Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with Gearbox Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tonybolony
so today i got onto the gearbox , its a 1972 car and a tailshift box , the issue i have is i cant get 4/5 gears, and its not keen on giving 1st or reverse but i can get them, originally i know people say open the inspection cover and adjust the shaft , i tried this but noticed that my problem is the selector on the tailshift at the back actually doesnt want to go all the wall out for 4/5 even with persuasion at the tail shift end
914Sixer
How are your bushings? Bushing under shifter, ball at firewall and at tailshift?
tonybolony
there all good , like i say if i operate the gears from the tailshift end i actually cant get the selector shaft to come out enough for gears 4/5
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Hello. Mine is also a 72' and if all bushings are new, I will do my best to convey how it adjusts at the tail. First pardon the mess, shes been sitting. On the bracket that holds the last bushing at the tail of the transmission in place, there are two bolts that hold it on. The holes in the bracket for these fasteners are oblong. That allows you to adjust the end of the shifter rod in its cage. This picture (messy as it is) shows my adjustment on a fully shifting trans. If you can loosten (but leave snug) the two fasteners and eyeball your rod end to match this one, you'll be close. Arrow shows which way to move bracket to reach 4-5. Good luck
tonybolony
thankyou for this
rhodyguy
Vague gear selection and hard to catch all gears? The triple rolled pin that lives above the access plate on the bottom of the trans could be the issue. Order a couple of pins and new access plate gaskets. Note the orientation of the internal components. First time I put it together incorrectly. Take apart and redo. Glad I ordered 2 pins.
Mikey914
There is adjustment in the tunnel where the shifter rod connects to the one that comes through the firewall. Id look there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.