Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition switch will not turn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shag
Help, my ignition switch will not turn. I can install and remove key. After I jiggled the key the buzzer sounded because the door was open but I still could not turn the key. I would like to keep the original key and just repair the switch if I can but how do I repair this?
Robarabian
Maybe you have a stuck wafer in the lock...

You can either remove it and inspect and clean and re-lube or

Just try to lube it up with a lubricant that is not one that attracts and holds dirt / crud... dont drench it in other words. Maybe start with some light lube on the key itself and work it around gently.

I know others will chime in, but I would start there.

QUOTE(shag @ Mar 13 2023, 12:19 PM) *

Help, my ignition switch will not turn. I can install and remove key. After I jiggled the key the buzzer sounded because the door was open but I still could not turn the key. I would like to keep the original key and just repair the switch if I can but how do I repair this?

shag
You think If I just put a bunch of dry lubricant on the key and wiggle it around a while that may solve the problem. Ok I will try that first. It cannot hurt anything! Thanks for your input.
mihai914
Just wait a little, there is a member here who rebuilds locks sets and has a lot of expertise.

I think he doesn't recommend using dry lubricant.

@thecabinetmaker
shag
Ok, I just returned from the garage and I don't have any dry lubricant. Read your post and I will not do anything until I hear from the person you are referring to. Thanks to everyone.
r_towle
Have you wiggled the steering wheel to take the pressure off the key(rotation) lock?
It may be sitting wierd.

There are also “how to” threads and articles showing how to remove the switch and cylinder, it’s not terribly complicated.

Or
Cabinetmaker
shag
r towle, That was it!!! I know I had this problem years ago but have forgotten about it. Thanks very much I greatly appreciate all the help from everyone.
euro911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 13 2023, 01:02 PM) *

Have you wiggled the steering wheel to take the pressure off the key(rotation) lock?
It may be sitting wierd.

There are also “how to” threads and articles showing how to remove the switch and cylinder, it’s not terribly complicated.

Or
Cabinetmaker

agree.gif
shag
Mihai, I would like to ask the individual you are talking about if there is there a lubricant that should be used to keep the switch from doing this again and to keep its longevity?
StarBear
QUOTE(shag @ Mar 13 2023, 05:19 PM) *

Mihai, I would like to ask the individual you are talking about if there is there a lubricant that should be used to keep the switch from doing this again and to keep its longevity?

popcorn[1].gif biggrin.gif
r_towle
If you take one apart you will see the key cylinder is locked in position by the little tumblers that properly retract when you put the key in place, no lube required.

Then you are simply turning an electrical switch, which should never be lubricated.

The steering wheel lock is a 1/4 in pin that drops into place ….that can need help moving and in some cases it will not move if sideways pressure is pushing on it.

Wiggling the steering wheel can remove that pressure.
Pulling the wheel to one side or the other while trying to turn the key can also help.
GregAmy
This is NOT a "dis" to the OP...seriously, it's not.

This is an old-guy rant (with cane pointed at clouds) about how our steering shafts have always (well, since around '69/'70) been locked with a pin/shaft extending from the manual lock cylinder into the steering shaft so that the car could not be stolen if it was hot-wired, because the perp could not turn the steering lock. So you had to relieve that friction from the shaft so that you could turn the pin with the key.

I mean, I thought EVERYONE* knew this...!

To the OP: you're driving a manual transmission car. I salute you. Go forth and multiply.

I'm going back to my Geritol (you can look it up). - GA

*Well, GenX and beyond...
Osnabruck914
Once again r_towle has the answer. He has given great advice time and time again over the years and should be put in the 914World Hall of Fame if Sir Andy ever creates one. I know he's helped me many times in my former life as username "Ansbacher".

Osnabruck914 (Ansbacher)
shag
I would like to thank you all for your comments and help, especially r_rowle for his insight to my negligible knowledge of the switch.
technicalninja
A bunch of new cars no longer have the steering lock.

If you don't have the steering lock something else has to lock...

Transmission and parking brake locks are a thing now.

I FAR prefer the steering locks over the others.

It's gotten far more complex and difficult to repair the auto lock crap.

The parking brake locks are the worst IMO.

Lots of cars have fully electric door locks now as well.

You get a weird electrical problem, and you cannot open the doors.
When you send a wrecker to pick it up sometimes they have to DRAG it onto the flat bed.

Modern solutions to an old problem make an auto technicians job harder.

Don't diss the steering lock. At least this system was purely mechanical.

I've had to crawl under cars to hook up a jump box to either the alternator or starter lug multiple times in the past year.

Stupidity...
mihai914
QUOTE(shag @ Mar 13 2023, 05:19 PM) *

@shag

You can read this short thread that talks about lubricating the locks.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=363475&hl=

TheCabinetmaker is the member I was talking about.
shag
Hello Mihai, Thanks for the good reading material. I must get some of that stuff!
TheCabinetmaker
Glad you got it sorted! Rich is usually on the money! After 50 years the ignitions get gummed up and need a good cleaning and relubing. I provide this service, or you can do it yourself with some patience and are good with handling very small items.
shag
Thanks to all and for not making me feel like the dumbass that I am. R_towle are you going to attend the Carlisle Show? If so please let me know. I would like to meet you. I will be there Friday night for the 914 run and all day Saturday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.