Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 New Owner Intro. First 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MSGGrunt
Sticker on spare motor is the same minus the California verbiage.

Click to view attachment
MSGGrunt
And these are the EGR parts that were included, but clearly removed at one point. Not sure they need to go back on or should they? I will at least keep them if I ever do want to return the motor back to 100% original.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(MSGGrunt @ Feb 3 2023, 05:30 PM) *

And these are the EGR parts that were included, but clearly removed at one point. Not sure they need to go back on or should they? I will at least keep them if I ever do want to return the motor back to 100% original.

Click to view attachment

the evap system with the charcoal can is worth reinstalling.
no performance deficit.
keeps those hydrocarbon molecules where they belong. biggrin.gif
if you need any advice on how to hook up the hoses just ask around here.

you wouldn't put the EGR back on. (unless you are an originality geek with a highly original car biggrin.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif )
it involves the original exhaust system that went on the 75s.
its a sort of twin muffler/cat contortion job with a little fitting that connects the EGR on one of the pipes between mufflers. i think.
i own a 74 so not up on 75s in great detail.
but probably EGR was removed because muffler was replaced. and maybe heat exchangers too.
i've got a feeling original 75 exhaust systems became NLA.
i have read somewhere there might be repro systems more recently but that could be for the 2.0L rather than the 1.8.

be interesting to see what heat exchangers and muffler set up is on the car.
probably backdated to 74. which would be a good thing IMHO.

as to the way the throttle body has been connected to the advance can on the distributor thats also a good thing. you probably know how those dual vac cans work so doesn't need much explanation.
wonkipop
QUOTE(MSGGrunt @ Feb 3 2023, 05:28 PM) *

Sticker on spare motor is the same minus the California verbiage.

Click to view attachment

which says thats a 49 state motor and it probably originally came out of a 1.8 that was factory delivered with a console with the temp gauge.
when you eventually get to look at the underside i'll bet its got the little round lid plate with the protruding temp sensor. thats a good find because it will let you install a temp gauge to whichever engine you wish. might need a new sensor but at least you get the plate.

the guys around this website call it a taco plate. very american.
i am an aussie down in north antartica - i just call it a lid. biggrin.gif
MSGGrunt
All good info. I kind of do like the center console, so having the taco off the donor motor may come in handy. I will snap a picture of the exhaust tomorrow when I have some light.
MSGGrunt
Further evidence. Dash has EGR and CAT warning lights.

Click to view attachment
MSGGrunt
Pictures of the exhaust. The muffler does not have the Cat, so I assume aftermarket? I assume the shrouds around the pipes are the heat exchangers?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rhodyguy
The plastic charcoal canisters are easy to refresh the charcoal. The metal ones? Not so much. Buy replacement charcoal in the pelletized form on line.
wonkipop
@MSGGrunt

you still have stock 1975 heat exchangers.
they have a single pipe outlet into the muffler each side.

muffler is not a 75 muffler.
its an aftermarket muffler in the style of the factory pre 75 that looks pretty damned good.

looks like you got bilstein shocks as well. nice.

here is some tech stuff that tells you why your probably would not want to hook up the EGR and stock muffler set up (assuming you could get one anyway?).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

i have nothing against EGR. it does not impede performance or rob horsepower as some folks think. but you can see why a lot of owners would have stripped it off when faced with exhaust system replacement.

i can see the second sump lid i was talking about.
its the non temp sensor type as i speculated.
all data ties 919 to cal 75 1.8 without temp sensor lid and cabin gauge. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

for plumbing up the can.
the hose diagrams for the 74 are here.
page 3 of this thread in originality section.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...57407&st=40

75 just had the can moved to beside the battery.
suspect reason for moving can was location of the EGR.
in 74 the can was on the back firewall above where the EGR was in 75.
you could go for mounting the can same as 74?
you will be looking for the small diam plastic breather hose that comes from the fuel tank up front. runs through centre tunnel of car and makes its way into the engine bay on the rhs with the fuel lines near the battery tray. hopefully all still there.

as rhody guy says. plastic not hard to get apart (which it is from your photos) there is plenty of info around on how to refill them. but it might be ok as is.

member @Van B has done it recently.

-------

Enjoy driving the car for the coming summer. driving.gif
looks like you got yourself a pretty sweet little rig.
they go around corners a lot better that the brit stuff of the same era.
in fact they still go better around corners than stuff of this era. biggrin.gif
Van B
Yeah get the big carbon pellets from the pet store. I also replaced the foam disc with lawnmower air filter foam. Just cut a piece the same size and fit it in. In all its a pretty simple task and definitely stops the fumes.
Van B
Duplicate post.
MSGGrunt
Charcoal canister all apart and cleaned. Ordered Charcoal pellets off Amazon that should arrive in a few days. Where do you buy the proper cloth braided hose?

Click to view attachment
Craigers17
QUOTE(MSGGrunt @ Feb 8 2023, 06:51 PM) *

Charcoal canister all apart and cleaned. Ordered Charcoal pellets off Amazon that should arrive in a few days. Where do you buy the proper cloth braided hose?

Click to view attachment

I'd try 914Rubber....you might have to call them or pm Mark.
wonkipop
if you can't get them from 914 rubber then -

my memory might be playing tricks with me, but i think i got all the rubber cloth braided hoses for renewing from porsche (australia). they had all the sizes for entire L jet engine bay except for the NLA large diam that runs from crankcase vent valve to inlet air boot and the small green hose from distributor vac can.

another potential source i believe is through Audi dealers.

wonkipop
this mob in canada look like they have a fair bit of OEM german hoses for VWs.

https://germansupply.com/hoses-emissions-and-fuel/
MSGGrunt
This looks pretty complete.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Vacuum-...BAAVACKIT2.html

OrangeBones
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 25 2023, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 25 2023, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(rgolia @ Jan 25 2023, 10:00 AM) *

Now you have to come to the NE Gathering. June in the Poconos. There is a thread on it.

agree.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Come to the NE Gathering? Heck, I think he should be IN CHARGE of it. He's got a good-looking red 1.8 just like our previous fearless leader, @Big Len

Although Travis will do a fine job, I am sure.

welcome.png

Check out the NEG4 thread here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=363315

It would be great to get you out there with the new 914. Congrats and welcome to the fun/rust/addiction/community.
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.