Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting old
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Steve
QUOTE(sixaddict @ May 7 2023, 07:46 AM) *

So I’m seeing a shrinking market for these cars and parts ………as George Jones sings..,”who’s going to fill those shoes”……
Friends keep saying all the guys that did “that” (work on the 914) are retired or worse!
Uplifting thread dry.gif

I was thinking the same thing reading this thread. It’s like driving a model T compared to a modern appliance. I jump in my Toyota G86 for errands and only drive the 914 to cars & coffee and 914 events.
930cabman
QUOTE(914Toy @ May 7 2023, 09:08 AM) *

One of Winston Churchill's other comments was "when ever I feel like exercising, i lay down until it passes" biggrin.gif

Speaking of Sir Winston, today is V-E day

They don't make them like him anymore, simply a great man in many ways
Dr Evil
As a practicing Family Medicine physician, I see these issues daily and work with my patients to improve AND prolong life. It helps that it’s just me, no staff, no admin overlords. Typical visits are an hour and we get into issues to better understand and work on interventions. I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

I used to feel that the statement, “you are only as old as you feel” was a good one. Then 41 hit and I went from indestructible to having cardiac issues for the last 5 yrs. Picture is 12/8/22 after some valve work in my heart due to an opportunistic infection that destroyed two out of four valves and damn near killed me as I ignored the symptoms and continued to work…until I couldn’t . I envy the senior members that don’t have major problems, or have them later in life when the stats support their occurrence. The support here for older owners is inspiring and why this group is such a valuable resource. Any of you near me and need help, let me know. I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…
snakemain
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 5 2023, 05:19 PM) *

I inherited my Dad's shaky hands (probably a sign of something bigger). When my arms start to get tired, my hands will shake when trying do delicate work. I can still swing an axe with surety and strength, but if I try to start a small screw or nut, I often drop it. I first noticed it in my early 30's and thought "My Dad's hands do the same". 20 years later, still brushing it off.

Sucks after a day of yard work, beat to the bone, go to grab a cool brew at dinner and everyone thinks I have a drinking problem because the glass is shaking. Oh well.

beerchug.gif

I do the same exact thing! Mow and weedeat, and I can't hold a thing without shaking enough to spill it. Try to hold a plastic cup full of beer and I will crush it as I strain to hold it steady. Some days just trying to get a pill out of a bottle is a challenge without dumping the whole bottle.
technicalninja
I purchased a Bend-Pac XPR-10A-LP 7 years ago and it has been a life saver...

7 years down the road I'm a bit older and less agile and I'm finding just getting down on the floor to set the lift legs is NOW a PIA.

The down is easy, getting back up is where I'm having trouble.

Once you have one of these you can never go back...

This means you HAVE to have a shop with at least 12' 6" ceiling height.

You need 6" rebar reinforced floor.

Got to have 220 service.

Moving and installing these is a trick as well.

I checked out 5 companies that install lifts.

Not a one used floor stud epoxy and I ended up installing myself as I could not find anyone I trusted.

Not all that hard except when your hammer drill hits a piece of re-bar, sticks, and the tool head tries to beat you to death...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif

My hero. Currently trying to find a direct care primary . . . It’s not easy. Way too many bought into the insurance and Medicare model.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…

Good on ya Doc. Sounds like you’ve got a handle on the recovery process from the other side of the stethoscope. I appreciate your VA service. We need your expertise and appreciation of veteran’s issues.

From one grateful vet to another.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2023, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif

My hero. Currently trying to find a direct care primary . . . It’s not easy. Way too many bought into the insurance and Medicare model.

Here you go. They are not all in there, but there are many of them.
https://mapper.dpcfrontier.com/

Insurance is an evil endeavor that profits off of the suffering of patients and physicians. I havent taken it since 2016 via working for the govt or myself.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 7 2023, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…

Good on ya Doc. Sounds like you’ve got a handle on the recovery process from the other side of the stethoscope. I appreciate your VA service. We need your expertise and appreciation of veteran’s issues.

From one grateful vet to another.

I absolutely hate being a patient. I do put my money where my mouth is and get my care through the VA. The current one I work at needs lots and lots of help.
rhodyguy
You know you’re getting old when the first TURP is overcome by your BPH and it’s time for another one 10 years down the road. When the tissue sampling for C comes back neg it’s a relief.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(sixaddict @ May 7 2023, 07:46 AM) *

So I’m seeing a shrinking market for these cars and parts ………as George Jones sings..,”who’s going to fill those shoes”……
Friends keep saying all the guys that did “that” (work on the 914) are retired or worse!
Uplifting thread dry.gif

Escalating prices on BAT say otherwise w00t.gif
cali914
Two hip replacements words to the wise keep moving dont pound the pavement, and cross train as much as you can. oops almost forgot music can add an extra mile in the tank.
KSCarrera
Hmmm, interesting discussion. I'm 69 in July, had a stent fitted when 62 after getting angina symptoms. Dad passed away at 69 with a heart attack, mum at 77 with an aneurism that burst. She also had Type 2 diabetes. I was warned of being pre-diabetic three years ago, and have controlled it with dietary changes (low-carb, mainly). My BMI is 22 (5ft 6in, 138lbs). Enlarged prostate, but with consistently low PSA levels...

