Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone running this intake ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VolksSled
poke.gif
Hi
New member here with a new to me bad ass
914 ( big /4) with webbers

I just bought the tangerine throttle linkage
To replace the home made linkage that was on there and did work well for a while

I know that if it’s from tangerine it should be quality

But I also ordered this induction from Germany

Anyone have this ? beer3.gif
And will it clear the tangerine throttle linkage ???

https://www.thoro-tec.de/en/p/air-intake-sy...14-bulli-beetle

( & before I forget ) shout out to the cheap sob pray.gif wub.gif

Who I’m sure would be turning in his grave knowing I spent 999 euros on a intake ������
VolksSled
Uninstalled
VolksSled
r_towle
1) change your name, its stupid and its 2023
2) stop advertising here.
VolksSled
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2023, 10:03 AM) *

Don’t know how to change it
And I’m not a advertiser or salesman
Hate those guys
VolksSled
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2023, 10:03 AM) *

Chiming in about things other then
The thread also = stupid
rhodyguy
Note the center pull linkage. Perhaps that’s what it takes.
BillJ
So assuming you are just new and all...

I have not seen anyone post that as installed although i am.aware of and have bought thinggs from them. Will be interesting to see your impressions and please share.

Also please do find out how to edit your name. It is offensive generally.
rhodyguy
Most CASoB 914 owners don’t like dropping over 1k on airfilters that look kinda cool. I wonder how the conical filter flow compares to a set of plain paper filters for dual carbs. Is the filter pictured a ‘tosser’ or a ‘cleaner’ when it gets fouled? If a tosser, what is the replacement cost?
VolksSled
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 3 2023, 10:35 AM) *

Most CASoB 914 owners don’t like dropping over 1k on airfilters that look kinda cool. I wonder how the conical filter flow compares to a set of plain paper filters for dual carbs. Is the filter pictured a ‘tosser’ or a ‘cleaner’ when it gets fouled? If a tosser, what is the replacement cost?

I’m sure it’s a tosser
VolksSled
QUOTE(Nazisled @ May 3 2023, 10:47 AM) *

I’m sure it’s a tosser

And I’m sure this is quieter then just air clearers on the carbs
NARP74
I don't see how this intake can be any better than the std over the carb type? Unless it is just for the cool factor. Got any tests proving air flow?

+1 vote for change your name
JamesM
QUOTE(Nazisled @ May 3 2023, 07:48 AM) *

I’m sure it’s a tosser

1. Assuming its just the filter assembly it should work fine with the linkage, only issues you might have with the linkage are going to be around what throttle bodies are used.

2. If you really want to drop a lot of money on a cool/central air filter for a dual carb/TB setup I think these are the way to go

https://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Type-4---Porsc...d-Dellorto.html
Click to view attachment

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/air-boxe...ache=1683132184
Click to view attachment
sportlicherFahrer
The intake system appears to be well above where the cable system attaches and routes. Unlikely that the intake and linkage will interfere while using Weber carbs.

In regards to the filter, you could easily measure the one that comes with the kit and peruse the K&N catalog to find a washable replacement. https://www.knfilters.com/dimsearch

As for your username, a private message to one of the admins ( @ClayPerrine and @SirAndy are currently online) can get that sorted. Clicking on one of their names will link you to the respective user profile. Communication options should be on the right side of your browser on the profile page. Current name is definitely not going to make many friends here....
VolksSled
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 3 2023, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Nazisled @ May 3 2023, 07:48 AM) *

I’m sure it’s a tosser

1. Assuming its just the filter assembly it should work fine with the linkage, only issues you might have with the linkage are going to be around what throttle bodies are used.

