Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deusexmachina77
I'm trying to wrap up my front-end refresh and install my brake calipers.

1. Did I install the brake pad properly? Am I missing parts to hold the pins in place, or am I good?

2. Any tips on bending the gas line to the caliper? I'm worried I'm going to put a kink in it.

Thanks,
VictorClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
The brake line used a banjo bolt
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2023, 04:05 PM) *

The brake line used a banjo bolt

I removed a striped green line, and there was no banjo bolt. I do not understand your comment.

Thanks,
V
mepstein
The connection from the hardline to the caliper is a banjo bolt. No need to bend the line. It’s a very common way to attach the brake line to a caliper.
davep
Many front calipers use the Banjo connection for a right angle direction change. It has a hollow bolt with 2 different copper washers and the brass banjo.
Click to view attachment

Your pad installation looks correct, the pins have a compressible collar that holds them in place. The caliper looks to be just sandblasted but not plated or painted. It should at least be rattle can painted with high temperature paint to keep the rusting down or the pads will rust into place.
Deusexmachina77
I guess I didn't think to look for something else because I didn't remove anything.
mgphoto
The items you need are listed in the PET

Click to view attachment

Numbers 1, 3, 4, 5
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 3 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Many front calipers use the Banjo connection for a right angle direction change. It has a hollow bolt with 2 different copper washers and the brass banjo.
Click to view attachment

Your pad installation looks correct, the pins have a compressible collar that holds them in place. The caliper looks to be just sandblasted but not plated or painted. It should at least be rattle can painted with high temperature paint to keep the rusting down or the pads will rust into place.

Thank you for the photo. Now it makes sense.
Not to be a complete idiot, but do I paint the inside as well and mask off the piston area?
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 3 2023, 07:11 PM) *

The items you need are listed in the PET

Click to view attachment

Numbers 1, 3, 4, 5

beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Mar 3 2023, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 3 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thank you for the photo. Now it makes sense.
Not to be a complete idiot, but do I paint the inside as well and mask off the piston area?

Yup
914 RZ-1
I'm having a similar issue: I want the brake line have a bend in it that allows it to go into the caliper without a banjo bolt. If you look at the PET, there are 2 hard lines that go into the front calipers. One has the 90° bend, the other does not and requires the banjo.

#11 is for cars up thru 1971 and #12 is for cars with VIN 19032 and later, if I'm reading the PET correctly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I bought what I thought were the correct hard lines from PMB, but they are the same as #11, even though my order was indicated as #12. I could not easily find the banjo bolt and other parts on PMB's site. I will be calling them on Monday top get some clarification.
willieg
I had a similar problem with two calipers I purchased. The very easy solution, which I did, was to purchase two banjo bolts and banjo fittings from PMB, along with the washers. There are other ways but for me, this was the easiest.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(willieg @ Mar 5 2023, 04:35 PM) *

I had a similar problem with two calipers I purchased. The very easy solution, which I did, was to purchase two banjo bolts and banjo fittings from PMB, along with the washers. There are other ways but for me, this was the easiest.

I could not find either of these on the PMB website. I typed in the part name, the part number and looked in the sections I thought they would be in and got nothin'. You got a link?

I'm pretty sure they shipped me the wrong ones. My car currently has the ones I'm looking for, but I'm replacing them while I'm redoing the calipers.
Mike D.
914 RZ-1 is Right.
The later front caliper, 73 on did not have the banjo bolt. Seeing how the correct hard lines should be $20 a pair, and the Banjo bolt complete set on Pelican and PMS are about $70, I think I'd just opt for the correct later set at $20 and not spend $90 for 8 inches of brake line...

I have 3 cars here that have this on the front...

Eric_Shea
As per Mike's post, you have a late caliper and an early line. You need to order the late lines and it will bolt right in. Banjo not needed or recommended for the late calipers.

https://pmbperformance.com/products/12-cali...14-72-8-76-pair

Keep in mind, the parts diagram shows the correct line, the photos are for representational purposes to show the various materials (OM Steel, Stainless Steel and Cohline Green). They just so happen to be the 914 355 603 00 line that you "don't" need so, that may be confusing.

Hope that helps,

Eric
914 RZ-1
Thanks, Mike D. and @Eric_Shea .

I called PMB and they sent me the wrong part. I originally ordered the correct one. The ones I want are on sale, so I'm sending back the wrong ones and getting the right ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.