Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another progress thread from TG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
tdgray
So I figure I better start contributing with some real content rather than stupid jokes and snide remarks. So here goes.

I purchased my 1973 1.7L for $300.00. Damn good thing to because there was about 8 thousand times the rust that I could see dry.gif (duh!)

Before I tore the car apart I got the engine running. PO said fuel pump was bad. Turned out the relay was bad and in his attempts to fix the problem he reversed the fuel lines. Put a new relay fired right up...ran like crap but still it ran. biggrin.gif

After stripping all interior, electrical and accesories from the car the real work started. Nothing more than expected just a long list.

Some of the problem area identified.

1) Rust in longs
2) Rear trunk and valance panel totally rusted out
3) Floorboards very rusted out - quite a few holes
4) Sill plates and door jams very questionable
5) Typical battery tray and engine shelf damage
6) Front trunk rusted around AC unit
7) Sail panels - bad PO repair with Bondo

Just one note for the rest of this, I am not CptTripps... these pic's are over a years time span. The reason I am finally posting all this is to motivate me to get 'er done.

It may not be realistic but I am still shooting for the FFC this year. I really have to get moving NOW!
tdgray
First task at hand was to cut the trunk and valance panel out. Lid was scrap. Got a few used pieces for replacement.
tdgray
All buttoned up... still needs finishing and rear trunk pan.
CptTripps
Man...you really have your work cut out for you...(No pun intended)

We'll motivate you...just you wait.
tdgray
Next Task...

Drop the engine. Easy job took my brother and I about three hours.
tdgray
Damn that engine looks big when it is not in the car
tdgray
Hell Hole after engine removal ohmy.gif
tdgray
Big Problem when removing the engine... had to cut the engine bar. YIKES huh.gif
tdgray
Next Task.

Longs are solid but have some major patches of rust. Cut it out and patch new metal in. Oh the carnage
tdgray
Thanks to Dr. Evil for the clam shells... Just what the Dr ordered. biggrin.gif

A little test fitting
tdgray
My buddy Dave (acting like a dork). Leveling the car before welding the clams on.
tdgray
Finished Welding... still a little clean up to do but that will come soon.
tdgray
Other side... rust was not as bad. Less patching to do Clam ON
tdgray
Stripped Down. Doors and targa off now that I trust the frame rigidity. Ready for sills and door jambs.
tdgray
Door jamb carnage. Also firewall damage along with inner fender damage.
tdgray
Cut the door jamb out. Normally you would pull the fender. I decided not to mess with aligning the fender etc. My plan was to grind out the old and smooth in the new.
tdgray
Firewall and inner fender repairs... no making fun of my welds please dry.gif
tdgray
New door jambs. I test fit these suckers about a million times. Normally they fit in behind the fender. I fit the flush with the fender. No problems with door clearance.
tdgray
Next new door sills. Pretty easy installation.
tdgray
Test fitting donor lower fender. Original was absolute shit
tdgray
New fender welded in... major finishing to do. wink.gif
tdgray
My car needs a special ed class... it stutters PPPorsche.

Checking the final alignment
tdgray
Oh BTW....

Doug when I was putting these pic together last night I saw the parts pics and remembered I forgot to send you something.

You should have mail in the next day or two... Thanks BUD!
tdgray
Just some rattle can primer to protect the bare spots.

Also first coats of All Metal filler going on.
tdgray
For those of you that do not know what All Metal is... well here it is.

It is a alluminum based filler. Totally waterproof, does not shrink, sands smooth and cures fast.
tdgray
That's it for now. More pics at home on the Camera will post them tonight.
Allan
Great pics.

I've used the All Metal stuff on my car and love it. POR-15 sticks to it like glue.
TravisNeff
Great job!!
CptTripps
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 10 2005, 11:18 AM)
Doug when I was putting these pic together last night I saw the parts pics and remembered I forgot to send you something...

LOL...I saw that pic and had the EXACT same thought. biggrin.gif No worries man. I know you are good for it.

Looking great...seriously. Let me know if you need me to come down and help with anything.
tdgray
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Aug 10 2005, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 10 2005, 11:18 AM)
Doug when I was putting these pic together last night I saw the parts pics and remembered I forgot to send you something...

LOL...I saw that pic and had the EXACT same thought. biggrin.gif No worries man. I know you are good for it.

Looking great...seriously. Let me know if you need me to come down and help with anything.

Wheels look pretty good huh? smile.gif

I think I am going to finish them like the bullit mustang wheels. That kinda dark grey... should go great with the white.

Thanks for the offer of help. I will call you when I get some of these major welding jobs done. We can probably make some good progress on the small stuff in a day.
CptTripps
Just call. I can even drive MY 914 there so your wife can see what they are supposed to look like!

