Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Am I Gettin Old?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
seanery
There's a John Denver special on PBS right now and I like it...it reminds me of simpler times. Am I getting old, or just sentimental? wacko.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (seanery @ Aug 7 2005, 07:10 PM)
There's a John Denver special on PBS right now and I like it...it reminds me of simpler times. Am I getting old, or just sentimental? wacko.gif

Both, but there's nothing wrong with that! beerchug.gif
qa1142
hearing is going too I think w00t.gif laugh.gif chairfall.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (seanery @ Aug 7 2005, 06:10 PM)

john who? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Sean... this is a "public" forum. Other people are reading this! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 7 2005, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ Aug 7 2005, 06:10 PM)
There's a John Denver special on PBS right now and I like it...it reminds me of simpler times. Am I getting old, or just sentimental?  :wacko:

john who? confused24.gif

Folk singer...did Rocky Mountain High....did a face plant in a experimental plane off the coast of Monterey awhile back.....97 I think....

Used to say HI, I'm John Denver a lot....=dork.

Real name, John Deutschendorf Jr
bd1308
i like john denver....reminds me of nature stuff.

smile.gif
URY914
I've seen it too and I liked it. sad.gif

What have I become.....

p
neo914-6
Songs tend to remind you of moments of times in your past, sometimes good sometimes...

I saw Sky High and it played alot of new versions of 80's "modern" rock songs and Lynda Carter saying "who do you think I am, Wonder Woman?" laugh.gif

spare time toys
Didn't like him back then, Still don't icon8.gif
MecGen

Wisky taste of moonshine
tearsdrop in my eye
Take me home Country Road
To the place I belong

RIP
bd1308
sad.gif i was whistling that song ever since this thread came up.

it was sad he died......

sad.gif
redshift
I hate Bob Denver! I never liked that damned TV show, even as a kid! That whole thing about the skipper not beating him to death, after the first time he snubbed a rescue! RIGHT!

Physics don't exist in that area, I guess... wherever is three hours from... Catalina? WTF?

Don't get me wrong! I love a good 'Ginger v.s Marianne', and even I could overlook Mrs. Howell's age, for those kinds of $$$$$$$$'s!!!

I wish the boat had sunk in the storm.

mad.gif

ohmy.gif I wasn't aware he had died in a plane crash!? GOOD!

M
Joe Bob
No relation, goatbreath.... cool_shades.gif
redshift
unsure.gif

Who?

M
Allan
I was just going to say that sucks but I don't know if your talking about John or Bob Denver....

My position is that I:

1: Like Bob Denver

2: Hate John Denver

Sorry if you disagree.....
rhodyguy
faaaar out!! you have to be ancient to remember that from the tonight show.i saw jd live once. very good show. "sunshine on my shoulder, makes me happy..." . he had a thing for getting dwis in his 356. that would be BOB denver miles rolleyes.gif . i'll show my age a bit more. jd sang with the new christy minstrals too. now that's old!!

k
SLITS
Made some damn good acoustical music..........simpler times, not really......you were just unaware of the problems as you were trying to get laid.

Good pilot except for that one small error.............

And Allan...you deserve the hell you live in.. flipa.gif see if you can get your oil temp to 350 and head temp to 500.
Lou W
Sean, Maybe you should go rent "Oh God" or maybe watch a couple Muppet reruns biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
hulabaloo, where the action is, the loyd thaxton show. don't get me started. quick trivial crap. what soon to be top hatted keyboard player was on hulabaloo? hint... master of space and time.

k
reverie
First concert I ever went to - John Denver.

Second concert - Three Dog Night.

Third concert - Rufus with Chaka Khan.

Fourth concert - Ella Fitzgerald. cool.gif cool.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 7 2005, 06:52 PM)
unsure.gif

Who?

M

just say "nevermind" in Gilda Radner's deaf reporters voice...
rhodyguy
emily latella. mwc.
redshift
huh.gif

They aren't the same guy?

M
rhodyguy
on the planet britt lives on, bob and john are the same name. dry.gif but not ness the same person.

k
redshift
Sorry... sad.gif

.... maybe it's the word Denver that I don't like.. mad.gif

YEP! DAMNED DENVER!!!!!! Baggage!!

M
SP9146
Rocky Mountain High wasn't too bad of a song. Something about "everyone 'round the campfire getting high"....
Brent
Sorry....can't hang with you on that one.

Just caught "Ultimate Albumns" and featured was AC DC, Back in Black. That kept me up until 2 am last night. I think I was headbanging and hearing the Hell bell in my sleep. Woke up very tired!
-Brent
jonwatts
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 7 2005, 07:44 PM)
No relation, goatbreath.... cool_shades.gif

Actually they were brothers.

Why do I know that?
Curvie Roadlover
Sean, John Denver?
It's like, I don't even know who you are anymore. rolleyes.gif
redshift
Just because it's full of drug references, doesn't make it good music.

