Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the way to clean the aluminum impeller housing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
Not sure if "you guys" is proper English or not, maybe I should have said you'uns or youall: y'alls.

Anyway, I put some vinegar on it and it kinda looked at me, with that "what are you stupid" look, so then I used some muratic acid, like they use in pools. It started smoking and making bad smells . I got the "what are you really stupid" look as I coughed off outside, and I thought maybe I should go inside and ask the folks with the nice looking engine bays what to do.
iankarr
There’s magnesium in the housing. It will react to hydrochloric acid by turning the metal into hydrogen gas. No bueno.

I like to have the housings soda blasted. Then you can decide whether to coat it. There’s a rattle can paint called “alumi-blast” which I think looks good. But you have to make sure everything is super clean.

Good luck and, as they said at Woodstock, stay away from the acid, man…
914sgofast2
Read the "1.8 cheap junk rebuild" thread over on the Type4Forum or the 411/412 forum on the Samba.com for cleaning do's and don'ts.
PatMc
Glass bead blast and a good coat of 2K clearcoat makes aluminum look good and stay looking good.

Keep acids / caustic cleaners away from aluminum and magnesium
Type 47
Thanks guys. super helpful
maf914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 18 2022, 08:07 PM) *

I like to have the housings soda blasted. Then you can decide whether to coat it. There’s a rattle can paint called “alumi-blast” which I think looks good. But you have to make sure everything is super clean.

Aluma Blast is an Eastwood paint product.

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=aluma%20blast
Type 47
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 19 2022, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 18 2022, 08:07 PM) *

Aluma Blast is an Eastwood paint product.

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=aluma%20blast

this looks like a good idea, since i've tainted it in spots with the pool acid.
bkrantz
I had mine media-blasted, and then I painted the sections with a matte epoxy clear coat. It darkened the color just a bit.
914werke
Im working one one right now....
After media blasting it showed all sorts of voids, holes sort of like it had been rotting?
Ive done a few of them & this is a first for me.
Looks like Ill need to fill it with allmetal & sand to get it back to acceptable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.