberglass GT front valance, it's easy enough to cut and widen the opening to exactly match your bumper. I did that to a friend's V8 conversion.
We ended up widening and lowering the opening to make it a bit deeper.
And here's what I'm using on my car. Clearly, it's not yet bolted on. I don't know when I may get to it but I plan to pull a mold from this one and be able to reproduce it.
Montreal914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 28 2022, 12:43 PM) *

If you get a regular fiberglass GT front valance, it's easy enough to cut and widen the opening to exactly match your bumper. I did that to a friend's V8 conversion.
We ended up widening and lowering the opening to make it a bit deeper.
And here's what I'm using on my car. Clearly, it's not yet bolted on. I don't know when I may get to it but I plan to pull a mold from this one and be able to reproduce it.

Thank you for showing pictures of the result. Did it ended up being about the same height as an LE one? I am thinking about modifying an LE and creating an intake opening for cooler, but with the LE already having a reduced height in the center portion, I fear it will make that section too thin and will not look as good.

I will be looking forward to seeing you making replicas of this valance! smilie_pokal.gif
tygaboy
@Montreal914 - Here's a pic of the car with the modded valance. Note that's a fiberglass bumper and I opened that up, too.
The angle makes it look like the openings don't align. They do! I don't know much about stock 914 parts so couldn't tell you how this compares with an LE air dam.
Montreal914
I was referring to the valance you got on eBay you are showing in your picture. How does that one compares in height (whole valance not the opening for the cooler) to an LE valance since they share a similar design. My LE is stored in the rafters, but I would be interested in comparing heights.

Thanks!
tygaboy
OK then - here's that one. Again, no idea what an LE measures.
Montreal914
Thanks!

Pulled out my LE replica and measure closer to 4 3/4". Clearly your very hard to find valance is a good 3/4" taller with the nice cooler opening. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.