914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
thomasotten
So sad. R.I.P.

https://youtu.be/3og_kkjV4nQ
wonkipop
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jun 5 2023, 03:28 PM) *

thats bad.
just out enjoying your porsche harmlessly and some crazed kook in a pumped up truck kills you. lock him up and throw away the keys. too good for hanging. let him rot in a hole somewhere. (Sorry for harshness, but......).

we got problems here with drugs (amph + meth) running rampart in the construction industry where workers are currently paid very high wages on mega transport infrastructure projects in this city down here. they all drive pumped trucks which they buy with their inflated wages and special tax write offs. you got to watch it on the roads during their commuter times. early morning and mid afternoon. lots of rage incidents (drug induced?). aggressive driving, extreme tailgating. etc. i have had a few up my cars arse and i just turn off to get rid of them before anything goes down.

the drugs combined with the "arms race" on vehicle size is starting to turn nasty.
throw roads choked with soccer mums in super big SUVs and its starting to be a lethal cocktail. since i drive mostly a hot hatch and occasionally my 914 its kind of getting to the point of being threatening if you get caught in the vicinity of one of their skirmishes.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Heartbreaking : (
StarBear
Gut-wrenching. sad.gif Be careful out there, folks!
Geezer914
Too many angry people on the road. Innocent people suffer the consequences. So sad.
914-300Hemi
Very sad.
Root_Werks
Very sad, stories such as this are too common.
Mikey914
Folks seem to think that in their cars they are invincible, and that somehow there is an anonymity to driving. If this were a grocery store and carts. One guy might simply say I didn't see you, or at least excuse me, I didn't mean to cut you off, but somehow when you get into a car this changes.

After riding a motorcycle for awhile, you realize they just don;t see you most of the time. Drive accordingly. And when someone does cut you off, just count it toward your good karma, and let it pass. If that's the worst thing that happens to you that day, I's say your having a pretty good day.

So sad to see innocent people were hurt.
porschetub
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jun 7 2023, 07:37 AM) *

Gut-wrenching. sad.gif Be careful out there, folks!

agree.gif that was a horrible video to watch sad.gif .
Looked like a turbo spec convertible...hard to tell.
flat4guy
You never know every time you leave the house if you will make it back - cherish your loved ones. This was a selfish act on their parts, over something stupid.
mate914
I can find the names of the people who passed away from this tragic out off control group. I have not been able to find the names of the drivers who caused this.
Did any one here catch the names? Are the names being protected because they are a protected class?

Matt flag.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jun 7 2023, 04:59 AM) *

I can find the names of the people who passed away from this tragic out off control group. I have not been able to find the names of the drivers who caused this.
Did any one here catch the names? Are the names being protected because they are a protected class?

Matt flag.gif

thats because you have the same legal system we have (more or less sort of), inherited from the english.
its highly evolved despite what we might think of it.
and they are now subject to the presumption of innocence, even charged.
as it should be.
generally the names are suppressed.

from here on its a matter for the courts.
as it should be.

objectivity in relation to evidence is how it works.
the fact that you cannot find the names is a signal of the seriousness.

i feel sad for the folks who lost their lives.
very sad. minding their own business.

its a serious matter. in the realm of manslaughter etc.
----

watch out in your 914 or your hot hatch. you don't want to be run into by an SUV or a US spec truck. they sell them here too. dodge rams etc. big vehicles.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jun 7 2023, 05:59 AM) *

Are the names being protected because they are a protected class?

post-2-1137106233.gif Don't go there.... I don't want to be forced to close this thread.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2023, 05:31 AM) *

post-2-1137106233.gif Don't go there.... I don't want to be forced to close this thread.

What TF is wrong with people? The names weren't being released because all of the family members hadn't been notified.

Rodney was a friend to all here in Salt Lake City. He was one of James' best friends. The car was an 87 Carrera that he was excited to finally get from local PCA friends. He auto-crossed with Diane when she first joined the club. He was the first one to welcome her in. He helped our community by scanning 914-6/GT flares and rocker panels for us (close enough to home yet?). He helped because he was that kind of person. He didn't deserve this. Nobody does.

