Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod boot extension- Tangerine bushing.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteinjp
My car has the tangerine bushing installed and while it does have a groove for the rubber boot in my case (may be related to the shift rod??) the boot just would not stay on when going into R,2, or 4. I measured the O.D. and found it conveniently to be 2.25" and ordered this 2.25 to 2.5"I.D. exhaust adapter:

IPB Image

A little chopping, belt sanding and then some hammer work on a simple buck yielded this:

Click to view attachment

Installed (slip fit but may do use some sealant to keep water out:)

Click to view attachment

In action:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Just thowing this out there in case others have the same problem- which I admit is unlikely but anyway....

Best!

Pete
Cairo94507
That is a very nice solution when using the TR firewall bushing. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Im not clear how the adapter is held in place from the picture ?
davep
Jim, he says it is a slip fit, so expect that means a friction fit with possible degrees of looseness. Probably some silicone sealant would secure it and provide sealing against any water penetration.
peteinjp
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 13 2022, 10:56 PM) *

Jim, he says it is a slip fit, so expect that means a friction fit with possible degrees of looseness. Probably some silicone sealant would secure it and provide sealing against any water penetration.

Exactly- its just pressed onto the O.D. of the bushing carrier. I'll glue it on next time I have the car up.

Pete
peteinjp
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 13 2022, 10:04 PM) *

That is a very nice solution when using the TR firewall bushing. beerchug.gif

Thanks- it was a fun little project. Sometimes that's the time I have for car stuff.

jim_hoyland
Got it smile.gif Great idea, I have the same situation.
nditiz1
I'm confused, did you have the issue before the TR bushing? It seems to me either the boot is not in spec or it wasn't put on properly. I only say this as the distance between the ring that the shift rod has is welded is a certain amount from the end of the rod which should be the same spec for any 914. That is then attached to the same fixed length spec rod going through the firewall. I'm not understanding how if all factory specs the boot would come off in 2,4,R unless the boot was never installed correctly over the firewall lip OR the boot is so worn it no longer retains the hold around the firewall flange.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Nov 13 2022, 01:43 PM) *

I'm confused, did you have the issue before the TR bushing? It seems to me either the boot is not in spec or it wasn't put on properly. I only say this as the distance between the ring that the shift rod has is welded is a certain amount from the end of the rod which should be the same spec for any 914. That is then attached to the same fixed length spec rod going through the firewall. I'm not understanding how if all factory specs the boot would come off in 2,4,R unless the boot was never installed correctly over the firewall lip OR the boot is so worn it no longer retains the hold around the firewall flange.

He has an early car. There is no ring on the firewall to retain that boot.
The groove on my bushing carrier doesn't provide a lot of grip because the od of the carrier isn't quite large enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.