Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at new tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Amphicar770
For tool storage, I have recently become a huge fan if the Mikwaukee Packout boxes. I've got dedicated boxes for electrical, brakes, etc. and just grap the ones I need at the moment.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 1 2022, 11:45 PM) *

For tool storage, I have recently become a huge fan if the Mikwaukee Packout boxes. I've got dedicated boxes for electrical, brakes, etc. and just grap the ones I need at the moment.

Click to view attachment

They are cool sets. I would grab them if I needed mobility but they are pretty expensive for toolbox storage in the garage.
Don914
There had been a question about use of a 22 mm wrench. It is rare but I needed a 22 mm flare nut wrench for the bottom connections on the fuel tank. I also have SK socket sets (used to be SK Wayne) from the 60's. They remain in great condition. I bought a few wrenches from them a couple of years ago and the quality seems very good. However, they were sold to a Chinese company several months ago and online sales were suspended for a few months. The site is back up now but I don't know if the quality is the same. Home Depot is certainly not my go to source for tool storage, but I really liked a 52 in rolling workbench with good drawer placement. Critical to me was that their "Standard Duty" was 20 or 22 gauge steel and seemed really flimsy while their "Heavy Duty" was 18-19 gauge. What I got was the 19 gauge although $150 more. Seems very solid, good drawer opening and closure and large wheels, plus solid wooden top elevates for comfortable work height and exposes storage area below. However, the elevating top means no vice. It was OCD but I cut some masonite and covered wood. I even ended up with an empty drawer ...... which means I need more tools.
jd74914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2022, 11:53 PM) *

They are cool sets. I would grab them if I needed mobility but they are pretty expensive for toolbox storage in the garage.

agree.gif on both counts. The Ridgid ones are actually pretty well priced and almost as nice TBH. I have one for some different drill sets that I move a lot.

I really do like the Milwaukee Packout sets for socket sets though, way nicer than anything I've seen before. Though priced a little higher too...
Montreal914
QUOTE(Don914 @ Dec 2 2022, 07:13 AM) *

There had been a question about use of a 22 mm wrench. It is rare but I needed a 22 mm flare nut wrench for the bottom connections on the fuel tank.

Good info! smile.gif

I think this might have been discussed before, but I assume someone has compiled a list of wrenches/socket sizes that are needed for our 914s? idea.gif

One of the reasons for this question is that as I am getting new/used tools, I would like to make myself a nice traveling kit with my old tools. Maybe a combination of sockets/ratchets in a case and the rest in a soft rolled tool organizer. Grab those two and a bin of key spare parts/fastener and be ready for a road trip. smile.gif driving.gif

...Obviously, that will be when my car is back on the road. rolleyes.gif headbang.gif
Amphicar770
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 2 2022, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2022, 11:53 PM) *

agree.gif on both counts. The Ridgid ones are actually pretty well priced and almost as nice TBH. I have one for some different drill sets that I move a lot.

I really do like the Milwaukee Packout sets for socket sets though, way nicer than anything I've seen before. Though priced a little higher too...

Yes, the socket packout is one of my favorites. The flat sided sockets are also quite nice.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.