Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BAT 76 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradburm
I bought a 76 on Mothers day that needed quite a bit of TLC - so this being my first go at clean up and redo of anything Porsche after much help with questions on here, i am just about finished. I do all my own work and my shop isn't close by so it takes time and patience.

Here is what I have taken care of, I am sure some of you purist will not like some of the changes I have made but functionality was key to me.

I have completely redone the interior, switched from all extremely dirty white, carpet and seats, door panels, backing and arm rest to a charcoal carpet, black arm rest and white seats, backing, door panels.

Took care of all the surface rust in the back trunk. Went through the engine everything checked out fine. I also surveyed the rest of the frame for any rust, etc which i cleaned up.

I am awaiting delivery of the parking brake sensor to install the drivers seat and then need to spend some time cleaning the engine compartment up a bit

I will post pictures

So thinking about my next project, 944 or 928 maybe, the pricing seems to be right

Thank you for everyones help

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bradburm
Interior Redo
bradburm
Rear Trunk
rgolia
So you are ready to sell it and start the next project?
StarBear
Sweet color combination. One of my favorites.
WizPorsche914
Did you use the POR 15 ?
bradburm
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 17 2023, 08:10 AM) *

So you are ready to sell it and start the next project?

My problem is I buy, fix and never sell - Just ask my wife. I will post pics of my shop and projects that I completed over the years.

I am a die hard MOPAR guy but the auction shows have taken all the fun out of restoring as people want a ton for there rotted out junk. That said,since the HEMI last year is 2023 and I have a 2010 Hemi RT. I am looking for a old MOPAR shell to drop it in and make a resto mod.

As a point of reference I find the older Porsche space, most of them anyway more reasonably priced and more value.

BB
bradburm
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Feb 17 2023, 08:47 AM) *

Did you use the POR 15 ?

I start with WD 40, dry, sand , followed by Eastwood Rust Plus - I brush on - I have used this on all my other projects

BB
rjames
Looks like you painted over the tar on the floorboards? Better to have pulled that stuff up first to make sure there wasn't rust hiding under it (usually is) or just have left it as it was for the next owner.

Love the car's color combo!
majkos1
I love the White interior!

any before shots of the interior before cleaning?
76-914
I like the color matched wheel petals. I did basically the same thing as you on my 76 about 14 years ago. I bought it for chump change and didn't see any reason to throw any money at it. Then the value sky rocketed so I'm going through it properly this time. BTW, why not throw a 340 in it. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 17 2023, 09:02 AM) *

Looks like you painted over the tar on the floorboards? Better to have pulled that stuff up first to make sure there wasn't rust hiding under it (usually is) or just have left it as it was for the next owner.

+1 for this car I would spend a weekend pulling up the tar on the floors and then repairing the rust against the firewall and then put back the sound deadening.

smile.gif We have a 75 that looked totally rust free but sure enough there was rust there, and I suspect it is from car washing.
bradburm
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 18 2023, 12:46 PM) *

+1 for this car I would spend a weekend pulling up the tar on the floors and then repairing the rust against the firewall and then put back the sound deadening.

smile.gif We have a 75 that looked totally rust free but sure enough there was rust there, and I suspect it is from car washing.

I hear you guys - if you noticed i scraped some of the tar back and no signs of rust showed - I also chose to do a tap test (I do this on my Mopars) in 1 inch spans to see if the instrument goes through the floorboard, panel etc - I did the same across the floorboards and firewalls, there were no punctures or significant gaps/holes - so I saved myself time and sealed it.

No paint, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator - to prevent any future rust hopefully.

rjames
QUOTE(bradburm @ Feb 18 2023, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 18 2023, 12:46 PM) *

I hear you guys - if you noticed i scraped some of the tar back and no signs of rust showed - I also chose to do a tap test (I do this on my Mopars) in 1 inch spans to see if the instrument goes through the floorboard, panel etc - I did the same across the floorboards and firewalls, there were no punctures or significant gaps/holes - so I saved myself time and sealed it.

No paint, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator - to prevent any future rust hopefully.

You saved yourself time but made more work for the next owner to do it right. When I removed the tar on my car there was rust underneath in many spots even though there were no signs on the surface. The rust can come from the underside of the car, too. Not trying to be an ass, just like seeing things done right the first time around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.