Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 1970 early ignition switch assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
GApilot
Hi, looking for the an early ignition switch assembly for a 1970, ideally with a key. These are different than the later switch assemblies. Thanks for reading.
TheCabinetmaker
They are very scarce, but I think I have a couple. Pm coming.
914sgofast2
Have you looked at a 1970 VW Bug? I think they are the same. The turn signal mechanisms are the same.
cgnj
I'm parting a 70 ATM in Philadelphia 19124. Sent you a pm.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ May 27 2023, 10:04 AM) *

Have you looked at a 1970 VW Bug? I think they are the same. The turn signal mechanisms are the same.

They are the same housing, but the lock cylinder inside is exclusive to the 914.
theer
I might have one from a ‘70 I parted out years ago. What makes the early cylinder different?
cgnj
The frustration involved in removal and replacement of the ignition switch. I just did this. I'll post pics later to show how frustrating it can be.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(theer @ Jun 1 2023, 09:32 PM) *

I might have one from a ‘70 I parted out years ago. What makes the early cylinder different?

The early switches for the 1970 model have a wiring pigtail harness soldered to the part of the ignition switch fastened to the lock cylinder. That ignition wiring pigtail has to fished thru a narrow passage in the upper steering column, and then to a connector hidden behind the dash board.

On the later model cars the electrical part of the ignition switch has just several spade wiring connectors on it with the separate wiring harness already in the steering column, so you just have to connect a set of spade connectors to the rear of the switch. There is no need to fish a bunch of wires thru a passage in the column and into back of the dash board to a large connector hidden behind the dash board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.