Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 LSD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Did any 914-6 come from the factory with limited slip differential?

Based on what I see in the factory parts catalog, there is no reference to 914-6 that includes LSD.

If the answer is "yes" some came with LSD, is there a way you can tell by looking without opening the case?

Click to view attachment
Gustl
yes - it was the option M220
you can see it on the tag where the tranny-type and number is stamped in
I can show you an example pic, as soon as I'm home from office
mepstein
smile.gif
mgphoto
Search for the user Gustl he asked the same question and the answer was the number 914/01 10 for the first line says LSD 10 indicates 80/20 whereas 12 would indicate 60/40 slip settings.
sixaddict
So I was under impression if you turn output flange fwd the other side goes the same direction there is an LSD….you would not know OEM or aftermarket but that’s my 2 cents
Gustl
here is an example for a 914-6 transmission with LSD

Click to view attachment

and this one for a standard 914-6 transmission

Click to view attachment
914werke
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 3 2022, 10:54 AM) *

Anybody remaking this tag?
I would really like to get one.
Cairo94507
@mgphoto I would shoot CarBone in Poland an email with that picture. It would not surprise me if they could get it done. beerchug.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 3 2022, 08:19 AM) *

Search for the user Gustl he asked the same question and the answer was the number 914/01 10 for the first line says LSD 10 indicates 80/20 whereas 12 would indicate 60/40 slip settings.

Thanks for that suggestion. I think I found the thread you're referring to. Since there are no numbers following the 914/01, that suggests it is NOT LSD. Thank you.

Click to view attachment
schleups
I just purchased a 1974 2.0 liter - it has over 100,000 miles (odometer is broken - I plan to repair.)

Transmission code is "HB 02 05 3" which tells me it has limited slip. To my knowledge the transaxle has not been repaired; when on a lift the rear wheels rotate in opposite directions - implying no LSD evident. Is it possible that the LSD is still present but "worn out"?
Thank you for your thoughts/insights.
cjshpcoa@gmail.com

Charlie

mepstein
QUOTE(schleups @ Sep 5 2023, 04:25 PM) *

I just purchased a 1974 2.0 liter - it has over 100,000 miles (odometer is broken - I plan to repair.)

Transmission code is "HB 02 05 3" which tells me it has limited slip. To my knowledge the transaxle has not been repaired; when on a lift the rear wheels rotate in opposite directions - implying no LSD evident. Is it possible that the LSD is still present but "worn out"?
Thank you for your thoughts/insights.
cjshpcoa@gmail.com

Charlie

It doesn’t sound like it has an lsd.
windforfun
Doesn't a LSD have to be disengaged at speeds above 5 mph? What's the difference between a LSD & posi-traction?

confused24.gif
slivel
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 6 2023, 08:58 AM) *

Doesn't a LSD have to be disengaged at speeds above 5 mph? What's the difference between a LSD & posi-traction?

confused24.gif

I would call LSD a generic term that could refer to a friction disc style limited slip or a torque biasing style. As I recall, posi-traction was a marketing term used by Chevrolet or GM for their LSD. My memory may be faulty on this and I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I'm not accurate.
flipb
QUOTE(slivel @ Sep 6 2023, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 6 2023, 08:58 AM) *

confused24.gif

I would call LSD a generic term that could refer to a friction disc style limited slip or a torque biasing style. As I recall, posi-traction was a marketing term used by Chevrolet or GM for their LSD. My memory may be faulty on this and I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I'm not accurate.

Posi-traction was a GM trademark term.

Click to view attachment

And it was not available on the 1964 Buick Skylark!
Cairo94507
What a hottie!
Dave_Darling
I believe the stock limited-slip uses clutches. They can and eventually do wear out. I don't know if they would make the car behave exactly like an open-diff car when they do, but it might.

Limited-Slip Differential is a broad term that encompasses many different types of diff, from locking diffs to clutch-type ones to worm-gear types (e.g., Torsen) and more besides. Posi-Traction is one specific type, and as noted above was specific to GM cars.

--DD
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 6 2023, 06:50 PM) *

I believe the stock limited-slip uses clutches. They can and eventually do wear out. I don't know if they would make the car behave exactly like an open-diff car when they do, but it might.

Limited-Slip Differential is a broad term that encompasses many different types of diff, from locking diffs to clutch-type ones to worm-gear types (e.g., Torsen) and more besides. Posi-Traction is one specific type, and as noted above was specific to GM cars.

--DD

Yes, when any clutch type limited slip diff wear out the clutches, the diff then starts working like an open diff.

And you have to disassemble the diff, and replace the clutches. It is not an easy job. It takes some patience to get the clutch pre-load correct.

I much prefer Torsen style diffs. No clutches to wear out.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2023, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 6 2023, 06:50 PM) *

--DD

Yes, when any clutch type limited slip diff wear out the clutches, the diff then starts working like an open diff.

And you have to disassemble the diff, and replace the clutches. It is not an easy job. It takes some patience to get the clutch pre-load correct.

agree.gif I'm with Clay on that.
I have a 914 4cyl. trans (stamped HB, with Shell lube tag and
LSD diff carrier) that spins both hubs in the same direction.
So very likely clutches kaput.
technicalninja
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2023, 07:12 PM) *

That is an understatement!

I vastly prefer Torsens as well.
Only bad aspect of a Torsen is that it cannot be tuned. You cannot adjust how the clutches work because it has none.
Torsens are "road race" differentials in my book.
Drag racing requires a different approach and a standard clutch style or a true "locker" is usually better.

In the import world O.S. Gliken is the normal go to competition differential. These are completely adjustable clutch style and when you turn your Miata or S2000 into a track only car it is common to remove the Torsen (which it came with) and install a Gliken.

One thing to remember...
Clutch or Torsen vastly increases the temperature of the differential oil.
They only add the heat when they are functioning but if you're on a track where these are working a lot, adding some form of differential cooling is critical to the life of the differential. Clutches are far worse than worms in this respect but they both add big time heat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 7 2023, 06:20 AM) *

Errhm, if both spin the same direction, your LSD is working.

On an open diff, the wheels will spin the opposite direction.
shades.gif
ClayPerrine
The transmission I have on the 2.4L six has a Quaife in it. It was great on the AX course. I have not broken down and purchased one for the G-86-21 transmission I have in my six conversion now.

I do miss having it.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 7 2023, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 7 2023, 06:20 AM) *

Errhm, if both spin the same direction, your LSD is working.

On an open diff, the wheels will spin the opposite direction.
shades.gif

Ehhh.. Andy is right. I just said it wrong.
gms
I found on in this 914-4
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 8 2023, 11:11 AM) *

I found on in this 914-4

My LSD story is in there too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.