Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deusexmachina77
I'm replacing a wooden knob with an original. The problem is I powder-coated the stick shift. Now it's a bit thick. I'll need to sand it down so the knob will go on.

Does the OEM knob just fit with friction? Or is it glued in place? Maybe I screwed this one up? confused24.gif

Thanks, Victor
TheCabinetmaker
It's held on with a "crush washer".
DRPHIL914
agree.gif

except mine i had been glued by a DAPO, so you never know, but it should loosen and pull off with a bit of work, i just put a new one on recently as well.

Phil
Cairo94507
Yeah, they can be problematic even when installed with a new crush washer. Those are available from 914 Rubber, Porsche and a host of others. Check the depth on the shifter and mark it with tape or something similar so once you do put the crush washer onto the shaft and then push the knob on you will know how far down it needs to go to be fully seated. Good luck- I do like the stock knob on our cars. beerchug.gif
Deusexmachina77
I think the crush washer is still inside. Does it look like a metal accordion wrapper/sleeve?
BillJ
Yep sure does. Pull it out and install with a new one.
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 20 2023, 09:23 AM) *

Yep sure does. Pull it out and install with a new one.

Got it! I see the image on 914 Rubber.
Thank you!
emerygt350
If you can't get it off, just go racing. It will pop right off at the most inopportune moment.
914e
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 20 2023, 10:45 AM) *

If you can't get it off, just go racing. It will pop right off at the most inopportune moment.

lol-2.gif
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 20 2023, 11:45 AM) *

driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 20 2023, 09:45 AM) *

@jat914

bkrantz
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 20 2023, 07:27 AM) *

agree.gif

except mine i had been glued by a DAPO, so you never know, but it should loosen and pull off with a bit of work, i just put a new one on recently as well.

Phil

Mine, too. Fortunately the knob was a weird aftermarket, and I got it off with a bit of excess force.
dirk2056
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 20 2023, 12:45 PM) *

agree.gif I put in a set screw to keep it tight, nice little spot for your finger to get a grip.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 20 2023, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 20 2023, 09:45 AM) *

@jat914

I met John many years ago when I would host the monthly 914 breakfast at the I Hop in Orland Park. John had the cleanest racecar I had ever seen. Told us that story and brought a photo album with aftermath pictures. YIKES! wacko.gif

The repair of that car was outstanding!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.