You have to have a drinking problem, and be weird too.

"unshine On mY Houlder" beats "Afternoon Delight" with a huge stick.

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Aug 7 2005, 08:17 PM)
hearing is going too I think w00t.gif laugh.gif chairfall.gif

agree.gif

I'd rather listen to Gilligan sing than John Denver... Damn hippy!

and anytime someone mentions "thank god I'm a country boy" I think of pauly shore...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 7 2005, 09:11 PM)
hulabaloo, where the action is, the loyd thaxton show. don't get me started. quick trivial crap. what soon to be top hatted keyboard player was on hulabaloo? hint... master of space and time.

k

I didn't see him on that show, but you gotta be referring to Leon Russell.

"Homesweet Oklahoma on my mind". rolleyes.gif

Okay, what do I win? biggrin.gif

Sorry Sean, JD was never a cup of tea I could sip. sad.gif
redshift
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 8 2005, 10:01 AM)
I think of pauly shore...

Just *HAD* to use the nucalear option... it's you that is sick!

M (w)
bd1308
what planet do I live on?
redshift
Your feet, Earth, your head, (Y)uranus.

Thank you! 3 shows!

M
rhodyguy
chairfall.gif

k
smg914
I never was much of a John Denver fan until I saw that same PBS special a year ago or so. I never realized what a talented singer/songwriter he was. I'm now a fan. I play and sing with my acoustic guitars and harmonica's about 2 to 3 hours a day (sometimes more) and if you play Rocky Mountain High properly on the guitar, it's a difficult song to play. Neil Young is still my inspiration. I play and sing 35 N.Y. songs. Love him or hate him, most musicians agree that Neil is a great singer/songwriter.
Lou W
Neil Young is still my inspiration. I play and sing 35 N.Y. songs. Love him or hate him, most musicians agree that Neil is a great singer/songwriter.

"Rust Never Sleeps" did he own a 914? biggrin.gif
Thorshammer
I know he was a little corny, But you have to remember the times were different then. Through song he connected with many (me for one) and saved several. One of the best stories is told by his former wife, Annie. a year after John was killed in a plane accident (Burt Rutan Long EZ) a young woman wrote her and let her know she (the young girl) had planned on killing herself one evening. After having a final meal with her parents, she went to her room and prepared her concoction of sleeping pills, barbituates and arsenic. She was depressed and just as she picked up her pills a John Denver song called Poems, Prayers and Promises came on the radio, She listened to his words and choose NOT to go through with it. I feel few song writers really truly have this type of inspiration in their words. Many can easily preach hate,rape,death,adultery and because their lyrics are shocking young people swoon.

This man, albeit in a sappy way moved us by the millions, yet thought his life was a total failure. This was a great American and in his words I found a solid pathway as I matured. Many of his words I put to use everyday. His search for grace was never found. I hope mine is, and my son follows. For some of you that do not know who he was, he was part hippy, part naturalist,part adventurer and tremendously talented. His own adultery cost him the absolute love of his life. The woman (Annie) he used as much of his inspiration. He was a hopeless romantic that worked with everyone from George Burns, Jaques Coustou (SP) to the Muppets.

If you could'nt stomach Disco or Acid rock (as it we called in those days) yet you still wanted inspiration, maybe JD was your cup of tea. He was the number one instrumental/Vocalist in the seventies and into the eighties. after all of his success, he died doing what he loved, flying planes. He was survived by his wife Annie, whom is now a shrink, and two children in their 20's. Please read the following, it saved a young girls life.

POEMS PRAYERS AND PROMISES:

I've been lately thinkin' about my lifes time
All the things I've done and how it's been
and I can't help beliving in my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end

I've seen alot of Sunshine
slept out in the rain
Spent a night or two all on my own

I've known my ladies pleasures
Had my self some friends
Spent a time or two in my own home

I have to say it now, it's been a good life all in all
It's really fine to have a chance to hang around
Lie there by the fire, Watch the evening tire
While all my friends, and my old lady sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of Poems, Prayers and Promises
and things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone
How right it is to care

How long it's been since yesterday
What about tomorrow?

And what about our dreams and all the memories we share

The days the pass so quickly now
Nights are seldom long
Time around me whispers when it's cold

Changes somehow frighten me
still I have to smile
It turns me on to think of growing old

For though my lifes been good to me
there's still so much to do
So many things my mind has never known

I'd like to raise a family,
Like to sail away
and dance across the mountains on the moon

I have to say it now, it's been a good life all in all
It's really fine to have a chance to hang around
Lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire
While all my friends, and my old lady sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of Poems, Prayers and Promises
and things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone
How right it is to care

How long it's been since yesterday
What about tomorrow?
And what about our dreams and all the memories we share

Grace, pure and simple. We all need some.

