Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know the proper rubber insert for this tool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
This is a spark plug tool from a 911 -914-6 tool kit. It’s missing the rubber insert. Anyone know where to source the insert? Click to view attachment
fixer34
Do you need the 'official' insert? Mine has a slightly different spark plug tool, not sure where it is from. But I think it is more of a sponge rubber type.
Maybe buy a cheap plug socket from your FLAPs and take the insert out?
mb911
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 30 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Do you need the 'official' insert? Mine has a slightly different spark plug tool, not sure where it is from. But I think it is more of a sponge rubber type.

not necessarily need the official one just don't know exact specs so I can make one or source one.
PatMc
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 30 2022, 11:21 AM) *

not necessarily need the official one just don't know exact specs so I can make one or source one.

I usually just chop a piece of the boot off an old spark plug wire and shove it in there (hard boots obviously don't work)
mb911
QUOTE(PatMc @ Nov 30 2022, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 30 2022, 11:21 AM) *

I usually just chop a piece of the boot off an old spark plug wire and shove it in there (hard boots obviously don't work)

That’s a good idea. Of course I don’t have extra wires at the moment but I will look for one.
fixer34
Socket and insert from a FLAPS. It is not 'necked down' though like yours. Might have to trim the insert-it is high density sponge rubber.

Click to view attachment

This is the plug tool I have. Anyone recognize it?
I didn't want to pull the insert, but it looks like a harder rubber. As suggested, like a plug wire boot. Maybe make a junkyard trip and pull a couple?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 30 2022, 03:40 PM) *

Socket and insert from a FLAPS. It is not 'necked down' though like yours. Might have to trim the insert-it is high density sponge rubber.

Click to view attachment

This is the plug tool I have. Anyone recognize it?
I didn't want to pull the insert, but it looks like a harder rubber. As suggested, like a plug wire boot. Maybe make a junkyard trip and pull a couple?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

That appears to be the standard plug tool that came with my 73 914-4 tool kit.
mskala
I have the whole tool, but the rubber fails to grab any more, so
I pulled out the rubber. So this is what it looks like.
Click to view attachment
Sierra Madre is selling new spark plug wrenches but they don't really
match the old ones, so like everybody else, I think I want to find a cheap
new generic one and grab the insert if it matches well enough.
tom.esh
Maybe try some fuel hose or heater hose. A bit of hot glue to hold it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 30 2022, 06:48 AM) *

This is a spark plug tool from a 911 -914-6 tool kit. It’s missing the rubber insert. Anyone know where to source the insert? Click to view attachment

@mb911

Do you have an insert from a 944 spark plug tool?
I think they are very similar. If i remember correctly the insert has four ribs that run lenghtwise.
Bruce
iankarr
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I like to use a short length of fuel hose around the top of the plug to twist it out / in. I only use the socket to break it loose or torque it down. So maybe you don't need the insert wink.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 30 2022, 08:48 PM) *

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I like to use a short length of fuel hose around the top of the plug to twist it out / in. I only use the socket to break it loose or torque it down. So maybe you don't need the insert wink.gif

agree.gif great tip
mb911
QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 30 2022, 05:48 PM) *

Great idea as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.