Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk pivots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I tried searching but alas……..looking for measurements/references for placement of the rear trunk pivots. I have 2 new pivots to weld in but the previous hinges were such a mess I don’t really have a reference.
GregAmy
Are you shooting for a top-level concourse restoration? If not, just make it easy for yourself...

https://www.jwestengineering.com/914-Rear-T...-EACH_p_17.html

https://www.jwestengineering.com/assets/ima...nstructions.pdf
Mikey914
Typically you can see where the old ones were tack welded in and replace in the same position. Much easier with the engine out. Will require welding if you go OEM.
East coaster
I just sold a set of those in the classified here. I’m looking to weld in stock replacements. Not going for concours look but have something else (very non-stock) in mind that I want to base off of the stock mounts. Mine were so hacked up and booger welded you can’t really tell where they’re supposed to be.
Superhawk996
There is no great way to position them via measurement only, especially after the originals have been broken and booger welded up.

Trial fit the trunk without springs. Position gaps, tack the hinges.

Remove the trunk - weld them in place.

Kudos to you for avoiding the aftermarket bolt on. Personally, I hate solutions that add more parts and more weight to what is supposed to be a lightweight car. Sure it’s not much added weight but that is how cars get so heavy. Death by a thousand cuts. A little weight here, a little over there, next thing you know the car is 10 - 20% heavier. barf.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 2 2023, 08:02 AM) *
Personally, I hate solutions that add more parts and more weight to what is supposed to be a lightweight car. Sure it’s not much added weight but that is how cars get so heavy. Death by a thousand cuts. A little weight here, a little over there, next thing you know the car is 10 - 20% heavier. barf.gif

By that logic you would be an advocate for never adding power to the cars. Because thats the way the car was designed confused24.gif
Considering the the average weight of a new car is somewhere in the 2 TON range, I think you are picking nits smile.gif
The other way to think of it is the 914 engineers might have prefered to uses a BETTER solution but opted for a cheaper one considering the target market & VW deal.
r_towle
QUOTE(East coaster @ Mar 2 2023, 08:49 AM) *

I just sold a set of those in the classified here. I’m looking to weld in stock replacements. Not going for concours look but have something else (very non-stock) in mind that I want to base off of the stock mounts. Mine were so hacked up and booger welded you can’t really tell where they’re supposed to be.

Let me go see if I can get you a few measurements to help you locate them.

Rich
Olympic 914
This is what I had... But each car is different. so use my measurements with caution.

What I ended up doing was what @Superhawk996 recommended, and mounted the trunk lid with the trunk arm hinges in place and spot welding them in. then removing everything and welding them in solid.

Also since I didn't want to try bending over and welding upside down, (Not that skilled a welder) I removed the engine and just sat comfortably in the engine bay do do the welding.

But I am weird that way.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 2 2023, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 2 2023, 08:02 AM) *
Personally, I hate solutions that add more parts and more weight to what is supposed to be a lightweight car. Sure it’s not much added weight but that is how cars get so heavy. Death by a thousand cuts. A little weight here, a little over there, next thing you know the car is 10 - 20% heavier. barf.gif

By that logic you would be an advocate for never adding power to the cars. Because thats the way the car was designed confused24.gif
Considering the the average weight of a new car is somewhere in the 2 TON range, I think you are picking nits smile.gif
The other way to think of it is the 914 engineers might have prefered to uses a BETTER solution but opted for a cheaper one considering the target market & VW deal.

And your logic is why American car industry can’t produce a light weight car - been there done that poke.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 2 2023, 02:18 PM) *
And your logic is why American car industry can’t produce a light weight car - been there done that poke.gif
not on my radar..I ride a Motorcycle happy11.gif
seanpaulmc
Here’s my experience…

Trunk hinge replacement

Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 2 2023, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 2 2023, 02:18 PM) *
not on my radar..I ride a Motorcycle happy11.gif

I’m with you - good call. Always lighter, faster, and more fun than cages.
Click to view attachment
windforfun
Dump the plastic rollers. Aluminum ones are available from somewhere. BTDT.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
East coaster
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 2 2023, 01:41 PM) *

This is what I had... But each car is different. so use my measurements with caution.

What I ended up doing was what @Superhawk996 recommended, and mounted the trunk lid with the trunk arm hinges in place and spot welding them in. then removing everything and welding them in solid.

Also since I didn't want to try bending over and welding upside down, (Not that skilled a welder) I removed the engine and just sat comfortably in the engine bay do do the welding.

But I am weird that way.

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.