Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best place for Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tonybolony
hey guys , so my 914 2.0 is fitted with a pair of Twin 40 Webbers , and i was wondering where the best place is to put the fuel pump , the pump is currently located under the car behind the passenger seat, however i notice that the fuel filter doesnt fill up totally and the car does get starved , so my question is , is this pump in the wrong place ? or is the pump just not good enough , its and Edelbrock Micro Fuel Pump
tonybolony
well am going to order another pump to try first then in the same position as the last pump
technicalninja
Most fuel pumps pump fuel better than they suck fuel.

All makes moved pumps closer to the tank and then into the tank over the years.

Even on the 914 the last pump set ups were below the tank.

Vapor lock is far less likely to happen to fuel under pressure vs fuel under vacuum.

My vote is for below the tank unless originality is critical.

If you already have the pump just replacing it may solve your problem.

Lots of "pump at engine" set ups ran for years without issues.

Adding low pressure transfer pumps was a common modification, however.

I once solved a vapor lock problem on a Dodge van by re-routing the steel feed line outside the frame rail and away from the exhaust.
This was a PIA that I'd do differently now.

I'd just stick a pump at the tank today...
nditiz1
I have this on my 6 conversion with PMO carbs. I think it is best in the biz for any car with carbs.

cb performance pump

Mine is located in the frunk. Might want to move your current one first before buying another. Do you have a gauge on it to see the pressure struggling to stay ~3 psi?
IanK
As others have said, up near the tank if not in the tank is best. Pushing vs pulling works better.
Geezer914
Rock auto Delphi pump!
SirAndy
Since you have carbs, make sure you get a rotary pump.

Your ears will thank me ...
popcorn[1].gif
914werke
Click to view attachment
tonybolony
thanks for the info , the pump was at fault and a new one has cured my problem , i will look into putting it hearer the tank in the future, as for Fuel pressure mine is ar 2 psi in the webber 40's do you recommend higher ?

also added a 123 ignition , great bit of kit and now makes my car immobilised too at the ignition which is a nice touch, anybody else use one ? and have any recommended map curves ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
any isolated 3 lb pump is good enough
QUOTE(tonybolony @ May 22 2023, 01:19 PM) *

hey guys , so my 914 2.0 is fitted with a pair of Twin 40 Webbers , and i was wondering where the best place is to put the fuel pump , the pump is currently located under the car behind the passenger seat, however i notice that the fuel filter doesnt fill up totally and the car does get starved , so my question is , is this pump in the wrong place ? or is the pump just not good enough , its and Edelbrock Micro Fuel Pump

930cabman
QUOTE(tonybolony @ May 24 2023, 08:59 AM) *

thanks for the info , the pump was at fault and a new one has cured my problem , i will look into putting it hearer the tank in the future, as for Fuel pressure mine is ar 2 psi in the webber 40's do you recommend higher ?

also added a 123 ignition , great bit of kit and now makes my car immobilised too at the ignition which is a nice touch, anybody else use one ? and have any recommended map curves ?

I have run twin Webers on several different sporting machines and always keep the fuel pressure below 2 psi. Never have starved the float bowls.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914werke @ May 23 2023, 04:47 PM) *

Rich that is the cleanest front pump retro install I have ever seen. Kudos.

Ever consider putting together a kit for that?
914werke
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 24 2023, 01:43 PM) *
Rich that is the cleanest front pump retro install I have ever seen. Kudos.
Ever consider putting together a kit for that?

Jeff, Ive been using this clamp setup for sometime, The downside is I do have to trim/grind down the area with the red arrow to allow the shield to fit properly.
Ive got a bracket that is in the works that will make the fit even better & more like what you would expect OE.
A kit is already planned smile.gif
Geezer914
That is a clean set up. I want to move my pump under the steering rack so it is easier to change the fuel filter with out spilling fuel in the front trunk.
North Coast Jim
I relocated up front under the gravel shield adjacent to the steering rack. Makes changing the fuel filter much easier. Didn't want the pump in a closed compartment like the frunk.

Just make sure the fuel line routing doesn't interfere with the steering components.

Here's a pic as I just pulled all this out with the gas tank to add in a sway bar.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Why is it now easier to change the filter?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.