Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LMP2 RS Spyder video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
dunno if this was already posted, but here goes

video and more info on the LMP2 proto here...
http://www12.porsche.com/all/motorsport/lm....asp?market=int
seanery
clap.gif woooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo clap.gif
Midtowner
Okay, I'm not that smart but why is there two positions for the driver? huh.gif
Jeroen
just one position for the driver
the other is a "passenger seat"
ArtechnikA
maybe a passenger that doesn't mind having his head sucked into the V-10...

i haven't followed the LMP-2 sportscar regs lately, so i donno if a "passenger seat" is one of those silly FIA requirements, like having the "FIA Suitcase" was in the 60's...\\but i'd guess the "dual rollover hoop" is intended as an immediate visual identification element, evoking the looks of the 917 CanAm cars.

but WTFDIK. nobody from Weissach has called asking for -my- opinions lately :-)
jgara962
That car looks sweeeeet!

I see a lot of this in the future smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 9 2005, 10:27 AM)
i haven't followed the LMP-2 sportscar regs lately, so i donno if a "passenger seat" is one of those silly FIA requirements, like having the "FIA Suitcase" was in the 60's

Basically, all the new LMP cars have the 2 roll-hoops and look kindda funky. The last of the 'hybrid' cars were this year, all of them next year have to follow the new rules.

Sounds like that thing is running a flat-crank. Sounds like 2 angry 4-bangers running in tandem, cool! We'll see what it can do at Petit LeMans soon biggrin.gif
maf914
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Aug 9 2005, 11:50 AM)
We'll see what it can do at Petit LeMans soon biggrin.gif

If Penske and his boys don't win on their debut, it will be an embarrassment. The current field of LMP2 cars in the ALMS is only three, and race wins this year have been by default, i.e. basically the last guy running. I know its not easy or cheap and that these guys are trying, but the current LMP2 teams just don't have the resources. What will be interesting is how the Porsche does against the Champion Audi and Dyson Lola teams. Those guys are good. biggrin.gif

That said, I do hope the Porsche is successful and that some of the GT2 teams move up in the future. A dependable customer car is not a bad thing. idea.gif
maf914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 9 2005, 10:27 AM)
maybe a passenger that doesn't mind having his head sucked into the V-10...

I think it's a normally aspirated 3.4 liter V-8, per LMP2 rules. I have wondered where the design for this racing engine came from.

The Carrera GT V-10 supposedly was developed from the never raced n.a. V-10 LMP1 prototype Porsche built back in 1999 or 2000.
seanery
I read in this month's Pano that this car is entirely fresh...including the engine.
Dr. Roger
Hey!!!

They are copying Muellers idea of the Air intake manifold with single cylinder throttle valves!

Cool. biggrin.gif
Allan
I wonder what it would take to make it street legal?
Maltese Falcon
...makes one wonder what the bhp would go up to, if the restrictor was yanked out ohmy.gif
MF
Scott Carlberg
3.4-liter V8 making 450hp

I wonder if Porsche would/could put a variation of that engine in the 911???
maf914
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Aug 9 2005, 03:43 PM)
...makes one wonder what the bhp would go up to, if the restrictor was yanked out ohmy.gif
MF

The restrictors are tough to beat. I think I've read that the Corvette C6R GT1 engine which is 7.0 liters puts out about 600 hp with its restrictors. I think a NASCAR 6.0 liter is good for about 900 without a plate.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.