Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut Insert Failed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Costa05
Replaced my tie rods today to help remove a bump steer wobble I get when hitting uneven pavement. Test drive was ok but still there. Noticed that I get zero vert movement when pushing down on the right front fender, whereas left front I get 1" to 2" of travel. In addition right side is 1" lower than left at rest. Is it the strut insert that failed? It does extend out when raising car to remove wheel though. Original setup on the car. 73 with late struts and calipers.
mepstein
They do fail after 50 years.
lesorubcheek
I don't have too much experience with old strut inserts, but the few I've changed usually had zero resistance over a range and then they'd dampen for the remainder. None of the dozen or so I've changed ever just locked hard. Maybe they can, again, just never saw it personally. I'd almost guess the adjuster for your torsion bar backed out and bottomed out on that side.

Dan
Costa05
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Oct 16 2022, 08:45 PM) *

I don't have too much experience with old strut inserts, but the few I've changed usually had zero resistance over a range and then they'd dampen for the remainder. None of the dozen or so I've changed ever just locked hard. Maybe they can, again, just never saw it personally. I'd almost guess the adjuster for your torsion bar backed out and bottomed out on that side.

Dan

Dan you were right. I added about 3 full turns to the right side tortion bar adjuster. Rt side leveled out with left and now I have some strut & tortion bar travel to work with. Test drive was a big improvement. Thanks!
Rich
bdstone914
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Oct 16 2022, 10:08 PM) *

Dan

Dan you were right. I added about 3 full turns to the right side tortion bar adjuster. Rt side leveled out with left and now I have some strut & tortion bar travel to work with. Test drive was a big improvement. Thanks!
Rich

Put some Blue Loctite on the adjuster screw irvit will back out again.
Bruce
Costa05
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 17 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Dan

Rich

Put some Blue Loctite on the adjuster screw irvit will back out again.
Bruce

Great advice Bruce. Interesting outcome is now that I have restored the control arm travel, I now have squeaking right front bushings. Next project on the list.

bdstone914
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Oct 17 2022, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 17 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Dan

Rich

Put some Blue Loctite on the adjuster screw or it will back out again.
Bruce

Great advice Bruce. Interesting outcome is now that I have restored the control arm travel, I now have squeaking right front bushings. Next project on the list.

The squeak may be the torsion bar rubbing on the housing.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually it is the red koni oil shocks that fail by freezing "up". no movement what so ever

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Oct 16 2022, 05:23 PM) *

Replaced my tie rods today to help remove a bump steer wobble I get when hitting uneven pavement. Test drive was ok but still there. Noticed that I get zero vert movement when pushing down on the right front fender, whereas left front I get 1" to 2" of travel. In addition right side is 1" lower than left at rest. Is it the strut insert that failed? It does extend out when raising car to remove wheel though. Original setup on the car. 73 with late struts and calipers.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.