Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hinge post Crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
Just curious if anyone has seen this damage at the hinges? Is it indicative of some larger problem? Can I just weld it up or does it need reinforcement?

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
Can you explore for rust inside the pillar?
dlee6204
My first thought was someone sat on the door which pulled on this area enough to crack.

My next thought was if your car had enough flex from rust while driving it could generate a fatigue crack over time.

With that being said, I think you could weld it up. You must keep the hinge plate loose though for door adjustment.
obscurity
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 29 2022, 09:32 PM) *

Can you explore for rust inside the pillar?

Maybe with an endoscope?
obscurity
From the back side there is definitely a little rust but it does not look bad.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

takes a lot of action to cause that fatigue
Does the door drop when it opens, do you have to lift it to close ?
mepstein
Grind off the paint and get the full story.
930cabman
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 30 2022, 08:32 PM) *

takes a lot of action to cause that fatigue
Does the door drop when it opens, do you have to lift it to close ?

My thoughts exactly, something acted on this section to create this type of stress cracking. Finding the cause is another story, but welding will not fix the problem.
Cairo94507
That had to be from someone sitting on top of the door. That should weld up nicely. beerchug.gif
vitamin914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 31 2022, 09:48 AM) *

That had to be from someone sitting on top of the door. That should weld up nicely. beerchug.gif

agree.gif A crack typically will grow perpendicular to the axis of major stress. Looking at the shape of the part it is hard to imagine a force acting perpendicular to that crack from any body flex etc. especially since the mount bends 90 degrees towards the front of the car.

It doesn't look like the car was ever hit into that fender area based on the rust photos.

With someone sitting on the end and/or driving around with the door wide open that is the exact fracture you would expect to see. The moment arm would pivot on the bottom hinge with the top hinge resisting all the force as the the bolt is trying to shear at the holes. That is why the crack is larger at the top bolt. Likely that the bolts were not fully torqued or loose when it happened.

If the door is original to that damage it may have stretched the hole on the hinge and made it oval. Also check to see if the top bolt shown in the first photo is still perpendicular to the surface. If it angles outwards, there is a good chance that force down on an open door did the damage.
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 31 2022, 06:48 AM) *

agree.gif
mgphoto
Look at the bottom hinge mounting surface, is it perfectly flat, or is there a dimple at the very bottom, if so the door was forced downward.
Jim2
Rusty seized hinge pins will cause this type of fatigue.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jim2 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:38 PM) *

Rusty seized hinge pins will cause this type of fatigue.

agree.gif
Excellent point.
Is the top hinge on the door tight ?
cholland_
Unfortunately dealing with the same issue to a worse extent. The car had been sitting indoors for close to 20 years (much of it without doors installed), so I'm not sure what fatigue it experienced to cause this. Tried simply welding the crack before it was painted, but it reoccurred about a year later.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Purchased this to replace as much metal as possible and am toying with the idea of adding a reinforcing plate on top.
IPB Image
obscurity
It seems odd that this would occur with the backing plate between the exposed steel and the loose plate
Cairo94507
If you add a reinforcing plate to the new piece, add it from the rear if possible. I am surprised this failed again so quickly. How is the metal you welded? beerchug.gif
mepstein
It doesn’t need to be reinforced, just properly repaired. If it came back after a fix, it wasn’t the right fix and there’s probably more at play. You may have to remove the front fender and get to the overlapping metal pieces.
obscurity
I was not talking about adding reinforcement. from the first endoscope image it looks like there is a thick steel "cup" between the visible steel and the threaded loose plate
bbrock
One thought on this is that welds are brittle compared with surrounding sheet metal. It might be better to create a patch that moves the welds away from the chronic stress areas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.