Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler shield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
Mine is missing and what is left behind looks like someone took a pair of pliers and yanked it off during a pit stop.

Is this part available just as a shield or part of a trunk patch? I looked at a couple of suppliers but I am not finding anything.
worn
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 29 2022, 12:51 PM) *

Mine is missing and what is left behind looks like someone took a pair of pliers and yanked it off during a pit stop.

Is this part available just as a shield or part of a trunk patch? I looked at a couple of suppliers but I am not finding anything.

Also, if you have one, are the different versions interchangeable? If I backdate the exhaust on a 76 can I use the earlier version? Not to hijack the thread, but if new ones are made, which version?
914werke
I dont know of anyone reproducing them but I have one or more late ones.
The early version seems to be harder to come by.
NARP74
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 29 2022, 10:17 PM) *

I don't know of anyone reproducing them but I have one or more late ones.
The early version seems to be harder to come by.

Mine is a 74, I assume late? Got any pics?
914werke
My mistake down to the last one. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
here is example of late, conditing is similar.
LMK

bye1.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
actually they had 91450159410 superseded by 59411, the 914-6 was screwed in, the fours were welded in
NARP74
Heat protection plate, that is why it did not turn up in any of my searches under all the other names I tried.
914werke
It (was) available HERE

bye1.gif
NARP74
@914werke send me a PM
NARP74
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 30 2022, 01:55 PM) *

@914werke send me a PM

Thanks, never mind about the PM...
Mikey914
I know when I had some work done on my car Cary made it so that it could screw in. No need to weld it, and easier to service.
NARP74
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 30 2022, 05:13 PM) *

I know when I had some work done on my car Cary made it so that it could screw in. No need to weld it, and easier to service.

Got any pics? That sounds doable. This car is not very nice and I don't weld.
nathanxnathan
70 model year 4 cylinder cars, they screwed on. I know 72's they are welded. I'm not sure about 71's
NARP74
Looking for pics of early bolt on heat protection plates, AKA muffler heat shield.
SA-914
I ended up welding nuts to the underside of the shield, everywhere there was a welded tab. I have small, countersunk screws in the truck....
NARP74
I don't weld, but I could do nutserts or something similar.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are plenty of the used ones available
DaveB
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 30 2022, 12:46 PM) *

It (was) available HERE

bye1.gif

Thanks for posting the link. An hour after I clicked the buy button you sent the shipping tracker and its delivered tomorrow. I thought Mark was fast at 914Rubber. You're more like 914Amazon.

DaveB
914werke
biggrin.gif just the luck of the day (go buy a loto ticket!) to catch me on the computer rather than wrenching on a cust car.
Mikey914
QUOTE(DaveB @ Oct 6 2022, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 30 2022, 12:46 PM) *

It (was) available HERE

bye1.gif

Thanks for posting the link. An hour after I clicked the buy button you sent the shipping tracker and its delivered tomorrow. I thought Mark was fast at 914Rubber. You're more like 914Amazon.

DaveB

Sorry guys the day job has kept me busy. I was checking my photos and don't know if I have one. He used tinnerman nuts on the body and drilled the shield to screw through adding a lock washer.

I miss Cary

I haven't had a chance to get out to the car yet.
nathanxnathan
The factory removable ones, the brackets are attached/welded to the heat shield and there are speed nuts/clips on the flanges of the brackets.

When I took mine off my early 70, it may or may not have been the factory install so I can't say for sure how the factory did it, but there were Phillips head screws down through the trunk floor, and they were covered in seam sealer and painted over.

I can get a pic later of the heat shield with the brackets attached with the speed nuts in place.
nathanxnathan
I didn't realize that the early and late are actually different stampings. The early one is rounder in profile and straight at the edges, no cutout bits like the late one.

Here's the 1970 early removable one
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

and the late one on a fairly early 72
Click to view attachment
NARP74
@nathanxnathan Thanks, that helps a lot.
Montreal914
Here is what I did (lower part of this post):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2910494

Missing picture in the thread, holes in the trunk done using template. Shield bolts on perfectly.

NARP74
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 7 2022, 09:14 AM) *

Here is what I did (lower part of this post):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2910494

Thanks for showing me that.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 29 2022, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 29 2022, 12:51 PM) *

Also, if you have one, are the different versions interchangeable? If I backdate the exhaust on a 76 can I use the earlier version? Not to hijack the thread, but if new ones are made, which version?

Ahem. At the risk of repeating myself. How interchangeable are they vis a vis exhaust lines? Make any difference. With the 3.2 I decided to use machine screws cause it just made more sense.
Thanks.
majkos1
Of the later heat shied,
what's the purpose of notch and rounded cut out?
NARP74
@worn did you get an answer? I don't know. @majkos1 I don't know since I don't have one yet. Still learning...
914werke
@Worn Based solely on the vast # of /6 conversions the exist & have been running around for decades Id suggest there is no real "interference" issue.
Think of it this way the 911, /6 and the /4 banana OE mufflers were/are kidney shaped not straight /right angled like the late shield ...but still fit w/o clearance issues.
So unless going for originality, a late shield should do the job intend just fine.
914werke
QUOTE(majkos1 @ Mar 4 2023, 10:15 AM) *
Of the later heat shied, what's the purpose of notch and rounded cut out?

confused24.gif Its been discussed before.
Could be argued that the round cut (& wire tabs) was for the routing of the EGR wiring cept, they exist on shields prior to 75 ? huh.gif
Front yard mechanic
I prefer no shield it keeps my burritos warm
914werke
Just dont put your ice cream in the trunk on the way back form the grocery store.
majkos1
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 4 2023, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(majkos1 @ Mar 4 2023, 10:15 AM) *
Of the later heat shied, what's the purpose of notch and rounded cut out?

confused24.gif Its been discussed before.
Could be argued that the round cut (& wire tabs) was for the routing of the EGR wiring cept, they exist on shields prior to 75 ? huh.gif

makes sense.

I also thought since the body I have (and chopped up) was a '76 Calif. 914 so,
calif emission stuff?

Sorry Guys, the shell was severely cracked up and PO didn't want it repaired.
sawzall-smiley.gif party! beerchug.gif
Most of the good parts found good homes. aktion035.gif
worn
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 4 2023, 10:25 AM) *

@worn did you get an answer? I don't know. @majkos1 I don't know since I don't have one yet. Still learning...

Kind of. My ‘76 has a burned out shield and I have a replacement that looks different. Presumably i am putting an early shield on a newer car. But. The heat exchangers will be back dated. So i will just wait and pop rivet whatever fits when the painting is done
bkrantz
Here's my 73 muffler shield bolt-on modification. Two new brackets that bolt through the shield.
bkrantz
Brackets welded to the trunk floor.
bkrantz
Shield bolted on. All this was before I did paint. I eventually had the shield powder-coated with high-temp powder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.