Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone want to comment on this BAT discussion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Steve
I had a TI-66 in college in the mid 80’s.
http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Galaxy/TI-66.htm
It was worth every penny. I was allowed to use it during tests. I programmed in a very complex formula in it and past the test. Some students did it long hand on paper and flunked the test.
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 23 2023, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(dgw @ Apr 22 2023, 11:09 PM) *

OK you calculator nuts, I have an HP 11C. Anybody interested in it?

@dgw

The last year the HP-11c was sold, 1989, the price was $56.00... punching that into the US CPI inflation calculator gives that as $136 in 2023 dollars.

Ebay has them used from $100-200, not bad for holding its value after 34 years !!!

This series of calculator was amazing.. the batteries in Voyager series (10c, 11c, 12c, 15c,16c) last forever - over 10 years for my 12c. business calc. Impressive for not being solar powered with only 0.25 mW power consumption.

Not sure what's worse, being a calculator nerd or 914 nerd... but at least I'm in good company...

you forgot software nerd?

i am also one of those.
i run an off grid hp laptop that still goes (after 18 years) with autocad 2005 on it.
and windows hp. in my view the most highly evolved of the autocad programs by auto desk. after that they deliberately sabotageod the program with "upgrades" and "improvements" alongside their newly developed "3 D"software. i use my off grid laptop for anything i need to draw fast and with ease and then just bring files across to the connected equipment. there was a peak moment in some software. it doesn't wlways get better. a bit like cars.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 23 2023, 04:49 PM) *

It was worth every penny. I was allowed to use it during tests. I programmed in a very complex formula in it and past the test. Some students did it long hand on paper and flunked the test.
Click to view attachment

nice bit of equipment. TI stuff was up there with HP.
but not RPN

us RPN guys are into the ENTER key. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
RPN is a real 70s thing that faded away as @Vitamin914 noted above.
but if you use one and get into it you just can't understand why the equal sign method won the day.
vitamin914
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 23 2023, 06:00 PM) *

you forgot software nerd?

i am also one of those.
i run an off grid hp laptop that still goes (after 18 years) with autocad 2005 on it.
and windows hp. in my view the most highly evolved of the autocad programs by auto desk. after that they deliberately sabotageod the program with "upgrades" and "improvements" alongside their newly developed "3 D"software. i use my off grid laptop for anything i need to draw fast and with ease and then just bring files across to the connected equipment. there was a peak moment in some software. it doesn't wlways get better. a bit like cars.

I'm guilty of that too.. I use an ancient 2D CAD package too. Mostly because I know all the two letter keyboard commands. Used to be called Generic CADD for DOS then evolved to Visual CADD in Windows. Back then was dirt cheap compared to AutoCad by an order of magnitude. Visual CADD still exists today and I can whip off a drawing in minutes compared the learning curve of anything else... rather drive the 914 than learn new software.
vitamin914
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 23 2023, 05:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

These were evil. Miss one and you were hunting for the missing bracket in a single line that you had to scroll through... miss two complete ones and you would have a horrific answer. One of the reasons RPN made it less error prone than algebraic entry.

Don't get me wrong TI had good machines but I just could not stand using the parentheses (bracket).

You did bring back an PTSD memory... had my then HP41C (the CX I got later) stuffed with formulas for first year electricity exam. To this day I still consider it retarded to have to memorize complicated equations - you always look them up the avoid the IIRC trap... Anyway, the exam announcement... open your exam and begin... Not a minute later I had three exam Procters surrounding my desk... asking about my calculator. Me ready to crap bricks being caught with what was in the machine... thankfully there is a three button start up that wipes the memory and displays "MEMORY LOST". Evidence gone. Still passed, thankfully, but it did rattle my nerves.

After that I wrote a program to simulate the memory lost display - never used it.
Remember if you are not cheating, you're not trying hard enough...

GregAmy

...and I have a TI-59 with PC-100C thermal printer base, should anyone want it...
wonkipop
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 23 2023, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 23 2023, 05:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

These were evil. Miss one and you were hunting for the missing bracket in a single line that you had to scroll through... miss two complete ones and you would have a horrific answer. One of the reasons RPN made it less error prone than algebraic entry.

