Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzapisek
Have just completed a refresh of my 1.7 motor. Have engine on stand and all tins mounted. Ready to mate back to the tranny. Question is whether its easier to mount the heat exchangers and muffler while on the stand and install as one unit?

Appreciate some guidance.

Thanks.
DRPHIL914
just my 2cents worth, i've had my motor out a couple times and ihave taken it out and put it back in both ways, and it seemed easier to install it all as one unit if you have the proper jack under it. I think you have an easier time getting the heat exchangers or headers on the motor when its out than laying on your back under the car to do that.

Phil
jhynesrockmtn
I just did this and installed the exhaust once the engine/trans was back in the car. I have a lift though. Not sure what your situation is. You can't spin the motor on the stand with the exhaust mounted so it was easier for me to do it later.
barefoot
If you're on an engine stand, easy to install H/E's there. I ran the engine before installing & re-torued the H/E's then
bbrock
I'd agree it is probably a little easier installing HEs while the engine is on a stand, but would say it is splitting hairs. With a clean engine, exhaust studs in good condition, and HE pipes trued up into a flat plane so they mate perfectly with the exhaust ports, installing from under the car is not a hard job at all. Take away any of those condition and it can be a miserable job.
roundtwo
A cautionary tale...if mounting the HE while the the engine is on the stand..
Make sure they are absolutely clean on the inside before rotation of the engine on the stand. It's super tempting to rotate the bottom of the engine up to face the ceiling for easy access the HE fasteners. Even minute crud can make its way out of the HE into the exhaust ports of the heads with the help of gravity.

If you go that route, just be aware how much you rotate the engine on the stand and all will be good.
930cabman
As far as I know the heat exchangers must be installed after the axels. Please correct me if I am wrong.
r_towle
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 4 2022, 06:18 PM) *

As far as I know the heat exchangers must be installed after the axels. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nope

Engine, trans, heat exchangers, exhaust are all removed and installed together ( can be, but not required)
Axles stay in car mounted to wheel hub.

r_towle
I have done this both ways….but it’s harder to move the engine around and never put weight on the heat exchangers while getting it off the lift to put on the trans , so I tend to leave them off and install when in the car…but you can do it either way

Or, engine does fit well on a milk crate with enough room to install trans
Tjmrfe
Just did this this past spring. Installed mine as one unit, was a little delicate. But made sense to me. I also had a an assistant when I was wiggling the motor in…good luck! Great stuff!
mzapisek
I have a lift and the tangerine plate gonna go with trans and HE on in one shot.

Thanks for the replys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.