Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake lights stuck on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
This is pretty much an update to the problems which I explained in this thread.

Basically now the only electrical problem the car seems to have is the brake lights are stuck on all the time. I do not believe it has to do with the switch because one light is much brighter than the other and sometimes some of the other lights have a very light glow to them as well. This happens when all the lights should be off.. just the ignition turned on.

I used a contact cleaner to clean up the contacts on the light bulbs and connections in the rear and it didn't seem to do anything.

It is extremely frustrating for me especially because I do not know much about electrical systems in cars. headbang.gif

The car seems to be nice and dry now. Any more suggestions?

Thanks
ArtechnikA
did you look at the switch?
#1RAGE
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 13 2005, 01:24 PM)
did you look at the switch?

Where exactly is the switch? Or which page in the Hayne's manual is it on?
ArtechnikA
it is beneath the pedal board, on a bracket. the brake pedal turns the lights OFF; IOW - if the bracket is loose or the switch falls off or the arm gets bent, the lights will remain on.

p129 of the Haynes.
#1RAGE
Yeah ok... that was it! smilie_pokal.gif Thank you! beerchug.gif

Well I still have a contact problem with one of the brake lights. I'll try clean it up some more but it looks really corroded compared to the other sockets. I might need to replace the whole thing.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP nearly $500 for one rear light assembly!!!!!!!!
northern chris
I had a similar problem, but first I'll ask a simple question. If you pull up on the pedal will the brake light go off? If so its likely the brake cluster bushings or spring. I had sticky bushings in my pedal cluster and the spring was not strong enough to bring the brake pedal back enough to open the contact for the brake switch. Note: you can adjust the brake cylinder rod to have the contact switch open sooner (not a nice job - I'd take off the steering wheel to do this), but it may not allow your brake cyclinder to totally relieve its pressure and cause intermittent "stuck on" brake problems - learner from personal experience. If you have never rebuild your pedal cluster I would recommend doing it. I found it easy to do myself.
plas76targa
I had the same problem and fixed it by cleaning all the lights sockets and adjusting the switch. One tool I used for cleaning the light sockets etc, was a battery terminal brush. it fit inside those light recepticles just right, a few turns and all was clean. A short shot of WD40 and finish with a clean cloth to wipe up the residue.

Glad I read this post, the lights occasionally stick and I pull up on the brake pedal. Never thought about the pedal cluster. So, pedal cluster update is now on the to do list.
rhodyguy
the switch arm goes on the BACK (drivers) side of the disc on the acutator rod (fig. 9.24)a common mistake. haynes does make mention of the adj value. section 30 on the bottom of page 129.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.