Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hella 118/115 fog and driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
I found this white paper at the "Audette Collection"/"Best in Class" web site. Pretty interesting reading on the 914 fog lights for USA (Hella 115) and lights for other markets (Hella 118). Also some good information on the Through-the-grill (TTG) Hella 118s found on early 911s.

According to the paper, the information was collected from from past posts in the Early 911S Registry (and credits the following: 70SATMan, D. Miller, Soterick, 66S, Allen Henderson, VintageExcellen, kenikh).

Here's the link:

https://911bestinclass.com/pages/ac-white-p...-driving-lights

My "collection" of lights is a mixed bag: Chrome 118s with H3 bulbs and clear fog lenses are on the car (lower left in this picture):
Click to view attachment
The H3 bulbs draw 55 watts each. Since these are used mostly as DRLs, I may try to find a LED H3 replacement. Other lights in this picture are a 914 Hella 118 driving light (lower right), and a Cibie 43 ("Tango") fog light (upper center). The Hella driving lights used to be available at Performance Products for about $50, Cibie lights were about the same.

I recently cleaned up an old set of the original 115 fog lights--new lenses ands seals, repainted bezels, but no bulbs...
Click to view attachment
I remember these being pretty bad--and they would still pull 35 watts each. Maybe I'll go with a set of Spokeworks' LED boards later.

A quick size comparison between the 115 and 118 lights--note the width of the bezel:
Click to view attachment

And yes, that's a chip in the 118 driving light icon8.gif
Click to view attachment

And not sure why, but on these lights Hella bonded the lens to the reflector using some kind of hard white stuff:
Click to view attachment

It appears to be the same stuff Cibie used to assemble their headlights back in the day:
Click to view attachment

While replacement lenses are available through Audette's, fixing the light will likely involve braking out the original lens and using one of 914Rubber's seals with the replacement. More on this later...

Mikey914
We have the 911 in amber and clear, as well as the US and Euro versions of the lenses.
On the 914 side, clear and amber T1/2 and T4s.

Made the sori g tabs to retain the lenses too.
The spring clip with screw and the spring "wires"

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Fog+light
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 12 2023, 05:51 PM) *

We have the 911 in amber and clear, as well as the US and Euro versions of the lenses.
On the 914 side, clear and amber T1/2 and T4s.

Made the sori g tabs to retain the lenses too.
The spring clip with screw and the spring "wires"

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Fog+light

Good news for us early 914 guys
My GT project is a 'poverty' version of an early European 914.
Meaning no appearance options just a basic Euro delivery car with everything available
for performance.
With apoligies for the 16" wheels and 3.2 SS shades.gif
Thank you Mark
double-a
great info @anderssj! i love the hella 118s, i think they're perfect for the 914. i have a pair installed on my 1.8, with yellow reflectors, clear lenses, LEDs, and lens protector film from 914rubber.

Click to view attachment
anderssj
Thanks!

And Mark, that's good to know that you carry all those different lenses and things! Thanks!

One other note--in messing with these lights, I found that the old Cibie 40 ("Tango") lens/relector assemblies are a pretty good fit for the Hella housings:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The Cibie unit is top center in this pic:
Click to view attachment

Another option that's only a little more work: the Cibie lens assembly fits the Hella 118 bezel. idea.gif

I had these Cibies on a Volvo 240 while living in Seattle back in the day--my first experience with halogens: LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Might eventually try these on the 914 too. While the H2 bulb holder can be a little tempermental, they provide excellent lighting for their size....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.