Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houston
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
somewhere along the way...probably with Bob the media blaster...

missing the anchor (nut??) for the passenger side seat belt.

My passengers are usually looking for some kind of O Jesus handle, hate to tell them their seat belt is anchored by some JB weld.

How do I fix this?
Click to view attachment
windforfun
Isn't that the nut on the right of the pic? Can you get into the long below the heater tube? Is a washer missing?
Type 47
QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 5 2022, 07:53 PM) *

Isn't that the nut on the right of the pic? Can you get into the long below the heater tube? Is a washer missing?

that nut is just a rogue nut put on to keep the belt bolt in place. Ther are specific washers for this bolt. The issue is the receptacle for the bolt that should be welded on the inside is missing.
930cabman
One of the most famous lines from the last century.

RD has this: https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP339C

how firm could it possibly have been attached?
gereed75
Assuming the car is not a concurs queen….Cut a 1.5 x 3” plate of 3/16th plate steel. Drill a hole in center. Weld the nut to the backside. Unibit the hole in the long to allow the just fabricated nut plate to sit flush. Clean off the paint from around the hole. Weld prime and then weld this nut plate into place. Touch up paint. Viola.
914Sixer
You might try putting a steel blind nut in there to correct your problem
Dion
Hopefully it’s not like this on the other side of the nice paint.
Dion
Otherwise you’ll need Resto design for this.
Olympic 914
Had a similar problem, when the longs were repaired the seat belt attachment was forgotten.

I did pretty much what @Gereed75 suggested.

But wanting a lathe project I machined a threaded piece, then welded it behind the plate.

used a hole saw to cut the hole in the long big enough to fit the flange.

Its not coming loose.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

930cabman
Could be someone's life with the integrity of this connection, take your time and get it right
gereed75
Nice Tom. That should do it!
Type 47
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 6 2022, 05:27 AM) *

Assuming the car is not a concurs queen….Cut a 1.5 x 3” plate of 3/16th plate steel. Drill a hole in center. Weld the nut to the backside. Unibit the hole in the long to allow the just fabricated nut plate to sit flush. Clean off the paint from around the hole. Weld prime and then weld this nut plate into place. Touch up paint. Viola.

Trying to make it a nice rust free car...but by no means will it ever be in a concurs.

THANKS EVERYONE. The pictures and links were super helpful.

We got to figure out how to crack it open but after that my son can weld a solid, safe, solution there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2022, 05:29 AM) *

You might try putting a steel blind nut in there to correct your problem

I would not trust that "solution" with my life.
shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we make the weld nut plates we sell them

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 5 2022, 08:49 PM) *

somewhere along the way...probably with Bob the media blaster...

missing the anchor (nut??) for the passenger side seat belt.

My passengers are usually looking for some kind of O Jesus handle, hate to tell them their seat belt is anchored by some JB weld.

How do I fix this?
Click to view attachment

nathanxnathan
Here are a few shots of what's all in that area inside. It's crazy how it could have come off. I remember it being welded in quite a few places to the inner inner long there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.