Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Sound Mat Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
StarBear
OK; as I'm continuing to comb through various tidbit parts, I've come across this mystery (to me). Asking for any insights, experience, or wisdom.

The engine sound-deadening mat has several plastic attachment plugs, part # 914 559 377 10; on PET Section 8, Diagram 807-10, #14. It has a barbed plug end and the PET (and other sources) show 4 are required. See photo.

Yet, mine (largely unmolested) has only 3. See photo.

There are two other holes along the left wall and right wall (hidden by the battery), the backsides of what I presume are the seat belt retractors, but these are wide and are filled in by the bolt end - nowhere for a barbed tip to attached. BTW, I've been using more of a mushroom cap to cover them. See 3 photos.

Question 1: If four are used, where the heck does the fourth one go??
Question 2: Might four have been used in early (70-71?) models and PET, etc not updated?
I'm so very confused.

Plastic Plug:
Click to view attachment

Three plugs holding mat:
Click to view attachment

Larger holes from seat belt (?) bolts:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mushroom cap I use:
Click to view attachment
StarBear
@wonkipop
@dcheek
@jeffbowlsby
@Van B
@clayperrine
@L-Jet914
@BigLen
confused24.gif
wonkipop
only 3 in mine.
unless one is hidden somewhere i can't see. and i've looked and i don't see a 4th.
one each side and one in middle.
dunno about early cars. don't think they changed the sound mat?

wouldn't be the first time the PET is wrong on quantities.
refer lack of accurate info on late rain tray fixings. smile.gif
i've found other stuff too that is typos.

nothing goes in holes for seat belt fixings. beerchug.gif

StarBear
Thank, mate! Guess I have a spare one now.
JeffBowlsby
Where did you get 'em? I need a few.
TonyA
QUOTE(StarBear @ Dec 18 2022, 12:55 PM) *

OK; as I'm continuing to comb through various tidbit parts, I've come across this mystery (to me). Asking for any insights, experience, or wisdom.

The engine sound-deadening mat has several plastic attachment plugs, part # 914 559 377 10; on PET Section 8, Diagram 807-10, #14. It has a barbed plug end and the PET (and other sources) show 4 are required. See photo.

There are two other holes along the left wall and right wall (hidden by the battery), the backsides of what I presume are the seat belt retractors, but these are wide and are filled in by the bolt end - nowhere for a barbed tip to attached. BTW, I've been using more of a mushroom cap to cover them. See 3 photos.

Question 2: Might four have been used in early (70-71?) models and PET, etc not updated?
I'm so very confused.

Plastic Plug:
Click to view attachment

Three plugs holding mat:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mushroom cap I use:
Click to view attachment

I think the fourth one goes in the center towards the top where the pad splts. See the attached picture ( notice the pads matches my shoes smile.gif
Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 22 2022, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Dec 18 2022, 12:55 PM) *

I'm so very confused.

Plastic Plug:
Click to view attachment

Three plugs holding mat:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mushroom cap I use:
Click to view attachment

I think the fourth one goes in the center towards the top where the pad splts. See the attached picture ( notice the pads matches my shoes smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Ahhhhh…. Will check there.
wonkipop
@TonyA

you are dead right. just stuck my head right up in there and sure enough there was #4 on mine but broken off. its hidden by the engine lid hanging down when you open the lid.

thanks for pointing that out. never would have spotted it unless i was hanging upside in the engine bay. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

@StarBear , if you figure out where to get these plugs let me know.
i'll order myself up one to replace my broken one.
StarBear
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 22 2022, 02:08 PM) *

Where did you get 'em? I need a few.

@jeffbowlsby I got the extra one via the kind generosity of @914sixer .
For new ones, both AA and 914Rubber have them. I think that AA ones look more accurate. They are sold individually (per above, now looks like 4 per car, as indicated in PET or chart listings).
@TonyA
L-Jet914
I was just in my garage after I saw the mention. I found the 4th one as well as you mentioned. Mine is there but the head of the push clip is broken off mostly and I am missing the one underneath it. I will have to get new ones haha. Both of your silencer pads are in much better condition haha. Mine is definitely releasing from the rear firewall (adhesive letting go). It looks like they used horse hair or something with the rubber padding.
bbrock
You can pick up the plugs at NAPA (P/N 665-3116). Pretty sure those are the exact items AA sells as George is the one who posted the NAPA P/N a few years ago.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2022, 12:02 PM) *

You can pick up the plugs at NAPA (P/N 665-3116). Pretty sure those are the exact items AA sells as George is the one who posted the NAPA P/N a few years ago.

thanks for the tip.
is this it.
part no. is 665-3166, slightly different.

Click to view attachment

looks like NAPA has established itself in australia.
i think i can get these down here.

bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 27 2022, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2022, 12:02 PM) *

thanks for the tip.
is this it.
part no. is 665-3166, slightly different.

Click to view attachment

looks like NAPA has established itself in australia.
i think i can get these down here.

I'm sure that has to be it. The dash in the # I posted was copied from what George posted in the other thread. I found mine hanging on a rack with the other various panel fasteners in the store. Didn't even have to bug the guy at the parts counter.
StarBear
Here it is - hidden in not plain sight all along. Who’da guessed?
Helpful thread none the less. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.