Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Petepat
This must be a common known fault! When headlights are on and I flick the dip switch I can hear the relay under the dash click but no change to the lights and the fog lights don't come on anymore! All the fuses are in and working. All suggestions gratefully received.
Cairo94507
I would begin by checking all of the grounds-clean and tighten. Then I would pull the fuses, 1 at a time, and clean the connections and make sure the fuses are all good. beerchug.gif
JWest
Are you stuck in high beam? The fog lights turn off when the high beams are on, so you may only have one issue to solve.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember an issue where the latch would break inside the relay so the relay would move (click), but would not flip over to the opposite position.
Petepat
Well I tried both of your suggestions, even changed over the relays but still no go!! I guess its a process of elimination. What next?
TheCabinetmaker
Common headlight switch failure.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
high low relay has failed

QUOTE(Petepat @ Dec 7 2022, 09:36 AM) *

This must be a common known fault! When headlights are on and I flick the dip switch I can hear the relay under the dash click but no change to the lights and the fog lights don't come on anymore! All the fuses are in and working. All suggestions gratefully received.

Petepat
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2022, 11:33 AM) *

high low relay has failed

OK am I missing something here, the high low relay next to the fuse box I've swopped with other working ones ,no change and as to the light switch on the steering coulomb it is activating the relay when I pull it? I'm missing something? please keep the suggestions coming.
JWest
The hi/low relay is unique - it is the cube metal relay with wires attached separately, not the round plug-in relays. There is not another one like it in the car to swap with.

If you get a new (VW) replacement you have to do the jumper mod (posted many times).
Petepat
QUOTE(Petepat @ Dec 7 2022, 11:36 AM) *

Thank you JWest that is so helpful, I'm going to order a new one now and thanks everybody for the input, after cleaning up the fuses for a second time the fog lights now work. Cheers.
Petepat
QUOTE(Petepat @ Dec 9 2022, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Petepat @ Dec 7 2022, 11:36 AM) *

Thank you JWest that is so helpful, I'm going to order a new one now and thanks everybody for the input, after cleaning up the fuses for a second time the fog lights now work. Cheers.

Got the new relay and still not working but in a previous message someone mentions the need for a jumper but I can't find it in the search can anyone enlighten me? Cheers
76-914
icon_bump.gif What a timely post for me. I noticed that mine were stuck on high returning from Carson Saturday and this is on my "to-do" list today. I have the JWest panel so I can skip the fuse check. popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.