Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT steel wheel arches - Dansk or Restoration Design - difference?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
911_2.2T
I'm starting a GT project and need to source a set of steel GT wheel arches.
I've seen that Dansk and Restoration design have them, but is there difference in size, shape and fitting?
I've seen some description that Dansk ones can accept up to 9J in width, but I do not want my car to look to wide.
Anyone have experience with both vendors parts?
mepstein
The Dansk flares are newly released and I haven’t heard of anyone with them on their car so it’s going to be hard to get any real world feedback for another year or so. The restoration Design/auto Atlanta flares have been out for about 15 years so that’s what’s on everyone’s cars right now, except for the few who bought Porsche brand flares.
sixaddict
For what it’s worth, conversion my son now owns has Porsche steel flares. I ran 16 X 9 Fuchs. Ran R-7 Hoosiers (245/45 rear) but had rub. R-6s had no issue.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(911_2.2T @ Mar 30 2023, 12:38 AM) *

I'm starting a GT project and need to source a set of steel GT wheel arches.
I've seen that Dansk and Restoration design have them, but is there difference in size, shape and fitting?
I've seen some description that Dansk ones can accept up to 9J in width, but I do not want my car to look to wide.
Anyone have experience with both vendors parts?

The physical dimensions of all 3 sources should be identical as standard GT flares can accept up to 8J in the front and 9J in the rear without modifications.
Of course, you have to have the correct offset on your wheels.

You can always run smaller rims with a different offset, nobody forces you to run 9J wheels in the rear.
Case in point, i run 7J with 225 tires on all 4 corners using wheel spacers to make sure the wheels fill the wheel arches nicely.

As mentioned above, there isn't much feedback on the Dansk flares yet so i can't comment on their fit.
The RD/AA flares are good quality but do require some fitting and smoothing. As do the factory flares by the way, they are far from perfect either.
bye1.gif
sixnotfour
9J ...15s or 16s ?? 15x9s not so much..
Click to view attachment
911_2.2T
Thanks for the info. The GT flares on my other car must be RRD, they were on it when I bought the car in the US a couple years ago.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 2 2023, 09:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Great chart! Does anyone know the inner wheel well to fender lip dimensions for the RD and AA GT flares front and rear?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 4 2023, 07:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Great chart! Does anyone know the inner wheel well to fender lip dimensions for the RD and AA GT flares front and rear?

Don’t take any dimension as gospel. They tend to vary depending on the car and installation.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 4 2023, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 4 2023, 07:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Don’t take any dimension as gospel. They tend to vary depending on the car and installation.

sixnotfour
wheels don t vary , flare lips do..
Yes measure to outside of flare ,lips may vary...
Tom1394racing
I am planning on Minilites 7X15 front & 8X15 rear with 1" spacers on the front. Tires will be Michelin TB15 18/60R15 front & 23/62R15 rear.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 5 2023, 10:46 AM) *

I am planning on Minilites 7X15 front & 8X15 rear with 1" spacers on the front. Tires will be Michelin TB15 18/60R15 front & 23/62R15 rear.

Should be fine. I have some wood templates that Rory made. It helps you bend the lip into a U shape instead of just trimming it short. I’ll post pics.
mepstein
Rory's pic and info. I still have to dig up the wood templates.

"The flange is turned up, not trimmed.
I traced the curve of the wheel opening and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to conform to that shape. We then clamped it to the inside of the fender and shaped it (body hammer) as you might find on a standard fender. This adds strength and doesn't take away too much tire clearance.
As for the wheel/tires in the rear .... no spacers. I have about 3/4" space on the outside on either side. Add 21mm spacers ? at that point it would be TIGHT.
On the inside each has about 1/2" clearance. I don't think 9" wheels will fit. Can I size up from a 225 to a ? 235 , 245 ? on my 8" sixteens ? don't know."
sixnotfour
9x15s 245/50 x15s
lip rolled , factory flairs.. one fit one didnt ,, application is everything..
mepstein
These are the wood templates that Rory used to turn up the inside of the flare. It gives a bit more clearance and keeps the edge of the metal away from the tire. It does change the profile to more of a folded over edge.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2023, 08:40 AM) *

These are the wood templates that Rory used to turn up the inside of the flare. It gives a bit more clearance and keeps the edge of the metal away from the tire. It does change the profile to more of a folded over edge.

Thanks for the suggestion.
mlindner
Steel flares, running 7 & 8s 15 maxilite's with 1/2 spacer on fronts.Click to view attachment
tygaboy
RE: looking too wide, it's down to your wheel width, offset and tire choice.
I wanted wide and went with Ronal 8s and 9s. The 8s are 10.6 offset, just like the 911 Fuchs 8". The 9s are 13 vs the Fuchs 9 at 15. Meaning, in the rear, I'm 2mm wider per side. No spacers, Carrera rotors, Boxster (base, not S) calipers on all 4 corners.

My car does look wide, just like I wanted. If this look isn't what you're after, run 7s and 8s, 205/225 and use spacers that give you the look you do want. Just my $0.02.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.