Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seatbelt Spring - Rewinding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I need assistance re-winding the spring in my seatbelt. Anyone do this before? I made the mistake of taking the cover off and it went flying. Now I have to figure out how to put it back in. Where do I place the end of the spring to start it?
StarBear
Boingggg! Not the first time! beer.gif
mmascari
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 11 2023, 04:09 PM) *

Boingggg! Not the first time! beer.gif

LOL, scared me
jim_hoyland
IIRC The spring was rewound opposite to the direction I thought it should be wound.
And, when you get it done Have a Beer!
jim_hoyland
Try this video:
https://youtu.be/0EbD8Y3I4nU
Van B
Been there done that. I just got new seat belts from seatbelt planet. They will put your original hardware on new reel and webbing.
FlacaProductions
Here's how I did it - hopefully it'll make sense.
Start here:
Click to view attachment

and then I put a board held with a spring clamp to keep the spring from sliding sideways off the axle. Used two screwdrivers in the axle slot to tighten it - going 180 degrees at a time, alternating the screwdrivers so it can't totally unravel.
Click to view attachment

and hopefully, it ends like this:
Click to view attachment
bkrantz
Yup, it can be done. Watch out for flying springs and cut fingers.
dirk2056
confused24.gif Send out to a vendor and have the Pro's do it you are going to waist a ton of time and still have 50-year-old parts. Why do I know?? It was less than $150 for both.
mmascari
Thank you to all that responded on this with great detailed info. After messing with it for an hour I decided that I am just going to send it back to see if they can reinstall the spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.