Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mad Dog / Engman longitudinal kit question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Some really good weather in the workshop this weekend.
Mid 80s no rain.
Sadly just had a 70 year old Oak tree come out so no shade either. But, better now than when hurricane season comes back around.

Click to view attachment

Got a very good start on the Mad Dog / Engman stiffening kit installation.
In the other threads I’ve read showing this installation it shows that the rear piece and the side pieces come together in the corners and get welded together. Mine did not do this due to the fit up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My question to the brain trust is do they need to?
Option one is to leave as-is once all the welding is completed.
Option two is to add in a plate that bridges the gap and ties those sections together in the corners. Does this matter?

Thank you!

P.S.- I know I’m a shite welder. Still learning. Don’t judge.
Or, judge and tell me how to improve.

windforfun
I would say you're good to go with what you've done once you finish. Go ahead & add more structural rigidity if that will help you sleep better. Once you clean up the welds, jack up the car in the rear & see how well the doors close. There should be no geometrical flexing of any kind. You might want to put two kegs of beer in the car beforehand. I see the car is already lifted & I assume the doors close just fine with what you've already done.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
I did a few 1 inch beads on the corners. Installed 4 of these kits now. Love them, make a big difference to the chassis.

Superhawk996
The chassis will have better torsional stiffness if they are tied together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.