Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repairing the AC hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deusexmachina77
Hello,

Does someone have a photo of a finished repair to the AC hole?
I'm taking a welding class, and this will be my first project.
1. Should I try a butt weld or do an overlap?
2. I'm not going for a Concours job. Someone else would be doing it if I were, but I would like it to look decent and not look like a hack job.
3. Where should I try to blend this in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I figure if I mess it up I can then hire someone to bail me out.

Many thanks for considering my request.

Victor
Click to view attachment
930cabman
My vote would be 100% butt weld. take you time fitting the new panel with a very small gap and TIG her together, taking time to avoid distortion.
Superhawk996
agree.gif
Butt weld.

Lap joints on body work are a sign of a low quality repair. Lap welds create future corrosion when moisture gets trapped between the layers of the lap.

Where to trim is highly dependent on how your original sheet metal is below the panel. Generally try to trim to keep as much OEM metal and just fill the hole that AC damage created.

I’d suggest something in the area roughly smaller than the red lines if your OEM metal is still there and solid.

Click to view attachment
friethmiller
agree.gif

Make sure the existing metal is good and trim the repair panel down (not the other way around). Use these type of clamps (or the like) to ensure the proper gap for weld penetration and to keep the panels even.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Have you removed the red cover yet? The hole is smaller than you think. It’s myriad of other holes, AC lines, that are time consuming. Is your engine tin and shelve still cut for the compressor?
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 16 2022, 08:20 PM) *

My vote would be 100% butt weld. take you time fitting the new panel with a very small gap and TIG her together, taking time to avoid distortion.

welder.gif Thank you!
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 16 2022, 09:01 PM) *

Have you removed the red cover yet? The hole is smaller than you think. It’s myriad of other holes, AC lines, that are time consuming. Is your engine tin and shelve still cut for the compressor?

@rhodyguy , I haven't removed it yet. The hack job on the long is going to be the hardest I think. The engine tin is gone but getting replaced with the rebuild I'm having done.
I don't know about the shelf. Thank you.
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 16 2022, 08:50 PM) *

agree.gif

Make sure the existing metal is good and trim the repair panel down (not the other way around). Use these type of clamps (or the like) to ensure the proper gap for weld penetration and to keep the panels even.

Click to view attachment

@friethmiller , Thanks for the tip. welder.gif
Deusexmachina77
@Superhawk996 , Thank you! welder.gif
914GT
Here are a few shots from a restore project 10 years ago, if it's of any help. There were a lot of other holes in the wheelwell and long that had to be welded in, but the trunk was the most work.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=860
159]
Montreal914
I am currently restoring my 914 and she is where I am learning how to weld (every weld along the way) rolleyes.gif. My MIG is a basic 110V Lincoln with gas and 0.025" wire. I have read a lot about everything I could find here smilie_pokal.gif and watched a lot of YouTube videos on welding.

I have butt welded almost every part I have replaced on my car and take my sweet time making sure the new part is almost perfect to the opening. I did try the clamps shown above but I find they leave quite a gap between the two pieces which can create holes if you weld like me... rolleyes.gif . I am sure a good welder can go at it all day without any issues though. I prefer having the two parts touching or practically. I use magnets or any method to make sure the panels are in the same plane, then tack.

From what I have experienced, the more time you spend on preparing a panel that fits perfectly, the easier it will be to weld it in.

Good luck! It is a wonderful feeling to install a new panel in! smash.gif welder.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 17 2022, 12:40 PM) *

I am currently restoring my 914 and she is where I am learning how to weld (every weld along the way) rolleyes.gif. My MIG is a basic 110V Lincoln with gas and 0.025" wire. I have read a lot about everything I could find here smilie_pokal.gif and watched a lot of YouTube videos on welding.

I have butt welded almost every part I have replaced on my car and take my sweet time making sure the new part is almost perfect to the opening. I did try the clamps shown above but I find they leave quite a gap between the two pieces which can create holes if you weld like me... rolleyes.gif . I am sure a good welder can go at it all day without any issues though. I prefer having the two parts touching or practically. I use magnets or any method to make sure the panels are in the same plane, then tack.

From what I have experienced, the more time you spend on preparing a panel that fits perfectly, the easier it will be to weld it in.

Good luck! It is a wonderful feeling to install a new panel in! smash.gif welder.gif

Exactly, taking your time will pay off in the finish product, AND do not overheat the panel. Short tack welds are the order of the day. Experience is the best teacher for much of this restoration business.
porschetub
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 18 2022, 05:40 AM) *

agree.gif those clamps didn't work for me also,the 1mm gap is to much and I normality attempt to a very close fit or I make another patch.
I'am currently dealing in this area with a horrible PO patchup which is nasty ,thinking I should chop it out but not going there...for the time being confused24.gif .
One pic of this hack job but will post more soon.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 18 2022, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 18 2022, 05:40 AM) *

agree.gif those clamps didn't work for me also,the 1mm gap is to much and I normality attempt to a very close fit or I make another patch.
I'am currently dealing in this area with a horrible PO patchup which is nasty ,thinking I should chop it out but not going there...for the time being confused24.gif .
One pic of this hack job but will post more soon.
Click to view attachment

More nasty work,body plate cover had a section chopped out it for no reason that I can see confused24.gif ,cut a section and welded that on,you can see from the second pic how bad the welding is,currently trying to remove the black silicone sealer which stuck very well headbang.gif headbang.gif .
Surface rust under some of the laps....how hard it is it to put some primer on the area's before sealer is applied slap.gif .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I noticed the replacement RD panel has no holes cut for the body cover plate covers which IMO is a good thing ,however if a show car perhaps that's not right,also noticed 914gt didn't add the tow bracket underneath ?.
Root_Werks
Others have said it, butt weld everything.

I cleaned up the trunk hole keeping it as small as possible. Cut out from the new trunk floor piece and butt welded in.

Root_Werks
Did the same for every AC line hole as well. These took the longest to trim/fit, weld, grind smooth.

When done, can't even tell there was a hole.

welder.gif

Deusexmachina77
@Root_Werks , @Montreal914 , @porschetub , @930cabman , @914GT
Thank you for your opinions, guidance, encouragement, and especially the photos. Appreciate all the help. red914.jpg
930cabman
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Dec 19 2022, 10:50 PM) *

Thank you for your opinions, guidance, encouragement, and especially the photos. Appreciate all the help. red914.jpg

Glad to be of assistance
mgarrison
Here's my effort:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2883421

I'm using a cheap HF flux core welder with no gas. If I can pull it off reasonably successfully, I'm guessing most anybody can! I also used the butt-weld clamps to get it tacked in place.
porschetub
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Dec 20 2022, 03:50 PM) *

No thanks required as I was helping folks not to do it the WRONG way like the PO did mine.
Car was original going to have a 3.0 in it but I purchased the restored roller with g/box,oil tank etc as he give up on the project to restore a rusty 911.
Rand
You've had great input from great people.

Be careful on the dirty welds and seams... Good for you now, not good for anyone later.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.