Medication: Bisoprolol for blood pressure, dispersible aspirin for the same, Tamsolusin (an alpha blocker) for prostate, and statins. Worst of the lot is the Bisoprolol as it makes me feel tired, but I can live with that.

Interesting fact: the doctor who came up with the idea for stents, Julio Palmaz, is a well-known Porsche collector...and owns a vineyard. A man of taste!
burton73
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 5 2023, 08:16 PM) *

74 and counting, I think. Two oral surgeries in the last year have robbed me of strength and balance. Last week I went to raise the pop top on my Westy and couldn’t lift it…sucks. Worst part of getting old is the amount of time spent talking about maladies with other geezers.

. "Worst part of getting old is the amount of time spent talking about maladies with other geezers."

And I thought it was just me.

Bob B. 70

w00t.gif
gandalf_025
Turning 69 this year..

So far, never had a surgery or spent the night in a Hospital.
Managed to break a few fingers and cracked a rib or 2
when younger and now have essential tremor but that is about it..

Most of my friends have had hip, shoulder and knee replacements.
2 have had kidney transplants and one a heart transplant.

My dad died of a heart attack at 50 and my mother had a coronary
at 47 but survived it and lived to 77..

Most of my friends with health issues played sports at school when young
and beat the hell out of themselves then.
I sucked at Sports and had no interest.. Maybe that helped.??

Also, working in a Computer Room most of my career didn't hurt..

I just lack ambition to work on my car..
StratPlayer
Will be turning 77 on wed. still enjoy working on th car
Amphicar770
QUOTE(sixaddict @ May 7 2023, 09:46 AM) *

Uplifting thread dry.gif

Time moves on. New cars become used, then collectible drivers, then museum pieces. I recall when I was young the Model A guys, then the 50s car guys, lamenting that nobody seemed interested in those any longer.

Kids do not grow up working on cars any more. Fixing a modern Porsche is as much computer diagnostics and coding as it is mechanical. Likewise, the price of entry has gotten far too high. 40+ years ago a blue collar worker, even a high school kid with a job, could pick up a downtrodden, drivable, special interest car and restore it over time. There were lots of pick and pull lots to find parts. Those days are gone.

Like them or not, EVs will continue to gain market share and in 20 years or less will represent the bulk of cars sold. The tools and skills to maintain old cars will become as common as those used to maintain steam trains. Old cars will be rich men's toys stored in their climate controlled, warehouse sized garages (as is already happening).

Ironically, I was just saying to a friend the other day that working on cars used to be a fun hobby for me. As I get older, it increasingly feels like work. I did buy my own EV (Polestar 2 with Performance pack). Not only is it blazing fast, but maintenance is essentially wiper blades and tires. I am keeping the 914, the rest of the old cars are moving out of my garage. James May was right after all.
r_towle
Agree on the next stage going to EV
I’m not quite there yet, but soon
Still hybrid
930cabman
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 8 2023, 01:41 PM) *

Will be turning 77 on wed. still enjoy working on th car

+1, who says you need to grow up piratenanner.gif
SKL1
Just turned 74 on cinco de mayo (always wondered when younger why the Mexican restaurants were so busy on my birthday!) and have grown older with my 914, which I got when I was 21... still work on all toys a fair amount, but must admit laying under the dash and getting back up, etc has gotten harder!
But they'll have to pull me away from the cars kicking and screaming when the time comes...
Here I am on my birthday at the Miami Grand Prix (in the AMG Petronas hospitality suite with Bobby Rahal!)Click to view attachment
mate914
He was a great man who saved many lives. A few years after the war we was removed from office and condemned be his fellow county men.... Any one know why?....

Matt

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 7 2023, 11:53 AM) *

One of Winston Churchill's other comments was "when ever I feel like exercising, i lay down until it passes" biggrin.gif

sixaddict
Hey even Rahal’s older! biggrin.gif
I think most of us believe in…….. might be getting older but no one said you have to grow up.

KSCarrera
QUOTE(mate914 @ May 9 2023, 11:04 AM) *

He was a great man who saved many lives. A few years after the war we was removed from office and condemned be his fellow county men.... Any one know why?....

Matt

It was largely because the voters were demanding reform after the war, but Churchill's mind was perceived to be elsewhere, with the labour Party seen as the party that would lead the country to prosperity. However, he was voted back in at the next election in 1951 and served until 1955 as PM...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ May 9 2023, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ May 9 2023, 11:04 AM) *

Matt

It was largely because the voters were demanding reform after the war, but Churchill's mind was perceived to be elsewhere, with the labour Party seen as the party that would lead the country to prosperity. However, he was voted back in at the next election in 1951 and served until 1955 as PM...

I know Churchill is a "historic" figure, but he is still a political figure. And to some in the UK, he could be polarizing. So let's just leave this one alone.. OK?
relentless
@67 I have four 914's and can't drive, much less work on them. That's a tough pill to swallow, so let me just add this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVjToYOjbM

Yes, we're going to the end of the line!
KELTY360
QUOTE(relentless @ May 9 2023, 11:41 AM) *

@67 I have four 914's and can't drive, much less work on them. That's a tough pill to swallow, so let me just add this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVjToYOjbM

Yes, we're going to the end of the line!

Thanks so much for that. Sent me on a trip down memory lane.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.