Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sachs Pressure plate ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ogdougy
So im getting ready to put my trans to the motor and put it into the car. Im about to bolt on my pressure plate to the flywheel and it just doesn't fit right. Just barely doesn't fit into the recess of the flywheel.

Now im just making sure i dont got chasing my tail. I got the flywheel with the AA stroker kit and I was sent the wrong flywheel (200mm when it was supposed to be 215mm). I received the 215mm replacement.

Now the OEM Sachs pressure plate part number I have is SACHS 3082 183 331. Looking at some stores they have the SACHS 3082 220 231.

Googling both those numbers give me a "fits Porsche 914". Just trying to figure out if its the damn flywheel or pressure plate.

Any help would be appreciated. Just want to drive my car again. Insurance bill came to remind me that I haven't drove it in a year lol
Dave_Darling
Are you sure it's one of those two parts that's fouling? Did anything else make its way in there? Is the clutch throwout lever and bearing OK? Are the splines on the input shaft mating correctly with the splines on the clutch disk?

--DD
ogdougy
Im talking about just bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel. It doesn't line up or fit in the flywheel.

So i either have the wrong flywheel again or wrong pressure plate. Only thing that has a part number is the pressure plate so going to try and rule that one out

stownsen914
I just checked the Pelican Parts listing for a 914 clutch and their pic shows 3082 183 331, for whatever that's worth. I've heard that there are different versions of VW type 4 flywheels, and that only the 914 version fits a 914 properly. I thought it was a depth thing, but perhaps there is more to it?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9011...mp;KeepHeader=Y
davep
Does the little needle bearing fit in the flywheel? If so, it should be 914 flywheel.
ogdougy
Thanks for all the help. Helped me realize that im not insane. Im just a victim of bad QC for the second time on this motor. Which is the worst luck i have had ever building a motor

I think the flywheel just wasn't machined all the way.

Everything fits properly. Needle bearing fit correctly. Pressed it in 0.125 deep to leave room for the felt washer.
IPB Image

But when it comes time to add the pressure plate. It sits proud by what you see in the picture.
IPB Image

Just going to take it to a machine shop and have them lathe it down to fit.
DBF
Got the same issue with my flywheel. New pressure plate and clutch fit old flywheel, and actually all the new parts fits together except the pressure plate to flywheel. The shop that sold me the clutch kit claimed all were good NOS "German built" components, and most were in Sach boxes. Let us know how it goes.
914Sixer
I have a QSC flywheel and a Sach's clutch kit. Now going to have to see IF I am going to be in the same boat. Been setting on parts for over a year, no returns. Could be interesting.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(ogdougy @ May 7 2023, 12:16 PM) *

But when it comes time to add the pressure plate. It sits proud by what you see in the picture.
IPB Image

Just going to take it to a machine shop and have them lathe it down to fit.

Just wanted to ask to make sure, it's sitting proud this much without the clutch disk, just the pressure plate sitting against the flywheel?

Dan
ogdougy
So to put a cap on this. I went and bought a new QSC flywheel. I either got a completely wrong one or the finish machining was outright wrong.

Right before it was going to take it to a machine shop I realized that even if i get it machine for clearance none of the bolt holes will line up. Into the fuck-it bucket it went.

All is good now, trans attached, and motor is in the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.