Road Rage - We've all been guilty of some strong feelings behind the wheel. I doubt we've ever thought about the consequences of an innocent bystander. What Rodney has taught a lot of us is... "just back-off and back-out of it."
sixnotfour
Very Sad...
rhodyguy
When the person coming up on you wants to 100+ and you don’t get out of the way quick enough. Then someone is flying out of the median right beyond the next corner. Impressive combined closing speed.
sixnotfour
I want to believe they are pissed the aggressors names are not published..
rhodyguy
I think IF there are charges and bail set I would think it would be part of the public record. The vigilantes will be like vultures.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 7 2023, 06:53 PM) *

I want to believe they are pissed the aggressors names are not published..

Gotcha. Sorry, we’re all still a little riled up a bit here.
Montreal914
sad2.gif

...and very unsettling
Maltese Falcon
So sorry for the loss of your friends @Eric_Shea , this is a heart wrenching story to watch mad.gif
I'm constantly dodging poor drivers in L.A. traffic, especially the ones that are driving on the edge of your nerves; always giving up my right-of-way...just to let them get on with their distance away from me and my (what little) safe traveling space I can find.
Latest BS move on the streets is; the car in the left turn pocket jets accross the intersection when the light turns green/ never intended to turn left.
Extremely dangerous to intersection traffic, and if he can't move into traffic flow > just keeps hammering with higher speed up the middle of the street (no lane) until he can get to the next intersection. Rinse & Repeat headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 7 2023, 06:48 PM) *

Latest BS move on the streets is; the car in the left turn pocket jets accross the intersection when the light turns green/ never intended to turn left.

Saw that maneuver here for the first time a few days ago, but with a twist.
Waiting at a red light, two lanes going straight, one turning left.
Guy comes flying up from behind, gets in the left turning lane, passes everyone waiting on the red light, then turns *right* across two lanes and makes a right turn.
All at speed without ever stopping.
WTF.gif
Eric_Shea
Let’em go. Let’em be assholes. They have to live with that. We get to live with that…
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 7 2023, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2023, 05:31 AM) *

What TF is wrong with people? The names weren't being released because all of the family members hadn't been notified.

Rodney was a friend to all here in Salt Lake City. He was one of James' best friends. The car was an 87 Carrera that he was excited to finally get from local PCA friends. He auto-crossed with Diane when she first joined the club. He was the first one to welcome her in. He helped our community by scanning 914-6/GT flares and rocker panels for us (close enough to home yet?). He helped because he was that kind of person. He didn't deserve this. Nobody does.

Road Rage - We've all been guilty of some strong feelings behind the wheel. I doubt we've ever thought about the consequences of an innocent bystander. What Rodney has taught a lot of us is... "just back-off and back-out of it."

Sorry E,
I watched this video on YouTube and knew right away they’d have to be friends of you and D. I just spent last weekend with my son at WCR. I told him every time he growled about another driver to just laugh. Rodney sounds like our kind of guy. If I can help, let me know…
914-300Hemi
@ericshea please pass our condolences to the family.

iankarr
@eric_shea please let us know if there's a way we can make donations to charities or if the family has a gofundme set up. This is so sad.
Maltese Falcon
Road ragers feel empowered in their "Impenetrable" chariots, high speeds on public roads mean nothing, nor the innocent people they may entangle.
Give them their right of way and don't get tangled up with them.
Sunset Blvd 2am Tesla; in front of Pink Taco 35 zone, flat un-cambered street >crash + lithium battery inferno. Excess speed and hit the palm (crown sheared off) 3 critical, 1 RIP. Heros* rushed in and rescued 2, couldn't get front passenger out, driver fled and was found at local E/R. * Staff of Pink Taco pray.gif

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Just several nights ago, another early AM Sunset Blvd racer boy in a Lambo...opposite side of street from Pink Taco, looped it and smacked into the news-stand. These folks walked away only shaken up. Steer clear from these people, they have more money than brains, and are hazardous to our health.
Click to view attachment
mate914
I was talking about the people who caused this accident. I feel very sad about the victims.

HAVING lost my brother in a 914 car accident when he was 18 I have been through hell! Its a feeling you or your parents never want to have..

Matt flag.gif

mate914
Please stop harassing me Clay.

I was talking about the people who caused this accident. I feel very sad about the victims.

HAVING lost my brother in a 914 car accident when he was 18 I have been through hell! Its a feeling you or your parents never want to have..

Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2023, 07:31 AM) *

flipb
Everybody take a deep breath, and hug your loved ones extra tight today.

For those who want the details, here's some coverage.
https://www.ksl.com/article/50662217/driver...ls-2-police-say
vitamin914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 7 2023, 11:18 PM) *

@eric_shea please let us know if there's a way we can make donations to charities or if the family has a gofundme set up. This is so sad.

agree.gif

Road rage is too real and too common. This type of event is disgusting no matter where it happens. It is even more painful when it happens to someone in our community.

