Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this supposed to be open?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteinjp
And if so why?

Click to view attachment

Pete
914werke
Yes. Access to the fuel tank fittings.
Although there is also supposed to be a some trim protecting that edge that is messing.
technicalninja
WOW!
That is a beautiful under carriage!

Wonder if the tops as nice as the bottom is?

windforfun
What's the "T" for? My car has only two hoses & four clamps.

r_towle
You are missing the bottom pan that covers that whole area
bkrantz
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 31 2023, 08:35 PM) *

You are missing the bottom pan that covers that whole area

Yup.
peteinjp
Thanks guys. I have the bottom cover- just removed it to pull the pedal box and do some rust proofing.

Even with the bottom cover though its obviously a place where water can get in. I'm embarking on rust proofing project. Does this area rust from water ingress from not being covered? I'm thinking of printing a cover for it after I wax the inside.

Pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(peteinjp @ May 31 2023, 08:39 PM) *

Thanks guys. I have the bottom cover- just removed it to pull the pedal box and do some rust proofing.

Even with the bottom cover though its obviously a place where water can get in. I'm embarking on rust proofing project. Does this area rust from water ingress from not being covered? I'm thinking of printing a cover for it after I wax the inside.

Next to the smaller drain tube in your picture, you'll notice a drain opening stamped into the metal which is supposed to drain any water that might get in there.
shades.gif
second wind
OMG what a great post....thank you very much!! My car was leaking gas so badly from the inferior rubber fuel lines I installed when I put my SS tunnel lines in that for the last 8 weeks I have been installing the correct R 30 9 fuel lines......so I have been looking at your picture the entire time and moved all of the connection to below the frame window.....so far it is working but what a difficult chore....nice to have someone in my same situation and working through it....I will prevail and so will you!!
gg
r_towle
It’s an important easy access entrance for small homeless rodents.
From there they can access the paper heater tubes to allow them warm and cozy winter dwelling in the interior.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2023, 08:48 AM) *

From there they can access the paper heater tubes to allow them warm and cozy winter dwelling in the interior.

agree.gif

Would be cool if someone made a rubber or plastic plug for the hole.
JamesM
QUOTE(windforfun @ May 31 2023, 06:29 PM) *

What's the "T" for? My car has only two hoses & four clamps.

Most likely 3 port pump relocated under the trunk
JamesM
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 1 2023, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2023, 08:48 AM) *

agree.gif

Would be cool if someone made a rubber or plastic plug for the hole.

Seems like a pretty easy piece to 3d print
windforfun
What's hanging out of your drainage slot?
sixnotfour
4 inch Soffit Vent Screen... Easy, Keep rodents out...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2724414

r_towle
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 1 2023, 07:19 PM) *

Kind of a personal question.
windforfun
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2023, 07:11 PM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

That's what she said.
peteinjp
oh man…..

Anyway- there was a little m4 bolt hangin out of of the drain….

Thanks all- when I get the filament dried I’ll print up a little cover and post it.

Pete
930cabman
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 1 2023, 05:22 PM) *

+1, cheap, simple, easy

thanks for sharing
Freezin 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 1 2023, 06:22 PM) *

first.gif
peteinjp
If I weren't in Japan this is the route I'd go..... shipping has gone up! For this reason every household will have a 3d printer in the future. Its the new microwave....

Pete
Van B
Looks like a 911 aluminum cross member? Does the OE cover fit that cross member?
windforfun
CTTOI, Caplugs might have what you need. They used to provide free samples too.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 1 2023, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2023, 07:11 PM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

That's what she said.

I'm still stuck on the top being better than the bottom.
peteinjp
First draft: 100mm printed ring fits great. I’ll print it again with a full disc:

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jun 10 2023, 12:41 AM) *

First draft: 100mm printed ring fits great. I’ll print it again with a full disc:

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
peteinjp
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In case anyone wants to print draw and print:

Click to view attachment

Thats all folks!

Pete
porschetub
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 5 2023, 03:22 PM) *

Looks like a 911 aluminum cross member? Does the OE cover fit that cross member?

Yes but 2 of the mounting points for the undertray have to be modified...no big deal.
And of course the support brackets off a 911 as Pete has,I made my own out of 19 x 6mm flat bar mild steel .
Van B
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 14 2023, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 5 2023, 03:22 PM) *

Yes but 2 of the mounting points for the undertray have to be modified...no big deal.
And of course the support brackets off a 911 as Pete has,I made my own out of 19 x 6mm flat bar mild steel .

I know I'm treading near thread hi-jacking territory so, I'll keep it simple. The novelty of this mod interests me, but I wonder about the tangible benefits? Would love to hear experiences, if anyone, including OP would be able to offer a comparison of steel tube vs Al cast beam.

v/r,
Van
peteinjp
I know less than most as this mod was already on the car when I bought it. Aluminum obviously lighter but I did read a post stating that it flexes more than the steel. In that case I think it comes down to how hard the car will be driven. Personally on a street car I'm erring on set side of less weight.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 4 2023, 09:22 PM) *

You have to get the 911 cover that fits the aluminum crossmember and mounting brackets.

I have one on my big six if y'all need a picture.

peteinjp
This is what Doug had made for my car. Aluminum sheet:

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Beautiful work. I think your trunk drains (rubber pieces with flats) need to be rotated 90 degrees.

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.