Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is there a trick/art to this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
we have followed the videos and tried to mallet them in "like the factory" but they just won't go in...either side.

A lot of the seals, have had to be adjusted/trimmed. Is there some trick to getting these in and the window track far enough to bolt in?
Mikey914
These are a pain, but this might help

https://914rubber-tk.com/doku.php?id=triang...al_installation
hndyhrr
Those are more than a PITA. We put them in according to 914 rubber instructions. Had to Take em in and out a couple of times but finally got it. The biggest hard part to me was getting them adjusted after seal was on. Patience, Pirate language, Beers, and remember to step away for a bit and then go back to it.

good luck
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Nov 27 2022, 10:43 PM) *

we have followed the videos and tried to mallet them in "like the factory" but they just won't go in...either side.

A lot of the seals, have had to be adjusted/trimmed. Is there some trick to getting these in and the window track far enough to bolt in?

Had to trim material off the bottom of mine to get them to sit deep enough. Lots of rework necessary to get proper fit. Lots of trial fitting - trim a little at a time - assess fit, trim some more. Repeat over and over.
Type 47
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Nov 28 2022, 05:06 PM) *

Those are more than a PITA. We put them in according to 914 rubber instructions. Had to Take em in and out a couple of times but finally got it. The biggest hard part to me was getting them adjusted after seal was on. Patience, Pirate language, Beers, and remember to step away for a bit and then go back to it.

good luck

made 2 feeble attempts but now getting advice...thanks!

going back with real shrink wrap tomorrow
bkrantz
I never got the repro seals to fit evenly. I bought new "factory" seals (probably also a reproduction compared to 1973 originals) and got a better fit.
pfreiburger
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 29 2022, 10:17 PM) *

I never got the repro seals to fit evenly. I bought new "factory" seals (probably also a reproduction compared to 1973 originals) and got a better fit.

I also installed new factory seals on my 1973. Not a fun job but not horrible either - no trimming was necessary, just lots of silicone and tape covered tools. I did compare the old and new ones beforehand and they looked identical. I guess some parts are worth getting from Porsche.
Type 47
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 27 2022, 08:25 PM) *

Thanks for the link. A couple things that sparked a different approach and finally getting them in.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
I pride myself in doing a lot of the "fiddly" crap on these cars. This was right up there with the air box in the frunk. A royal PITA.

Takes time and patience and understanding.
And a few IPA's doesn't hurt either.
Type 47
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 3 2022, 09:04 PM) *

I pride myself in doing a lot of the "fiddly" crap on these cars. This was right up there with the air box in the frunk. A royal PITA.

that reminds be I have to get some extra-large rubber bands.
Type 47

got that in today
Click to view attachment
914rrr
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 5 2022, 09:42 PM) *

got that in today
Click to view attachment

I've often wondered how to get those air deflectors in without destroying them and/or the surrounding new paint. My Olympic Blue 73 2.0 had NOS ones installed by the OG PO during an obvious full in-out repaint. I tried removing them from previous parts cars, mostly unsuccessfully. IIRC, somebody told me the factory kinda lined them up and "smacked" them into place until they popped in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.