Don't get me wrong TI had good machines but I just could not stand using the parentheses (bracket).

You did bring back an PTSD memory... had my then HP41C (the CX I got later) stuffed with formulas for first year electricity exam. To this day I still consider it retarded to have to memorize complicated equations - you always look them up the avoid the IIRC trap... Anyway, the exam announcement... open your exam and begin... Not a minute later I had three exam Procters surrounding my desk... asking about my calculator. Me ready to crap bricks being caught with what was in the machine... thankfully there is a three button start up that wipes the memory and displays "MEMORY LOST". Evidence gone. Still passed, thankfully, but it did rattle my nerves.

After that I wrote a program to simulate the memory lost display - never used it.
Remember if you are not cheating, you're not trying hard enough...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

over here they just plain gave up on trying to police calculators in the university exams.
they figured you are smart enough to program one your smart enough to get the degree.
when i did my high school certificate the year before in 77 calcs were banned.
even the dumbo accountants type ones with equal signs.
you had to lay out your equations long hand line by line in the exam anyway.
i guess it was good. i can still do a lot of maths in my head which confounds young people when i got into big offices every now and then on red adair missions to fix up juvenile mistakes that could get my old mates with big offices in court.

the youngens can't believe i can do maths in my head.
or if start writing down equations they just get eyeballs that get very wide.
i often have answers before they finish pulling their iphones out and scrolling to find the caculator simulation. biggrin.gif

one other thing from high school i fluked was learning to touch type.
they experimented on us in an early exercise in gender equality manipulation.
we had to do exchange with the girls who normally did typing (and cookery) they got to do woodwork and metal work. got taught to touch type perfectly. for one term.
can smash away at the keyboard on the auto cad program without taking my eyes off the screen. there were some bonuses to life as a teenager in the 70s. of course its all gotten right out of hand these days. the experiment has failed? beer.gif
rhodyguy
Calculators? Thread done gone south.
carr914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 24 2023, 09:38 AM) *

blink.gif

Click to view attachment
r_towle

Makes about as much sense as giving someone shit about converting to carbs when all they are trying to do is sell their car.
MCShack
I used HP35/45s in engineering college after fighting a slide rule for a bit. Later my company bought HP41Cs for us engineers, then some of us got 41CVs and later a 41CX. Still have mine, but also have one HP41CX still in the box with paperwork, never used, how much is that worth on eBay?

I had D-Jet brain box that I hung onto too long b/c I though it might come in handy someday. I gave it away with some other parts on the last 914 I sold a few years back and got next to nothing for the car, parts and all, maybe I should have added the calculator? https://www.hpmuseum.org/rpn.htm
BillJ
This has to be the craziest topic shift in 914world history. Start out with comments on a BAT auction to archaic calculators lol
GregAmy
Well, don't forget we diverted to the archaic design of the D-Jet "computer" before that...so it's not that far off...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 24 2023, 02:30 PM) *

This has to be the craziest topic shift in 914world history. Start out with comments on a BAT auction to archaic calculators lol

IMHO - keeps it interesting. Never know what you might get when you visit! happy11.gif beer3.gif
vitamin914
QUOTE(BillJ @ Apr 24 2023, 02:30 PM) *

Yep too true. From one pointless conversation to another - so technically still on track.
dgw
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 23 2023, 01:41 PM) *

@dgw

The last year the HP-11c was sold, 1989, the price was $56.00... punching that into the US CPI inflation calculator gives that as $136 in 2023 dollars.

Ebay has them used from $100-200, not bad for holding its value after 34 years !!!

This series of calculator was amazing.. the batteries in Voyager series (10c, 11c, 12c, 15c,16c) last forever - over 10 years for my 12c. business calc. Impressive for not being solar powered with only 0.25 mW power consumption.

Not sure what's worse, being a calculator nerd or 914 nerd... but at least I'm in good company...

