Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passenger mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
I picked up a mirror I want to use on the passenger side. The base was easy to rotate but I can’t get it to mirror to rotate on the shaft. I took the nut and spring off but it still doesn’t move at all. Anyone know what I need to do?
mepstein
Soak the joint in penetrating oil. If it won’t move, remove the glass and get to the joint behind the glass. Do not force it!

Edit. I see you have the glass off already. Penetrating oil behind the washer and then remove the washer. Don’t pry a screwdriver between the washer and the housing. The stainless steel housing is thin and deforms easily.
jdamiano
Got it. Lots of WD-40 and a back an forth freed it up. Now I have to drill holes in my door. Scary!
fsh2liv
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Oct 17 2022, 12:36 PM) *

Got it. Lots of WD-40 and a back an forth freed it up. Now I have to drill holes in my door. Scary!

Remove inner door panel and punch from the inside, through the existing nuts. Then drill.
mepstein
You can also measure or make a template from the driver side holes.
Jamie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2022, 04:59 PM) *

You can also measure or make a template from the driver side holes.

But drill tiny holes first to see if you have accurately found the nuts under the door skin.
Montreal914
Yes, that is exactly what I did using a 1/16" drill bit. I ended up pretty close to the center of the tapped holes. I used the features on the driver side door as reference such as the front window track recess in the door top portion. Using masking tape on the passenger door, I created my lines and target to replicate the driver side.

Once the 1/16 hole was done and determined to be within the tapped hole, I gradually opened it up using a Dremel with a small burr since my 1/16" pilot hole wasn't perfectly centered.

Here is the result after plugging the useless holes that had been done by one or the POs.

Click to view attachment

Good luck! smash.gif
Cairo94507
Excellent- clean the threads by running a tap through them and you are good to go. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(fsh2liv @ Oct 17 2022, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Oct 17 2022, 12:36 PM) *

Remove inner door panel and punch from the inside, through the existing nuts. Then drill.

I like this method, but Mepstein method works fine. Just takes more faith.
jdamiano
I had faith! Made a template from the drives out of masking tape and drilled them out no problem. Used some touch up paint on the bare metal. Now I just need to screw it on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.