Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HP limit on standard 4 lug hub?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
Converting 4 lug to 5 lug hubs. Eric Shea’s PMB website says redrilled conversion hubs good to 150 HP.
What about 325 HP ?
Water cooled conversion is a never ending wicked game.
sixnotfour
Carry Spare Parts
Superhawk996
agree.gif

The question is not one of how much horsepower but one of how much torque does the engine produce.

Without AWD you will not be able to ground all the available torque the typical 300 HP engine can produce. You will spin tires before you shear the lugs or studs. Tire tractive force is your first “fuse”. Spinning tires keep other things from breaking. So you may say, let’s just use stickier tires like race rubber and a LSD to help reduce wheel spin (it will still occur).

Wheel hubs still won’t be the limiting factor.

CV joints will be a limitation before hubs. Axles / transmission / transmission output flanges will typically break before the hubs.

After you “upgrade” those weak links, eventually, the rear rear suspension consoles will begin to fatigue and will tear off the chassis.

See where this is going? Each “upgrade” just replaces one “fuse” with another. Each subsequent failure just keeps getting more expensive to fix.

Have fun!
mepstein
High hp conversions use 911 hubs and stubs to fit the cv’s that can take more torque. There are some 914 style cv’s that can hold more than stock. I believe renegade hybrid sells them.
Freezin 914
I could be wrong, but I think I have read 944 stuff can work as well for higher hp set ups.
mb911
Well I popped a cv this summer that was brand new in a few thousand miles on it with my 2.4 s spec -6 engine
pgollender
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 15 2023, 06:17 AM) *

Well I popped a cv this summer that was brand new in a few thousand miles on it with my 2.4 s spec -6 engine

Does the cv joint fail on the stub axle side or transmission side?
pgollender
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 15 2023, 05:23 AM) *

High hp conversions use 911 hubs and stubs to fit the cv’s that can take more torque. There are some 914 style cv’s that can hold more than stock. I believe renegade hybrid sells them.

Do you have to run a different trailing arm bearing when using the 911 or 944 stub axles?
And does it shift your wheel offset in or out?
pgollender
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 15 2023, 04:49 AM) *

agree.gif

The question is not one of how much horsepower but one of how much torque does the engine produce.

Without AWD you will not be able to ground all the available torque the typical 300 HP engine can produce. You will spin tires before you shear the lugs or studs. Tire tractive force is your first “fuse”. Spinning tires keep other things from breaking. So you may say, let’s just use stickier tires like race rubber and a LSD to help reduce wheel spin (it will still occur).

Wheel hubs still won’t be the limiting factor.

CV joints will be a limitation before hubs. Axles / transmission / transmission output flanges will typically break before the hubs.

After you “upgrade” those weak links, eventually, the rear rear suspension consoles will begin to fatigue and will tear off the chassis.

See where this is going? Each “upgrade” just replaces one “fuse” with another. Each subsequent failure just keeps getting more expensive to fix.

Have fun!

Is there a rear console modification to help reinforce against the extra torque stresses?
Montreal914
This is a good read. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
pgollender
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 15 2023, 09:47 AM) *

Thanks that definitely helps!
mb911
QUOTE(pgollender @ Jan 15 2023, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 15 2023, 06:17 AM) *

Does the cv joint fail on the stub axle side or transmission side?

Trans side for me
r_towle
Drag beetles with 4 lugs do wheelies.
the weak spot is not the number of lug bolts.

rich
Superhawk996
agree.gif

Great real world example
Craigers17
If 4 don't hold it, 5 never woulda.
bkrantz
So, up the hp and torque but leave the tires skinny?

Or always (ALWAYS) drive like your grandma (assuming gran was not a rally driver).
pgollender
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 15 2023, 06:50 PM) *

So, up the hp and torque but leave the tires skinny?

Or always (ALWAYS) drive like your grandma (assuming gran was not a rally driver).

Nah... what's the point of leaving all that power and torque in the engine bay?
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.