Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can someone identify this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
Not sure I remember this in the disassembly or with any of my other 914's.
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
What year is your car?
windforfun
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 5 2022, 06:53 PM) *

Not sure I remember this in the disassembly or with any of my other 914's.
Click to view attachment

That doesn't look stock. Four terminals... Hmm... I think I see a brown ground wire. The tape isn't factory correct either.
Type 47
an early 75'
ejm
That is for the EGR counter box that would be in the passenger footwell if the car has that equipment.
windforfun
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 5 2022, 07:50 PM) *

That is for the EGR counter box that would be in the passenger footwell if the car has that equipment.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Type 47
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 5 2022, 07:50 PM) *

Awesome.

Of the 7 914's I've owned (all earlier than MY 75) I've never seen this.

What is an EGR counter box?

I'm assuming this car was not equipped with one.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 5 2022, 07:29 PM) *

What year is your car?

Again I ask?

It connects to the EGR counter in the pass footwell foam block. It’s in the 75-76 cars, CA models only. If you have a 74 model year it’s not original to your chassis.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 5 2022, 09:13 PM) *

What is an EGR counter box?

It is a box that sits in a recess in the foam at the front of the passenger footwell. When the car has driven a certain number of miles, it turns on the "EGR" light in the dash. It gets reset by pressing a button on the box. The Haynes manual has an illustration of it, I believe.

The box is driven by a speedometer cable that is a different length (shorter?) than the "normal" one, and a second cable goes from the box to the speedometer.

As has been stated already, not all 75-76 cars came with one.

--DD
Gatornapper
Interesting. Guess my '76 CA car has this tho I've not uncovered it. It does have the EGR light but it doesn't work.

Speedo cable in my car has been replaced, but new cable goes directly from tranny to speedometer. Old cable remains in place.

GN
Chris H.
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 6 2022, 08:12 AM) *

Interesting. Guess my '76 CA car has this tho I've not uncovered it. It does have the EGR light but it doesn't work.

Speedo cable in my car has been replaced, but new cable goes directly from tranny to speedometer. Old cable remains in place.

GN

Check under the passenger foot rest thumb3d.gif
930cabman
My '75 CA car has this connection and a rebate in the foam where the counter would reside.
Type 47
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 5 2022, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 5 2022, 07:29 PM) *

What year is your car?

Again I ask?

It connects to the EGR counter in the pass footwell foam block. It’s in the 75-76 cars, CA models only. If you have a 74 model year it’s not original to your chassis.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear was I. It's a 75', the last one listed in my sig. (upon further review it's in the 4th post from top)

Non-CA car, it never had one.

Thanks guys for your help.
JeffBowlsby
So its a known 49-state 75 2.0L wiht no EGR or CAT, and it has the wiring in place for the CA-model EGR system.

Can you tell me if it also has the wiring for the CAT sensor/relay in the rear trunk by the drivers side rear tailight housing? It may just be a few 1/4" female wire terminals taped to the harness and not used.

Really appreciate your confirmation.

@Type 47
Gatornapper
No can do. Car is 40 min. away at restoration paint shop being repainted in original Malaga Red.

Can't wait.

GN

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 6 2022, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 6 2022, 08:12 AM) *

GN

Check under the passenger foot rest thumb3d.gif

930cabman
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 6 2022, 01:37 PM) *

So its a known 49-state 75 2.0L wiht no EGR or CAT, and it has the wiring in place for the CA-model EGR system.

Can you tell me if it also has the wiring for the CAT sensor/relay in the rear trunk by the drivers side rear tailight housing? It may just be a few 1/4" female wire terminals taped to the harness and not used.

@Type 47

I can probably get to the car shop later, or tomorrow to check the connections in the rear trunk
Type 47
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 6 2022, 10:37 AM) *

@Type 47

Yes confirmed. Original owner purchased car new from a Porsche dealer in St. Louis.

There is similar wiring in the rear trunk on the drivers side.

Note: electrical tape is still on wiring harness from reinstallation, cloth tape has to be wrapped before trunk gets wrapped up.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
That solves a mystery, thank you. I have only ever seen the 75-76 chassis harnesses with the wiring for both the EGR/CAT systems thinking I only been able to acquire the CA-model versions, but yet knew that the cars were equipped differently for CA and 49-state markets, so there was the possibility of two different harnesses.

Your confirmed 49-state market car with that oriignal harness which has both the EGR/CAT branches (just not used) means that there is only one type of 75-76 chassis harness for both markets. They just did not mount the equipment for the 49-state cars that was needed on the CA-model cars.

Thanks.

Anyone who finds a 1975-76 chassis harness without the EGR/CAT connections please let me know.
aturboman
I recently revived a 75 CA car and it had a relay in the left rear trunk with that same connector and also has the front counter box plug.

I suspect in 75 if it was a 49 state car without the counter they just left the system unplugged and relays our of the car?

The rear relay was for a catalyst warning light, it had a wire running through the rear trunk panel to the cat at one point in its life.
JeffBowlsby
That appears to be the case.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 6 2022, 04:32 PM) *

That solves a mystery, thank you. I have only ever seen the 75-76 chassis harnesses with the wiring for both the EGR/CAT systems thinking I only been able to acquire the CA-model versions, but yet knew that the cars were equipped differently for CA and 49-state markets, so there was the possibility of two different harnesses.

Your confirmed 49-state market car with that oriignal harness which has both the EGR/CAT branches (just not used) means that there is only one type of 75-76 chassis harness for both markets. They just did not mount the equipment for the 49-state cars that was needed on the CA-model cars.

Thanks.

Anyone who finds a 1975-76 chassis harness without the EGR/CAT connections please let me know.

@JeffBowlsby

Jeff, my '75 2.0 has the plugs as well but no equipment, the car was ordered and delivered to the Dublin Ohio Porsche Audi dealer per the paperwork included with purchase from the #3 owner . the car spent 20+ years in CA going from Ohio to Indiana and then with a military member to 29 palms CA , then came east to NC/SC area . also removed by the time i got it was all the smog equipment. anyway, looks like probably one harness for all cars, and they installed the equipment for the CA cars only.
JeffBowlsby
thumb3d.gif Thanks DrPhil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.