Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: retractable seatbelts on early cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
Hi all, I have a '71 and I've long wished for retractable seatbelts.

I am aware that there's at least one aftermarket set that has the spool right next to the occupant's head, but I'm not interested in a head injury from such a placement.

Does anyone have any other aftermarket suggestions? Or would I need to do sheetmetal work to place later-year stock belts in?

Again, for clarification... I am aware that there's at least one aftermarket set that has the spool right next to the occupant's head, but I'm not interested in a head injury from such a placement.

IPB Image
brubou
Seatbelt Planet units bolt into the stock location behind the backpad. You would have to alter your backpad and firewall to get them in place.
gereed75
Glenn, It was a long time ago but I installed retractors in an early car. Pretty foggy memory of this but pretty sure I mounted retractors to the stock seat belt anchors down below and used the stock shoulder anchors to bolt in the hook that turns the belt across the chest.

I think I used VW Rabbit belts. I recall that the only alteration required was with the back pad foam to make room for the retractor and that the back pad did not fit tight afterward but they worked.

I know I had them and I know I made no major alterations. Just cant recall all the details.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 6 2023, 03:44 PM) *

Glenn, It was a long time ago but I installed retractors in an early car. Pretty foggy memory of this but pretty sure I mounted retractors to the stock seat belt anchors down below and used the stock shoulder anchors to bolt in the hook that turns the belt across the chest.

I think I used VW Rabbit belts. I recall that the only alteration required was with the back pad foam to make room for the retractor and that the back pad did not fit tight afterward but they worked.

I know I had them and I know I made no major alterations. Just cant recall all the details.

Thank you! I'm ok with making room in the foam. I'll check that out, I might even have some VW rabbit belts in my stash somewhere...
Cairo94507
@Optimusglen - Well, I am doing the same thing to my '71. I have decided to go with the factory later seatbelts so I have sourced later firewall sections for both sides that we will cut and weld into place when we drop the motor next winter. As much as I do not want to do that, with the motor out, it should not be that tough. Any other way seemed like it would just create issues down the road.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 7 2023, 07:39 AM) *

@Optimusglen - Well, I am doing the same thing to my '71. I have decided to go with the factory later seatbelts so I have sourced later firewall sections for both sides that we will cut and weld into place when we drop the motor next winter. As much as I do not want to do that, with the motor out, it should not be that tough. Any other way seemed like it would just create issues down the road.

I wish I could do that. With the condition of my shell, and how much I'd want to do "while I'm in there" it would probably be cheaper and quicker to source a different later-model shell and swap my parts over.

gereed75
Glenn. Let us know how this goes. I drive my 70 a lot and the old belts are pretty scary. Can't get them tight, don't stay tight. Very hard to adjust

Generally scary for me and even more so for passengers for whom i invariably dont take the time to adjust right. PITA!

Would definitly like a reversible option. I appreciate what Mike is doing but for the same reasons as you, I am not going there
raynekat
I went the same path as Glen and welded in the later firewall sections both sides that have the recess for the retractible belts.
It's definitely takes some time and effort, but the end results are definitely worth it.
Cairo94507
@raynekat - Would you happen to have any photos of the pieces being welded into the firewall? Curious how much of the surrounding area you had to cut out before welding in the new receiver pieces. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
OMG early belts ,,set and forget...
Cairo94507
Early belts are not fun to live with for a street driven car in my experience. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I got a set from Seatbelt Planet with an extra 14" of belt and mounted the retractor at the base of the firewall. Granted, my firewall isn't stock but maybe this is an option?
BTW, they work great. Also, the pic shows the factory retractor - just for placement/testing.
Optimusglen
Quick update on this.

In a late-night burst of enthusiasm, I purchased the AA retrofit belt kit, which I expressly said I wasn't interested in... They arrived and I installed. Now I see why there aren't any pictures of these installed...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Needless to say, it looks bad. The driver side reel is not as intrusive on headspace as I thought, but passenger is pretty bad.

I looked at VW Rabbit belts, and then found these Beetle belts. Adveertised as being from a 1972-1977

Click to view attachment

That bracket at the bottom might give some options for placement...

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hi Glen @Optimusglen . That is what I suspected was going to be the case with the optional belts that mount up high by your head. I agree with your assessment; not going in my car. Thanks for the picture. beerchug.gif

I am just getting ready to contact Seat Belt Planet and order a set of the retractible belts for my car so I have all of the parts needed when we begin cutting, welding & painting.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nothing except the ones seat belt planet did for us. They fit where the upper attachment on the roll bolster originally existed, work great.

Years and years ago, I actually put retractible seat belts in my 914-6 by cutting out the rear back wall and welding in the later seat belt pods. That allowed me to install the later factory retractible belts.

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 6 2023, 07:53 AM) *

Hi all, I have a '71 and I've long wished for retractable seatbelts.

I am aware that there's at least one aftermarket set that has the spool right next to the occupant's head, but I'm not interested in a head injury from such a placement.

Does anyone have any other aftermarket suggestions? Or would I need to do sheetmetal work to place later-year stock belts in?

Again, for clarification... I am aware that there's at least one aftermarket set that has the spool right next to the occupant's head, but I'm not interested in a head injury from such a placement.

IPB Image

raynekat
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 8 2023, 06:23 AM) *

@raynekat - Would you happen to have any photos of the pieces being welded into the firewall? Curious how much of the surrounding area you had to cut out before welding in the new receiver pieces. beerchug.gif

Sorry I haven't been on the site for awhile.

Starting at post #196 on page 5 of my build thread into page 6 are some pics.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9327&st=160
Dave_Darling
I wonder if there's enough space around the outboard lower attachment for an inertia reel? Probably not, but....

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.