Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Mount Restoration (with pics)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
friethmiller
After removing the engine mount from my passenger side (hell hole), I decided it might be fun, as a side project, to try and restore instead of replace this item. Not sure if anyone else has ever tried this (I'm sure they have) but I'm thinking... why not. Famous last words! So, here we go....

View of the engine mount pulled out of my very rusted out '74 LE. Note the rust (red arrow) on the back.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Beginning the process of drilling out the many spot welds around this two-piece, 14 gauge metal part.
Click to view attachment
friethmiller
After a bit of drilling, I was finally able to remove the two pieces. These went into a rust removing bath before each piece was individual restored.

Click to view attachment

Here's the bottom piece with the three facets replaced. I actually used POR-15 in this area before the later reassembly.
Click to view attachment

Removal of the rusted metal from the top part of the second piece.
Click to view attachment
friethmiller
After cutting the new 14 gauge sheet metal, measurements where made and a metal brake was used to create the three simple 90 degree bends.

Click to view attachment

Here's the part welded on. Note the rust holes on the other section.
Click to view attachment

The bottom section with the metal replaced and welded in.
Click to view attachment
friethmiller
Final welds for the filter mount and clean up before final assembly.
Click to view attachment

Joining the two pieces. This process was simple but took a lot of time. Had to keep the heat down, especially in the front section that you see here.
Click to view attachment
friethmiller
Final View with rust preventive paint and weld-thru primer. Not too bad for an amateur. This thing is now rock solid!!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Van B
While I think you did a great job, you have also confirmed that I would choose replacement lol
930cabman
Looks great, want to do a couple for me?

Keep up the good work
Root_Werks
Turned out nice! smash.gif
friethmiller
QUOTE(Van B @ May 8 2023, 01:40 PM) *

While I think you did a great job, you have also confirmed that I would choose replacement lol

Van, you made me laugh! lol-2.gif Agree, I think "replacement" IS the better option here but I wanted to see how it would go. This was just a little distraction from my massive Hell Hole reconstruction project that is on-going. Plus, I found the absolute limit for my metal brake. With 14 gauge sheet metal, I felt like I was going to rip the brake out of the work bench it's mounted on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.