Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Cylinder Head Volume - 62cc Normal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DBF
Is 62 cc the expected volume in a rebuilt head with a light fly-cut?

I'm getting to work on the engine rebuild for my 74 Bumblebee. I got the heads back from the machine shop, and they look great, but experience with VW Type 1 engines tells me to double check everything. I found all four "heads" had a volume of 62cc, each checked three times. I even bought new medical grade equipment rather than use the old stuff I use to use on VW bugs. While it is reassuring that all heads are the equal, I was surprised that the volume was 62cc. I though stock 2.0 heads had a volume of 60cc, so wondering why mine measures 62cc, especially with the light fly-cut.

Is my new measuring equipment faulty or is my recollection of head volume faulty? My age is older than the head volume number so memory might be the culprit!

Thanks!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DBF @ Feb 23 2023, 07:10 PM) *

Is 62 cc the expected volume in a rebuilt head with a light fly-cut?

I'm getting to work on the engine rebuild for my 74 Bumblebee. I got the heads back from the machine shop, and they look great, but experience with VW Type 1 engines tells me to double check everything. I found all four "heads" had a volume of 62cc, each checked three times. I even bought new medical grade equipment rather than use the old stuff I use to use on VW bugs. While it is reassuring that all heads are the equal, I was surprised that the volume was 62cc. I though stock 2.0 heads had a volume of 60cc, so wondering why mine measures 62cc, especially with the light fly-cut.

Is my new measuring equipment faulty or is my recollection of head volume faulty? My age is older than the head volume number so memory might be the culprit!

Thanks!

Yes that's normal if you measured carefully and avoided the dreaded bubble.

When I did mine they were about 61cc

Amusingly someone in the past had written "56cc" on them, but was clearly measuring poorly and did not take the time to clear the bubble.

Zach
DBF
Thanks Zach. This is my first Type 4 rebuild (have done Type 1's and inline 4's), so likely will have more questions for the forum. Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.