I once had an idiot in a pick up truck race ahead and cut me off with his truck at 90 degrees to the road. He jumped out, came up to my window screaming at me. I think my sin was that my tires chirped on a damp road at the previous light? I had made no eye contact with the idiot when I had pulled up next to him at the stop light. Up until then I was always behind him. I did absolutely nothing to antagonize the guy. Didn't pass him, literally nothing. I was in a state of disbelief and shock while the moron was jumping up and down wanting to have a fight. All I did was apologize to him for upsetting him and that there was no intent to anger him. To this day I truly don't know what I apologized for. Maybe he was high on something.

Thankfully my apologizing defused the situation and he drove off. Giving the idiot the road worked. I sometimes wonder if I had reached for my phone to call 911 what would have happened - might have set the guy off completely.
The event so shook me that I now have dash cams and pepper spray in every vehicle I have.

@eric_shea
If there is something set up to let us express our concern and condolences with a donation I would be more than happy to help out.

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 7 2023, 10:18 PM) *

https://gofund.me/19a694d5
Puebloswatcop
This is such a sad tragedy.

I can assure you, after having been responsible for investigating these tragic accidents for more than 5 years, there is no conspiracy by the police to protect the names of victims or perpetrators.

First thing is that victims relatives need to be properly notified, after all would anyone want to hear of their loved ones death via the news? Then you also have to do a proper investigation and build a case against the perpetrator, once charges are officially entered it then generally becomes a matter of public record. To prematurely release this type of information can cause all kinds of legal issues.

Allow time for these things to be sorted out and all of the information will eventually be released.

My condolences to those who lost their lives to such careless and irresponsible actions.

I just hope that state law in Utah allows for some type of homicide charges and the person responsible pays a long debt for what he has done
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jun 8 2023, 12:15 PM) *

This is such a sad tragedy.

I can assure you, after having been responsible for investigating these tragic accidents for more than 5 years, there is no conspiracy by the police to protect the names of victims or perpetrators.

First thing is that victims relatives need to be properly notified, after all would anyone want to hear of their loved ones death via the news? Then you also have to do a proper investigation and build a case against the perpetrator, once charges are officially entered it then generally becomes a matter of public record. To prematurely release this type of information can cause all kinds of legal issues.

Allow time for these things to be sorted out and all of the information will eventually be released.

My condolences to those who lost their lives to such careless and irresponsible actions.

I just hope that state law in Utah allows for some type of homicide charges and the person responsible pays a long debt for what he has done

he surrendered to police hes been booked and charged with 2nd degree homicide and
wreck less driving, endangerment etc.
ClayPerrine
It was not intended as harassment and I apologize.

The use of "protected class" projected an unintended image of political/racial commentary.

Again, I apologize. I mis-interpreted it.

Clay

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jun 8 2023, 06:09 AM) *

Matt flag.gif

mate914

Thank you.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 8 2023, 04:29 PM) *

It was not intended as harassment and I apologize.

The use of "protected class" projected an unintended image of political/racial commentary.

Again, I apologize. I mis-interpreted it.

Clay

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jun 8 2023, 06:09 AM) *

Matt flag.gif

sixnotfour
Shit Head Rage Driver has been Identified...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2023, 10:30 PM) *

Shit Head Rage Driver has been Identified...

Yup, he has about 6 Speed violations going back to 2010. One of them, he was clocked at 107mph which the officer reduced to 102mph because he was contrite on scene. That 5mph made a huge difference in the charge. He paid a $400+ fine.

See Eric’s gofundme.
vitamin914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 8 2023, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 7 2023, 10:18 PM) *

https://gofund.me/19a694d5

Thanks Eric

Just donated $100.
Eric_Shea
“Missing Man (and woman) Formation” at the track today.
Shivers
Breaks my heart. Two young folks out for a drive in a dream come true. Just hard to imagine what their family and friends are going through. So sad
Lucky9146
Very sad to see something like this and a terrible senseless loss.

From the video posted it is easy to find additional coverage news videos that provide names and all the information that folks earlier in the thread were wondering about. I'll give no details as like I said the info is easily available now.

In one video I did a screen shot of Eric's friend Rodney and his car. I post it as a tribute as the Porsche community is in fact small.

