Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobforman
Learned today my 2.0 flywheel has been turned at least once. Concerned about doing it again but would like to know the minimum tolerances for the offset (depth of the plate surface and the pressure plate mounting surface). Can't seem to find it in the workshop manual.
r_towle
Dave has a full diagram.
Search here, it’s been posted.
rjames
It was suggested in that thread (and by the new flywheel I purchased from PP at the time ) that the diagram was for a -6 flywheel. I never got a definitive answer for a type 4 flywheel after creating that post.
confused24.gif
bobforman
Thanks much.
technicalninja
A good VW machine shop should know that info and when the flywheel is turned the same amount should have been removed from the PP mounting surface.
This is called a dual or step cut and will be more expensive than a single cut.

I don't have a measurement either but if you can get Eric on the phone he would probably know.

https://www.automotivemachine.com/

This machine shop specialized in VWs first...
I've known Eric since he was 5 years old.
His dad Tom started AM in the 70s I believe.

He now modifies type 1 engines into oil field equipment for the removal of natural gas and contaminates from oil wells.

Ever seen a V8 that 1/2 of it was a compressor?

He did the same basic thing with a type 1.

There is a picture of it under VW parts header on his web site if you're interested.
technicalninja
Just looked at that other thread.

If you are asking about measurement C (disc surface to flywheel bolt mounting surface)
I have a 73 2.0 flywheel that I believe has never been turned and its C measurement is right at 9mm so I'm thinking 9 is what they start out as and not a minimum thickness measurement.

In your shoes I'd call AM anyways.
He's very hard to get on the phone. Leaving a message is usually a requirement.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 7 2023, 09:02 PM) *

It was suggested in that thread (and by the new flywheel I purchased from PP at the time ) that the diagram was for a -6 flywheel. I never got a definitive answer for a type 4 flywheel after creating that post.
confused24.gif

The only difference between a /4 flywheel and a /6 flywheel is the crank mounting surface. They use the exact same clutch disk and pressure plate. So the dimensions for turning a flywheel are the exact same.

technicalninja
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2023, 06:49 AM) *

The only difference between a /4 flywheel and a /6 flywheel is the crank mounting surface. They use the exact same clutch disk and pressure plate. So the dimensions for turning a flywheel are the exact same.

That's good info Clay. Thanks!

So, the step between disc surface and pp mounting surface is 22.5mm or "A" in the diagram.

This is the important measurement to get correct.

Many times in the past I've found inaccuracies in published OEM data...

Why would anyone cut the ring gear upper surface?

That diagram shows different values for "B" which is the total thickness of the flywheel.
In my world this figure would never change as I see no need or gain for machining the face of the ring gear, just extra cost as that would be a third cut at the machine shop.

My unmachined 73 flywheel measures 40.4mm for B and the back surface is not flat as shown in the diagram. It has a small chamfer on the outer edge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.