2. If you really want to drop a lot of money on a cool/central air filter for a dual carb/TB setup I think these are the way to go

https://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Type-4---Porsc...d-Dellorto.html
Click to view attachment

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/air-boxe...ache=1683132184
Click to view attachment

I saw these before I pulled the trigger

I’m just not a fan of the look
and it costing even more
JamesM
QUOTE(VolksSled @ May 3 2023, 10:00 AM) *

I saw these before I pulled the trigger

I’m just not a fan of the look
and it costing even more

To me i think the main advantages of a shared airbox/filter would be

1. To keep water out of your air filters/carbs and
2. Reduce intake noise

I dont really see that cone filter setup doing either of these, or anything other than significantly lightening your pocketbook. If anything if you have that cone pointed forward its just going to redirect the intake noise right at your head.

and 1100 bucks for 3 3d printed pieces, a cone filter, and 2 silicone hoses seems like... a lot

Price of the CSP unit appears to be the same (possibly less depending on current exchange rates)
VaccaRabite
I just don't understand how that is a $999 euro part, and it blocks access to the oil filler. Also one cone filter has less dust catching surface then 2 carb mounted air cleaners - meaning that you are getting less airflow especially when the filter starts collecting dirt.

The big reason folks try to tie the throttle bodies together is to abate intake noise, but the cone filter pointed at the cabin is going to negate that too.

So, aside from it looking kinda cool - what does it get you?

Zach
NARP74
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 3 2023, 12:43 PM) *

I just don't understand how that is a $999 euro part, and it blocks access to the oil filler. Also one cone filter has less dust catching surface then 2 carb mounted air cleaners - meaning that you are getting less airflow especially when the filter starts collecting dirt.

The big reason folks try to tie the throttle bodies together is to abate intake noise, but the cone filter pointed at the cabin is going to negate that too.

So, aside from it looking kinda cool - what does it get you?

Zach

This
rhodyguy
I never found the carb sound obnoxious. Goes with the territory. Not much dif, IMHO, compared to stock FI unless your foot is into it and at a higher RPM than a 3k freeway cruise.
brubou
why is his name offensive?
rjames
QUOTE(brubou @ May 3 2023, 01:57 PM) *

Admins changed it, so you're seeing the 'renamed' handle.
NARP74
With this air intake near the cooling fan intake, is there competition for air?
VolksSled
I guess we’re not gonna find out
Supplier said they could not guarantee shipping to my apartment

So I got some k and n filters for 119 bucks instead smoke.gif stirthepot.gif
rhodyguy
Buy bigger containers of the cleaner and oil for the filters. Wash the filters the day before you need them. The filters should be pinkish not blackish.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(brubou @ May 3 2023, 01:57 PM) *

Look carefully at the posts where he is quoted to see his original user name.

--DD
sechszylinder
I guess that this air cleaner ist somewhat useless and restricts the air flow compared to the original ones.
I‘m from germany and usually have a good overview of the companies here which deal with 914 related stuff.
They seem to be be very new in business, but when looking at the other offered items i‘m not really convinced about the usefullness of their products.

br

benno
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2023, 09:37 PM) *

This is brilliant. This is what we need.

I question if the stock horn has enough opening to feed it, but thats a fixable issue if its an issue at all.

Zach
VolksSled
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ May 7 2023, 03:29 AM) *

I guess that this air cleaner ist somewhat useless and restricts the air flow compared to the original ones.
I‘m from germany and usually have a good overview of the companies here which deal with 914 related stuff.
They seem to be be very new in business, but when looking at the other offered items i‘m not really convinced about the usefullness of their products.

br

benno

They have enthusiasm about 914 s that was enough for me wub.gif
But just too far away to ship or possibly have to ship back if needed
So I’ll let someone else be the Ginny pig

they may not be as cool ! But
Regular carb filters are more efficient and lighter
So that’s the cake
bbrock
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 8 2023, 09:23 AM) *

This is brilliant. This is what we need.

I question if the stock horn has enough opening to feed it, but thats a fixable issue if its an issue at all.

Zach

My engine is stock other than the mild carb cam and intake seems to be more than adequate, but like you said, could easily be configured any way you like. I was told that someone measured air temps around the engine bay several years ago and if I'd have just run the horn straight out to the left side, it would probably suck colder air than up by the cooling fan that required the fancy bend.

I keep thinking that a person could 3D print the housings, intakes and whatever horn config is preferred and have a plug and play retrofit kit for old bus air boxes. The mounting bracket would also need to be manufactured.

The configuration shown in the video did wind up interfering with rain tray so I wound up having to chop the bracket down and mod the intakes a little to make it fit. Still looks and works the same, just sits a couple inches lower in the bay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.