Click to view attachment

Brett W
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 5 2023, 04:59 PM) *

we got problems here with drugs (amph + meth) running rampart in the construction industry where workers are currently paid very high wages on mega transport infrastructure projects in this city down here. they all drive pumped trucks which they buy with their inflated wages and special tax write offs. you got to watch it on the roads during their commuter times. early morning and mid afternoon. lots of rage incidents (drug induced?). aggressive driving, extreme tailgating. etc. i have had a few up my cars arse and i just turn off to get rid of them before anything goes down.

the drugs combined with the "arms race" on vehicle size is starting to turn nasty.
throw roads choked with soccer mums in super big SUVs and its starting to be a lethal cocktail. since i drive mostly a hot hatch and occasionally my 914 its kind of getting to the point of being threatening if you get caught in the vicinity of one of their skirmishes.

WTF does this have to do with some ass clown killing two innocent pedestrians? You have any proof of these bizarre allegations?

The "arms race in vehicle sizes"? Where have you been the last 30 years. The Ferd Excursion was introduced in 2003. This isn't a recent thing. Vehicles have been for the last few decades. This senseless tragedy has nothing to do with "the arms race in vehicle sizes". A truck hit a car head on, not much survives that.

These people lost their lives because and asshole got his feelings hurt. His parents probably didn't beat his ass enough as a kid. He thinks he is entitled to the road.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 13 2023, 01:33 PM) *
Where have you been the last 30 years

Judging from his profile, i'd say Australia ...
shades.gif
mate914

This does nothing for the lives lost. Go after the driver "in a legal manner" or DA, not some one half way around the world. wonkipop did not do this.
Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 13 2023, 04:33 PM) *

WTF does this have to do with some ass clown killing two innocent pedestrians? You have any proof of these bizarre allegations?

The "arms race in vehicle sizes"? Where have you been the last 30 years. The Ferd Excursion was introduced in 2003. This isn't a recent thing. Vehicles have been for the last few decades. This senseless tragedy has nothing to do with "the arms race in vehicle sizes". A truck hit a car head on, not much survives that.

These people lost their lives because and asshole got his feelings hurt. His parents probably didn't beat his ass enough as a kid. He thinks he is entitled to the road.

wonkipop
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 13 2023, 02:33 PM) *

i don't disagree with you. read my post a little more carefully before you go off like a two bob watch. beerchug.gif

the aggression (often chemically enhanced) involved in many road rage incidents combined with mismatched vehicle size is an international problem. you are not alone in this one. and its often got the same consequences all over the planet, someone entirely innocent and uninvolved in the original incident pays for it dearly when it gets wildly out of control.
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2023, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 13 2023, 01:33 PM) *
Where have you been the last 30 years

Judging from his profile, i'd say Australia ...
shades.gif

biggrin.gif
although some cynics down here regard australia as a satellite suburb of the USA.

but seriously, this particular sad incident in the USA, is also now not unusual down here either. used to be road rage would be a couple of idiots got out at the lights and punched the sh#t out of each other or tore a windscreen wiper off and belted the other guy with it. worst that happened was that someone lost a tooth or bit their own tongue.

but now we are getting the run the other guy off the road bs happening - and at speed.
the vehicle size has something to do with the sense of recklessness in my humble view.
feeling like you are not vulnerable. definite escalation and becoming a lot more common.
Shivers
Vehicles have super sized over the past few years. In the mid 80’s
I bought Ford F-250 4x4 diesel raised it 7” to fit 40” tires. I was driving LA
freeways and wanted protection. This kind of craziness was going on back then. Hell they were shooting at us. But these new “stock” trucks are huge, bigger than my ford. So in my view it is the same stupid shit with bigger weapons. And these two folks paid the price.
gandalf_025
First ride in the wife's 911 this spring, I was driving and stopped at a light.
When the light changed I started moving and stalled the car. {oops, my bad}
The kid behind me at the light lost his shit and started blowing the horn like crazy and screaming at me.
The road we were on has a 25 mph speed limit and is patrolled extensively.
He was climbing on my bumper and weaving like crazy while still screaming.
I pulled over to let him pass and they pulled up alongside and screamed he was going to kill me and his passenger threw a full bottle of coke at us. We were lucky the bottle was plastic and it hit the windshield.
I turned to go after him to get his plate number but my wife was having no part of it..
This was early on a Sunday morning...

I don't have a dash camera in the 911 but will be buying one.
One with front and rear facing cameras like the one in my wife's Honda HR-V....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.