Angie is on call Q5 right now, so I get 1-2 nights a week that I can come help.
914werke
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 10 2005, 08:10 AM)
New door jambs. I test fit these suckers about a million times. Normally they fit in behind the fender. I fit the flush with the fender. No problems with door clearance.

Good pics, where did you get the replacement door jam?
tdgray
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Aug 10 2005, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 10 2005, 08:10 AM)

Good pics, where did you get the replacement door jam?

Restoration Design.... Bill is a very nice guy but don't be in a hurry for your parts and be prepared to bug him to remember your order.

EDIT - Scratch that - the Clams Shells were made by RD..... the Door Jambs came from Tweeks. VERY GOOD service from Tweeks.
JerryP
Nice work Todd! smilie_pokal.gif That is a big project. I started working on some longs in similar condition to yours when you started. Did you end up cutting out the whole clamshell and replacing it or did those fit over top of the original?
tdgray
Jerry,

These are designed to fit over top of the existing longs.

I cut out the bad sections of the now "inner" longs metal. Replaced it with sheet metal and then fitted the clams over it.

Was kinda nice, didn't have to make the "inner" repairs look nice... just strong.
JerryP
Thanks for posting the pictures Todd. I have most of the bad parts cut out so I guess I'll be looking for a set of those.
Lou W
Great progress, keep the pictures coming. smile.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (JerryP @ Aug 11 2005, 12:13 PM)
Thanks for posting the pictures Todd. I have most of the bad parts cut out so I guess I'll be looking for a set of those.

Jerry,

See my edit above.

The Clams Shells - or Frame Stiffening Kits as they call them, are made by Restoration Design.

The Door Jambs are made by Tweeks.

Do a google search on both, they have web sites for ordering.
tdgray
One small victory this week. rolleyes.gif

No more side markers... personally I feel the stupidist thing on the 914. Absolutely ruins the lines... so gone!

I finally took a couple of vacation days this coming Monday and Tuesday. I have not been able to get away from work this year. One freakin vaction day since April 2004 DOES NOT CUT IT. I said finger.gif it. Twelve hour days for over a year striaght are not condusive to a 914 restoration.

Hopefully I can get some serious work done this long weekend
tdgray
My helper...

She is my tool wench, if I drop a wrench she is on it like stink on stromberg.gif

Also, my best friend. Hard to see in pictures, first all black Cocker I've had, don't photograph well dry.gif
redshift
I like the cooking show nature of your trunk repair pics.. you know, pulling the finished one out of the oven.. wink.gif

Insane work man! Looks great!

M
tdgray
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 12 2005, 07:04 PM)
I like the cooking show nature of your trunk repair pics.. you know, pulling the finished one out of the oven.. wink.gif

Insane work man! Looks great!

M

Yea,

I haven't quite got the hang of a "progress thread".

I tend to go... I'll take a picture of the damage.

Then I work like HELL trying to get it done. Afterwards while drinking a beer3.gif I usually go " SHIT I forgot to take pic's... oh well here it is finished.

What can I say... I'm an idiot wacko.gif
CptTripps
My simple fix for this was that I have a digital camera thats not allowed to leave the garage. I keep the charger out there, and put it on top of the car/bench so I'm sure to see it, and take pics.

Great work man...
brp914
I'm jealous. You guys get all the rust!
Engman
Nice job!

To all those in the far off land of no rust - this is what we deal with in the midwest and east coast. This is a real nice job of saving what would be a 'parts car' in the land of no rust.

Now 'git r' done' and come to the FFC05! You must make it!

So far (and i will not disclose anything yet) there is well over $1000 in just give aways.

M
tdgray
Well... my two days off came and went.

I spent half the first day fielding phone calls from work and spending time with the family. Cooked a mean breakfast of chorizo sausage omlets though chowtime.gif

Actually, went very well. Doesn't look like I got a whole of progress but believe me this was the hardest part yet. Crawling in and out of the engine bay with various and many tools is a total PITA mad.gif

This next project was engine bay prep time. Not for the faint of heart. unsure.gif
tdgray
Typical battery tray rust.

I had already cut ( in a previous work session) most of what remained of the engine shelf out.

This is the "other half" of the rust I encountered when replacing the door jambs and sill plates.

Time to make with my crappy welding skills dry.gif
tdgray
Other nastyness from this side.

Amazingly the other side (drivers side) is solid as a rock.
tdgray
Fabricated and started welding in patch... and no obviously my welding skills have not got any better since the last posting.

I treated the area with Ospho (you can see the black sections starting to form. This will take a few coats. Ospho is a rust converter and a primer. I treated the rest of the engine bay with it later (don't really like to apply this stuff and weld around it).
tdgray
Sorry for the somewhat " Andy" quality pics.

My arthritis was giving me some serious fits this day. I know, I know... I am not that old... just a bad break from the inheritance fairy. Early onset. sucks mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.