Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing 914-4 motor mount consoles ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bossboy302
CRS!
Thought I'd read somewhere about removing the 4-cylinder mounting ears on the body when doing a 6-cyl. conversion. Can't find anything...

Possibly part of the same dream as the one when Im actually driving it...
mb911
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Dec 12 2022, 08:10 AM) *

CRS!
Thought I'd read somewhere about removing the 4-cylinder mounting ears on the body when doing a 6-cyl. conversion. Can't find anything...

Possibly part of the same dream as the one when Im actually driving it...

I suggest removing them to allow for additional space. Some leave them in. I am not sure there really is a thread on it though
mepstein
I left mine in only because I was too lazy to remove them. It won’t hurt to leave them but it’s a nicer job if you take them out. It’s a messy job but there’s often rust behind the mounts so it’s worth doing.

Actually I did have the mounts removed on a chassis that I’m converting. There was a big rust spot behind the passenger mount.
914werke
Not much to add here other than if you do choose to remove, keep in mind the R. side mount can be valuable to folks doing rust-oration.
This is a part not yet being reproduced & is often compromised.
brant
I also do not recall a thread about this... I'm sure there are some pictures in a build thread but may not be specifics....

its like all of the other body work threads...
spot weld drill bit(s) ... lots of time... and a bit of clean up when your done.
brant
mepstein
Here’s my other car
Steve
I removed mine on my six conversion and like Mepstein, mine had rust behind the mount on the passenger side. I cleaned it up, but the area was weekend and eventually cracked and we had to add a scab plate. This does give you more room to adjust the valves on the six, but with the high cost of six motors, it will also not allow you to go to a lower cost motor in the future like Subi or LS.
bossboy302
Thank you all for the replies! Very helpful, esp. the photos. Thanks again, Brian
Krieger
You can just cut them off and leave the plates the are spot welded to the body. It's not that big of a job and gives you the room. I did it a long time ago.
Krieger
Click to view attachment
RKramden
I am going to flip the top receiver to the bottom with the radius side down which fits nicely on my jack stands
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.