Thanks for the pricing news. I was just tryin to give it away if somebody wanted it.
Mikey914
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swollow? shades.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2023, 10:02 AM) *

Makes about as much sense as giving someone shit about converting to carbs when all they are trying to do is sell their car.

right on.
beer.gif

porsche had the last word on carbs v fuel injection.
dr. horst marcharts car. 74 1.8 euro spec. high compression pistons.
straight out of the factory box.
shit solex carbs but still made 85 hp.
i have to suck on that every time i think of my 76 hp L jet. beer.gif

if vw hadn't wussed out on right hand drive production, this is what we woulda' got down here in north antarctica. i wouldn't have been complaining or bothering to join in BAT discussions to pee on someone's car.

back to claybar-ing my calculator. now that i know its a cult item worth probably more $ per gram than the 914. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 24 2023, 11:03 PM) *

African or European?
carr914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 25 2023, 12:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 1 2023, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 25 2023, 12:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Well....

Not to be redundant, but I might need a calculator to figure this out.
I wonder which type would be best....hmmmm

mmichalik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 24 2023, 09:03 PM) *

roughly 20.1 miles per hour
rhodyguy
Where can I get one of those?

Ding dong. Open window near the front door. ‘Did you read and have answers to the questions on the mat?’. No? Goodbye. NOW! Get off of my feckin’ property.
Aerostatwv
QUOTE(dgw @ Apr 24 2023, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Apr 23 2023, 01:41 PM) *

@dgw

Thanks for the pricing news. I was just tryin to give it away if somebody wanted it.

I still use my 11C. In fact, there's an Apple app for the 11C. The only calculator that didn't get lost or stolen because no one understands RPN. Bought it in 1983...
Superhawk996
av-943.gif It’s a cult aktion035.gif
73-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 1 2023, 02:05 PM) *

Where can I get one of those?

Ding dong. Open window near the front door. ‘Did you read and have answers to the questions on the mat?’. No? Goodbye. NOW! Get off of my feckin’ property.

agree.gif stirthepot.gif
KELTY360
I'm not interested in logic....I just want justice.
wonkipop
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 1 2023, 06:26 PM) *

I'm not interested in logic....I just want justice.

justice in the face of logic. biggrin.gif
with a nod to unladen swallows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YFxuKrJBI
vitamin914
@wonkipop

Keep that clay-bar handy for your HP-41c.

NASA used this calculator as a back up to land the Space Shuttle if the onboard computers ever failed... They have one as an item in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objec...sm_A19890003000

You never know... a used Space Shuttle may show up on BAT with carbs instead of the original liquid hydrogen fuel injectors... You could use the HP-41c if the onboard ECM is fried.

I think that brings this thread full circle... happy11.gif
JamesM
Thoughts?

I have seen far more questionable things posted on BAT.

I suspect the 63k is on a rolled over odometer.

Missing the lower targa seal and a few of the other seals are shot.

Trunks are surprisingly clean.

Spare wheel doesn't match.

Hood badge shouldn't be there at all

The Bilsteins are fairly new.

Curious it has Utah plates but i have never seen that one around.

I hate carbs and wont have them on a car myself, but I think that quote attributed to PMB in this case was probably good advise, just drive it and enjoy it. I personally would reinstall the FI but thats only because i have been working with d-jet for 25 years and have the spare parts, and know how to do it, and maybe more importantly the tools to properly rebuild that MPS. While PMB could do this they are well aware of what a PITA it can be and the issues with 50 year old injections systems. Carbs suck but getting the FI back on could also prove an ongoing headache, so just drive it!

Seems like a decent buy at 23k, though not sure i would personally buy it without a better look at the hell hole first. I have recently come to terms with the fact that all the cars that look good on the outside still need the same metal work as the ugly ones once you strip off all the paint, its just hiding better. This one, probably a decent driver as is as long as you ignore all the little things.

wonkipop
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ May 2 2023, 05:59 AM) *

@wonkipop

Keep that clay-bar handy for your HP-41c.

NASA used this calculator as a back up to land the Space Shuttle if the onboard computers ever failed... They have one as an item in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objec...sm_A19890003000

You never know... a used Space Shuttle may show up on BAT with carbs instead of the original liquid hydrogen fuel injectors... You could use the HP-41c if the onboard ECM is fried.

I think that brings this thread full circle... happy11.gif

it does indeed @vitamin914
when i was a little boy i wanted to be an astronaut.
instead i ended up bound by gravity as an architect. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.