Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 purchase question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Motosan
I am looking at a 1973 2.0 that is running but is going to need a trans rebuild in the near future. Paint and interior need some love but that’s not really important to me. There is rust present under the door panels but nothing that seems structural. Engine is running strong and has new tires and wheels.
I’m trying to gauge what a fair ballpark price is for 914. I know I’m not giving every detail but just curios what a ballpark has been for a car that’s going to need a lot the very least a minor trans rebuild.
Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the information on this forum!
NARP74
Here is one close to me just for comparison.
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/aurora-...7539992133.html
The answers you get will be all over the range due to dozens of questions that need to be asked.
You can check BAT for recent sales too.
rjames
There is rust present under the door panels but nothing that seems structural

Do your research to find out where to look for structural rust. It can quickly turn what looks to be a great looking car on the outside into a parts car.

Lots of information on this site if you take the time to look. Post pictures of what you're looking at and you'll get plenty of input.
emerygt350
Gotta pull the cover off the longitudinals and peak into the hell hole (first). If those look good you need to look everywhere else. Not worth looking anywhere else till you know about those two spots.
mepstein
You are probably underestimating the rust issues.

welcome.png
brant
Never buy a 914 without pulling the rockers
Any rust you can see is often 10x worse than it looks
Lockwodo
Pictures would be good.
iankarr
I made a series of videos for people new to 914s. Check out the ones called “what is the hell hole” and “rust never sleeps” and you’ll have a better sense of what to look for. Agree with mark that rust on the door sills isn’t encouraging. This community is eager to help. You’re in the right place!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCYkBdj...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs
Superhawk996
welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Every one that is new to 914s underestimates rust. Post photos of the car or being someone familiar with 914s with you before you buy.

No way to help you establish value without photos.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Motosan @ Oct 14 2022, 02:47 PM) *

but nothing that seems structural.

Famous last words before buying a rust bucket.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 15 2022, 09:05 AM) *

I made a series of videos for people new to 914s. Check out the ones called “what is the hell hole” and “rust never sleeps” and you’ll have a better sense of what to look for. Agree with mark that rust on the door sills isn’t encouraging. This community is eager to help. You’re in the right place!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCYkBdj...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Ian’s videos are awesome - watch all of them before you consider buying a 914.

If you get value from them, subscribe to help Ian for going to the trouble of making such professional videos for us as a community.
StarBear
Might want to Check out Dr. 914’s video, also. Very good. Auto Atlanta.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Motosan @ Oct 14 2022, 11:47 AM) *

I am looking at a 1973 2.0 that is running but is going to need a trans rebuild in the near future. Paint and interior need some love but that’s not really important to me. There is rust present under the door panels but nothing that seems structural. Engine is running strong and has new tires and wheels.
I’m trying to gauge what a fair ballpark price is for 914. I know I’m not giving every detail but just curios what a ballpark has been for a car that’s going to need a lot the very least a minor trans rebuild.
Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the information on this forum!

Best of luck in your search. "rust present under the door panels" needs more clarification and pics. Pay close attention to the experts here. The rust is always worse than it looks. Value could be $2,500 to $25,000 depending on a whole bunch of factors.
Motosan
Thanks for all the replies. I will post pics with the panels taken off. It has been to a local shop and looked over. They said the hell hole and structural body panels are in good shape. Some rust in the rear trunk and along door frames but still worried a little until I get into greater detail.
mepstein
My local mechanic is great and knows a ton about cars. I still wouldn’t expect him to do a good job assessing a 914. It’s only after you cut up a couple and repair a couple that you really start to understand how and where they rust. They all have it. And in a round about way, it’s all structural.
krazykonrad
Rust in the door panels means there is structural rust in a lot more places that you can’t see. That being said, there are a lot of Porsches that had a little bit of door rust 25 years ago that have been restored into high $$$ cars.
Motosan
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 15 2022, 07:49 PM) *

My local mechanic is great and knows a ton about cars. I still wouldn’t expect him to do a good job assessing a 914. It’s only after you cut up a couple and repair a couple that you really start to understand how and where they rust. They all have it. And in a round about way, it’s all structural.

They guys that looked at the car only work on vintage Porsches and have built a lot of 914s. I’m hoping that’s they are right! I will be getting the car slowly taken apart over the next month.
Mikey914
Sounds like you bought it.

If it's a CA car, you will probably be better off that a MI car. There is almost always rust of some form. there are a few unicorns, but they are that.

Congratulations on your purchase, how about some pics?
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2022, 04:30 PM) *

You are probably underestimating the rust issues.

welcome.png

Yes. welcome aboard and agreed, chances there is rust lurking
Motosan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 16 2022, 12:08 AM) *

Sounds like you bought it.

If it's a CA car, you will probably be better off that a MI car. There is almost always rust of some form. there are a few unicorns, but they are that.

Congratulations on your purchase, how about some pics?

Mikey914
Looks pretty clean. A little elbow grease and she'll be a looker. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
'Oil canning' of the front wheelwell interior trunk. Sure sign of impact and shoddy repairs. If unfamiliar, find and pay another owner who knows the pitfalls to look at the car. Best money you will ever spend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.