Erik Madsen
bd1308
smilie_pokal.gif thats EXACTLY why I love John Denver.
ClayPerrine
From TwistedTunes.com..... Twisted Tunes - Page of Songs starting with an O

Oh God! I'm an Ocean Buoy

(Parody of Thank God I'm a Country Boy by John Denver)

Took a flight from Monterey
And I never came back
Bought a plane from a kit
That was built by a quack
Jumped in the cockpit
And downed a six pack

And now I'm an ocean buoy

Well, it's hard when you're flyin'
And your sluggin' on a bottle
Flying in a plane
That's an experimental model
Reached for Jim Beam
But instead I grabbed the throttle

Oh God! I'm an ocean buoy

Well, I grabbed the controls
And I started to fiddle
Got flames coming up
On my face like a griddle
Air flight's nothin'
But a funny funny riddle

Oh God! I'm an ocean buoy

Well, my head's chopped to pieces
And my body's full of dents
They identified me
By my guitar's finger prints
I tried to dry out
But instead got a rinse

And now I'm an ocean buoy

Well I'm feeling kinda down
And I'm sinking kinda low
In the undersea world
Of Jacque Cousteau
Bobbing up and down
When the trade winds blow

'Cause now I'm an ocean buoy

Well, I grabbed the controls
And I started to fiddle
Got flames coming up
On my face like a griddle
Air flights nothing
But a funny funny riddle

Oh God! I'm an ocean buoy. Woohoo!

When the plane dove down
It was nothing but a riddle
My pants got wet
When I started to piddle
George Burns appeared beside me
And we prayed just a little

Woo! Oh God! I'm an ocean buoy

Yea, I know..... I am a sick puppy....... wacko.gif

redshift
huh.gif

l

m

a

o

m
smg914
Well said Erik. Thanks for sharing that great story. As a musician myself I'm constantly amazed by the poet/singer/songwriters like Dylan, Denver and Young. Their words and music are truly inspirational.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 8 2005, 10:18 PM)
Well said Erik. Thanks for sharing that great story. As a musician myself I'm constantly amazed by the poet/singer/songwriters like Dylan, Denver and Young. Their words and music are truly inspirational.

sorry man, but mentioning Denver with Dylan and Young(2 of my all time favorites) just ain't right... just not right, I tell you!

smg914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 9 2005, 06:18 AM)

sorry man, but mentioning Denver with Dylan and Young(2 of my all time favorites) just ain't right... just not right, I tell you!

Yeah, I know what you mean and I kinda have to agree with you. But when I saw that PBS special and heard all the great songs he wrote, that really made me realize what a great poet/songwriter he was. After reading Erik's story it leads me to believe he was another one of those gifted/eccentric people that wake up in the morning with words and music in their heads. When I sing and play their songs I keep asking myself, "Why can't I write a song like that"? Sometimes after performing a Neil Young song I'll just sit there for a minute thinking WOW what a great freekin' song. And most of the time it's a song that you would never hear on the radio.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 9 2005, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 9 2005, 06:18 AM)

Yeah, I know what you mean and I kinda have to agree with you. But when I saw that PBS special and heard all the great songs he wrote, that really made me realize what a great poet/songwriter he was. After reading Erik's story it leads me to believe he was another one of those gifted/eccentric people that wake up in the morning with words and music in their heads. When I sing and play their songs I keep asking myself, "Why can't I write a song like that"? Sometimes after performing a Neil Young song I'll just sit there for a minute thinking WOW what a great freekin' song. And most of the time it's a song that you would never hear on the radio.

yea, I'll give Denver some credit, but not "Dylan and Young" level of credit... smile.gif those guys are gods among men pray.gif some of Young's lyrics just cut right to you... and you have to wonder if Rock would have ever gotten a great political voice if Dylan hadn't given it first...

Cheers!
beer.gif
morph
I grew up listening to John Denver. My grandparents have all the records. I like to hear his music from time to time. I have always been sort of a fan.

HIEDI
smg914
If you're a Neil Young fan you've got to get the newest issue of MOJO CLASSIC magazine. I got mine a Borders for $12.95. It's the Neil Young issue. Some really great stories, pictures and articles all the way back to before he was with the Buffalo Springfield when he was in the Squires. Great stories from the CSN&Y days too. Make sure you get the MOJO "CLASSIC" issue not the regular MOJO magazine with U2 on the cover.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 9 2005, 10:42 AM)
If you're a Neil Young fan you've got to get the newest issue of MOJO CLASSIC magazine. I got mine a Borders for $12.95. It's the Neil Young issue. Some really great stories, pictures and articles all the way back to before he was with the Buffalo Springfield when he was in the Squires. Great stories from the CSN&Y days too. Make sure you get the MOJO "CLASSIC" issue not the regular MOJO magazine with U2 on the cover.

idea.gif I might stop by on the way home... I love Niel Young's music...

I think "Weld" is 1 of my top 5 all-time favorite albums... (choosing Decade would be cheating wink.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.